Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding/Handling differences between in-line fours and twins?

Wow! Thanks for all the information, everybody. Lots to ponder here.

The Ninja 1000 is a transverse I-4, according to the very complimentary review in Rider Magazine. Final drive is chain, not shaft.

I very much doubt the Kawasaki dealer in Albuquerque would allow a test ride. The only one that I've heard does is PJ's Triumph/Ducati.

Good to know about the power and and engine braking. I do use engine braking quite a bit on my 650 on curvy roads.

As far as the FZ-09, it was also reviewed in the same Rider issue as the Ninja 1K. One thing that immediately soured me on it was the description of its abrupt, jerky throttle response at lower speeds. I had that same issue with my Versys, which was moderately resolved by swapping out the rear sprocket from a 46T to a 44T. Even then, I had to finesse the throttle and clutch quite a bit when riding through town.

Again, thanks for your input. I probably will mull this over quite a bit more. After all, MSRP on the new Ninja is $11,999.
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    How about the Primary drive, is it gear or chain ?

"abrupt, jerky throttle response at lower speeds." <- messing with the throttle too much, blipping the engine, over-revving and poor clutch/throttle control may well account for those reported problems, modern PGM-FI fuel systems and hi-tech valve trains do not like all that confusion, the correct way to operate them is to start from idle and roll it on smooth after the clutch is all the way out. you know they do have a computer in there to maintain the idle and everything else, it won't stall out like an old 2 stroke but some people insist on driving them like that.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    As far as the FZ-09, it was also reviewed in the same Rider issue as the Ninja 1K. One thing that immediately soured me on it was the description of its abrupt, jerky throttle response at lower speeds. ..
    Well the FZ09's throttle by wire is a sore point in some reviews. Wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha eventually comes out with a different power map.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Manufacturers are constantly introducing new power maps, just as computer software developers are constantly deploying service patches & updates, but unless an awful lot of people are reporting a similar jerky throttle response at lower speeds problem I wouldn't pay individual reports much attention. Could be the jerk is the carbon unit holding the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by smoore View Post
    After all, MSRP on the new Ninja is $11,999.
    How much is it thru CostCo?
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

The thing that really struck me when I moved from my R1100RS (horizontally opposed twin) to my K1200RS (Inline 4) was the difference in engine vibrations. I had adapted to the twin so much, I "knew" how fast I was going just by the feel of the engine. Not so the I-4 - much too smooth. The speedometer really became important, particularly to preserve my license.
    Chaz

"In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun." - Loudon Wainwright III

'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitardad View Post
    The thing that really struck me when I moved from my R1100RS (horizontally opposed twin) to my K1200RS (Inline 4) was the difference in engine vibrations. I had adapted to the twin so much, I "knew" how fast I was going just by the feel of the engine. Not so the I-4 - much too smooth. The speedometer really became important, particularly to preserve my license.
    Yeah, this is one reason I love my twin. I can feel the engine working down there, and somehow that's part of the whole "I'm riding a motorcycle!" feeling (which is why I ride the damn things, after all). Personally, I find most I4s have less of that feel--it's like listening to an over-engineered recording as opposed to live music. And really, you can go fast enough to lose your license on a twin--but at least you feel like you're going fast when you do!

If you want to experience "smooth," though, try a Gold Wing

It's true that an I4 isn't really "open for business" until it's wound up a bit. A 650cc twin may have it all over a 600cc I4 down low. But 1000cc is quite a displacement advantage over your 650. I don't have the specs in front of me, but don't be surprised if that liter bike makes almost as much torque "loafing along" at 3000 rpm as your 650 does at 7500 rpm. I love twins. I've owned nothing but twins and Thumpers for the last 10 or 12 years, but big ol' I4s have more grunt down low than we're lead to believe sometimes.
    - Tom -

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Caesare Innocente

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I rode a Ducati 999 and a GSX-R1000 a few years back. The differences are amazing. The 999's torque and engine braking hits like a sledgehammer with the slightest twist of the throttle. The Gixxer-thou has a smoother power delivery, but when the poweband hits, it was like the hand of god giving you a shove in the back.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Sportrider has the peak torque of the stock ninja 650 at 41.8 (ft-lb)

According t0 sportrider, the ninja 1000 makes that much torque somewhere right around 2200 RPM.

So yeah, inline fours suck down low!!!!!!!

In reality, the ninja 1000 will make more torque right at roll out at than the ninja 650 does at its peak.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650