Page 90 of 140 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    But I was asking seriously. What makes it a killer machine?
    Would it suffice to say: the underlying Unix architecture and about a 20 year software advance on the competition that allows them to make full use of present day hardware advancements. Or do we need to get right into what Unix, PostScript, Mach, and about a zillion other things are, because that will require a lot of reading,
    starting here -> https://developer.apple.com

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    Not having to re-install Windows on my wife's PC two or three times a year is justification enough for me.
    How could you possibly have to?! Two or three timed a year? I rarely find a reload is necessary - even for users who are not careful web browsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Well that was back in the days of Windows 98, which would grind to a slow painful death in a year or so even when treated properly. And it had no user access control, so a creative chair-to-keyboard-interface problem could easily FUBAR the system. Granted, newer versions of Windows are much better than that.

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know it's going to be a fun afternoon when you receive a cell phone photograph of someone's computer screen attached to an email sideways.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Today we get a message from the primary client with an invitation to test out their new toy, "Skype for Business" desktop sharing. Since we use Skype internally, you'd think it would be OK, right?

No, it isn't Skype at all. Microsoft had purchased a program called "Lync", which was a competitor to Skype, which they also own. Lync was made part of Office 2013 and Office 365. It's an expensive add-on service OR an expensive in-house server application for Office. Except they decided to make it look like what they've turned Skype into, and call it "Skype for Business". It doesn't integrate with Skype directly, but they have plug-ins that will allow them to interact, and plug-ins that make browsers work with it.

All in all, it violates our security policies at several levels. We're actually surprised the client's security people authorized it to be used on THEIR network, considering that they consider Skype to be a "forbidden technology" (skype.com is blocked on their network)!

I suggested that we should get laptops for everyone that we can install all the crap the client wants us to have, hook them up to internet via a separate network, and include a mechanism to wipe them and restore the start-up image each time they're used.... That didn't fly very far.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

I hate lync. We are using webex which works well for our purposes. Our IT Program team is always trying to get us on Lync for conference calls but it never works with more than 6 people. Even worse, the echo suppression is horrible so before you know it you're in classic year 2000 VOIP echo hell.
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The only reason for discussing Lync or anything else is that they are in love with doing "live demos" on "shared desktops". Easily half of the time on calls involving that are discussion of how to get control over it to do something, why doesn't it work here, etc.

We have avoided most of it because everything wants to install unknown add-ons to the browser, OR require Java.

Any Java-based solution is a non-starter for us, as the Java runtime is forbidden on our networks. There is no such thing as a secure version of JRE - each "security fix" moves a select few of the unknown security issues to the known category.

Honestly, if you REALLY need to show someone how something works, do a scripted, recorded session and send them the video, rather than a live, on-the-fly, hope-I-don't-screw-it-up-royally shared desktop session. Once watched a demo where the person doing the demo exposed his admin credentials because he forgot what he was doing and who in the world was watching him doing it....

And why do they insist we create demo accounts for the solutions, that we can let the customer play on, and see how things work, on their own schedule?
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    We use Lync by default here. Day one, supervisor said "if you get on Lync, everyone's going to bother you. Internally here we are on Skype."

So I've used Lync maybe a handful of times in the 19 months I've been here. The desktop share is cool, especially when you're getting step by step instructions on how to get something set up. But that's the extent of my use/knowledge of Lync.

For demos, meetings, presentations, etc, we use webex.

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    And how funny...

We are being bombarded with emails from IT letting us know Lync is down and they're working on it.

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I've used LYNC but only as an IM service internally. It's fine for that. Would not use it as a Skype replacement though
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided