Page 101 of 140 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1393

Thread: IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Coworker sent instant message: Just ran the Windows Update - hey, that Windows 10 interface is pretty slick!

I replied: You are dead to me....
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I must say I've had W10 installed on my PC For several months with no real issues. However, of 4 clients who installed it I had to roll back ..... wait let me count .... 1....2....3.... Oh yeah! All 4! Actually that's not exactly true. One of 'em was just today and it was just a roll back to the previous build. Seems the pc would boot to what seemed like a login screen or desktop but no display. All of the others had incompatability issues with software and/or hardware. Ugghhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Coworker sent instant message: Just ran the Windows Update - hey, that Windows 10 interface is pretty slick!

I replied: You are dead to me....
    Of course it's slick, everything is so easy with less features. Even the error reporting is more accessible to the everyday user...

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzyclone View Post
    Of course it's slick, everything is so easy with less features. Even the error reporting is more accessible to the everyday user...

Definitely not very informative, is it? Why the idiots at MS insist on dumbing down the OS is beyond me. By doing so they just make it harder to use. Every iteration of Windows seems to add layers that "protect" the user from being able to interact with the OS in any useful way. Just finding the control panel in W8 and W10 is ridiculously convoluted via the menus. Really, left clicking on the start menu to do anything besides customize the start menu? Why would the designers think that anyone would find that intuitive? The people at MS are clueless about useability. I don't care how many focus groups they put this stuff in front of. I can still be more productive with the old menu driven interfaces instead of all these stupid icons and ribbons. I feel like I've gone back in time using these new OS's. I've reverted to using the run and search options and <gasp> typing as a quick way to start programs and get to places that MS has deemed better off hidden from view. So frustrating sometimes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    So far they have come, so Far:

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    So far they have come, so Far:
    The good news about that is you can do this...

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    After my last attempt at booting a "compatible PC" to Windows 10 and getting their Blue Screen of death .. I'm very leery about trying again ....
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    Outlook question....

I have a bunch of mystery calendar entries that keep reappearing after I delete them. They show up as authored by me. I delete them, and they reappear around 6pm each day.

What do I look for? A weird pst file lurking somewhere? and ical file?
    Try deleting them, then going to the deleted folder and deleting them again, for good.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    Definitely not very informative, is it? Why the idiots at MS insist on dumbing down the OS is beyond me.
    What would you actually DO if the message has given you the exact memory location and call stack at the moment of the unrecoverable exception?

Exactly.

In other news, why don't you people would just swallow the bullet and upgrade to W10? You know it's inevitable, would make you safer, and the lives of those who keep you safe easier. What's the source of this irrational, boneheaded, counterproductive resistance?
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    In other news, why don't you people would just swallow the bullet and upgrade to W10? You know it's inevitable, would make you safer, and the lives of those who keep you safe easier. What's the source of this irrational, boneheaded, counterproductive resistance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #218
    Sometimes what you get free costs entirely too much.
    Already have experience trying to get Win10 to cooperate with existing applications. And with trying to get it to cooperate with the network it needs to run on. Neither ended well. I do tech support on a forum for an application that is "Win10 compliant"... but still has problems because Windows will (seemingly) randomly decide to consider the executable or one of the DLLs to be a security threat, and delete it.

In all cases, wiping the machine, installing Win7 and reconstructing the data has been the only solution to getting it working again.

I've read about people who loved what Win10 is and does. Haven't met one yet. They may all be AI BOTs planted on the net by Microsoft.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)