Page 130 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1393

Thread: IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    Hubby asked if I was going to buy a whip.
    Potato Babe sent me one years ago named "The Problem Solver". It works!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    And it's official.

I have been picked to be Scrum Master of the next scrum team starting Feb 6.

Hubby asked if I was going to buy a whip.
    Scrum master needs a box of chocolates, not a whip. Many, many boxes of chocolates, actually. I recommend Trader Joe's brandy filled dark chocolate, it has magical powers over nerds.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Is it just me, or does anyone else start laughing their ass off when imagining a group of nerds participating in an actual scrum?

As far as my current place in the realm of geekdom, I'm currently working with the IBM Watson Cognitive solutions team on developing technology to assist in getting services to Wounded Warriors. I keep wondering exactly how I ever got picked for this fellowship in the first place...

The Watson team who worked with our prototype were the geekiest guys I've ever worked with
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Helen, Scott Adams has a comic for you:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2017-02-06
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!

The boss sent out this one the other day:
    http://dilbert.com/strip/2005-11-16

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    The client ... proudly mind you ... says ... "Oh yes, all our branches run their own FLAT FILE Databases so that if Salt Lake is offline they can keep going".

FLAT FILE databases ...

O M F G
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Blog Entries
    And they're probably in different formats for each office....

Could be worse, they could be in BTrieve format, running in a language that became unsupported a couple of years after I rewrote the manual for it 15+ years ago.

Just had one today - "Can you send us a copy of the last update file we sent you 5 months ago? We can't seem to find anyone who knows how it is laid out!"
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Blog Entries
    XML is a wonderful thing. Except when it's a pain the ass...

Customer wants some data added to their XML transfer file. They send us a data map that says it should be formatted like this:

Code:
    <MassPhysicalDimension>
    	<Volume>
    		<Unit>CUI</Unit>
    		<Value>117</Value>
    		<Type>GRS</Type>
    	</Volume>
    	<Weight>
    		<Unit>KIG</Unit>
    		<Value>23</Value>
    		<Type>CHR</Type>
    	</Weight>
    <MassPhysicalDimension>
    But, a year ago, they also sent a sample file, where the XML has lots of data validation and name space information added:

Code:
    <dl:MassPhysicalDimension>
    	<upd:Volume>
    		<upd:Unit identifier="UnitOfMeasure" codeListVersion="01.03" agency="RosettaNet">CUI</upd:Unit>
    		<upd:Value>117</upd:Value>
    		<upd:Type identifier="WeightType" codeListVersion="01.01" agency="RosettaNet">GRS</upd:Type>
    	</upd:Volume>
    	<upd:Weight>
    		<upd:Unit identifier="UnitOfMeasure" codeListVersion="01.03" agency="RosettaNet">KIG</upd:Unit>
    		<upd:Value>23</upd:Value>
    		<upd:Type identifier="WeightType" codeListVersion="01.01" agency="RosettaNet">CHR</upd:Type>
    	</upd:Weight>
    </dl:MassPhysicalDimension>
    Note the identifier="WeightType" in the Volume container... We questioned this.

And are now in day 2 of getting them to realize that what we are asking about is something that is NOT in the data map, but in their example, and really isn't part of the XML per se, and no, the documentation does not give the correct answer.

We've finally decided that we're going to change it to "VolumeType", and let their parser tell us if it is correct or not, since they can't figure it out. We're tired of playing "get answers to questions not asked" with them.

And yes, I do believe the problem is a language barrier - none of the people involved in the technical portion are native English speakers. It took several months for them to compose the one page change request for this. Not to mention the perception barrier - They're slavishly devoted to a document that is incomplete and incorrect in many cases, so when we question the inconsistencies, they cannot see them, and say we have to follow the document.

But, this is why we get paid...
    Jeff

'13 XT250

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Xml can be fun, especially when you're trying to parse it. I spent last week in a class learning some more advanced R programming. There was 'free time' in the class for us to work on whatever sort of project struck our fancy. The guy next to me was working out how to sort through the IP traffic from their users, including geo-coding it to see where stuff was flitting about to. Lots and lots (and lots) of low-level stuff, and huge spikes at Google, Google ads, other ads... and Facebook. I spent the free time for the week writing a web scraper that will (eventually) read in every available ad on craigslist (up to the 2500 per-category viewable limit), EVERYWHERE in the country. The idea is that I can filter by every craigslist site within some distance from me, pull ads that meet my search criteria (search term, common misspellings, etc), then grab the lat/lon and other data for those ads specifically. Magic wonder-widget listed by someone in Annapolis, but not in Baltimore or DC? And misspelled? But inside the 200-mile radius I'm willing to drive? This algorithm should find it.

Currently it'll pull the 2500 ads from the unfiltered main page of the DC craigslist site, but I've pulled the links 416 other craigslists in the country (and their geo-codes for placing dummy lat/lon for those ads without them), and getting the multi-site pull and search up and running is a couple of for loops away.