Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Riding/Handling differences between in-line fours and twins?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    I was intimidated up until the moment I left the parking lot on my new I4 bike. Then I took the long way home which was about 200 miles instead of 2.

It was much easier to ride than I had anticipated.
    I agree with the Captain. I never meant to imply that an experienced rider should fear a big inline 4. I just know that us Twin guys can sometimes make it sound as if riding an I4 around town is a nightmare of rowing up and down through the gears all day. With the big ones that's just not the case.
    - Tom -

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Caesare Innocente

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    I agree with the Captain. I never meant to imply that an experienced rider should fear a big inline 4. I just know that us Twin guys can sometimes make it sound as if riding an I4 around town is a nightmare of rowing up and down through the gears all day. With the big ones that's just not the case.
    It's not the case with a 600 I4 either. When people say they are anemic around town, I believe its someone who has never ridden one.
    My ZZR would lift the front wheel from a stop just as easy as my 650 can.
    And the 919, holy cow, that bike was a fun one!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    In a similar vein.. The HyperStrada. Urban mode is only 75Hp (110 Hp Sport mode or 110 Hp Touring mode with traction control).
    Paging Wanderlust. Paging Wanderlust to the white courtesy phone....
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)

RiderCoach 3000 Posts! Prof._HH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    ... I just know that us Twin guys can sometimes make it sound as if riding an I4 around town is a nightmare of rowing up and down through the gears all day. With the big ones that's just not the case.
    I see a lot of folks around here that short shift their sport bikes. If you're shifting around 4k, you're going to be doing a lot of shifting. Get them up into the 12k+ range and it's not that big a deal. I get what you're saying Tom. I've heard that opinion and tried to coach riders who held firmly to it. When the bike is easily able to merge at interstate speeds in 1st or 2nd gear (3rd for the FJR), the "shift all the time" thing just doesn't hold water.
    My boss said to dress for the job I want, not the one I have.

Now, I'm waiting for my meeting with H.R. about my blue tights and cape.
    FML

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As a former I-4 600 rider, I can say we row through the gears just because we like to hear the vroom of rev matching downshifts.

Most street riders on middleweight sportbikes use too high of a gear - esp in the twisties.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Resurrecting an old thread -- Ninja 1000 for sale in ABQ

((waves)) Hi, everybody.

A used Ninja 1000 ABS has finally come up for sale in Albuquerque. Like an idiot, I foolishly went and sat on it this past Saturday. And dammit: I fit.

2015 Ninja 1000 ABS at Albuquerque Ducati

It's definitely clean. Apparently has had two previous owners. Should I be concerned about a three-year-old bike having that few miles on it?

If it's still there on this coming Saturday, I'm taking it for a test ride. I'm sure my insurance company will be thrilled to take my money....

steph moore
    New Mexico, USA

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    I wouldn't be concerned about that few miles, esp given your mechanical ability to check out what you need to.

Hope it works out in your favor!
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hard bags and everything! Dooo eet!

Psst.. it's only 6hrs from ABQ to here, just sayin'
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Update:

Test rode it. Freaked me out for the first 10 minutes, then I settled in for the last 10. Seems relatively docile at lower speeds that I was using for the majority of the test ride, although I can tell you it accelerates *fantastically* to get on a busy freeway in ABQ. Not too bad ergonomically. The seat is low enough for my short inseams. And I still hate Kawasaki mirrors because they still haven't figured out how to make them usable, no matter what level sportbike they're on.

They are asking $6,000 out the door, which is below both KBB and NADA values for a 2015 bike.

I put down a deposit. Dammit.

So, uh, yay me?
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Hell yeah! YAY YOU!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)