Page 100 of 140 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1393

Thread: IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

Hittin' The Twisties buzzyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post

Sometimes living and working in UT can be a pain in the butt.
    I feel your pain working in Utah myself. I prefer to use Star Trek planets. Ceti_Alpha_6 and 5 keep getting mixed up though.

Last edited by buzzyclone; 12-04-2015 at 02:30 PM.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Used to use favorite actors/actresses or characters. Using family member names is awkward, especially when they're in the room and you're discussing what the server screwed up on...

More mundane names now - either the location or the function, and a number. Fortunately, there aren't enough of them to have to resort to geocoded names by row, rack, and position.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

... sometimes I hate my life.

As you guys know I switched from actively working with systems to straight business side roles about two years ago (BI tools, program/portfolio management, business cases, finance roles, strategic planning yada yada bullshit). Unfortunately our IT bureaucracy is atrocious and most of the IT program staff never coded, worked with databases (or even advanced excel) or held an IT role before coming onboard to their current position. I spend days playing telephone trying to get a basic answers before any action can begin. I hate it.

Luckily over the last two years I've developed plenty of contacts within the dev/ops teams. If you know the lingo, are realistic in your asks and recognize team member excellence you can build some incredible connections. It's helped me out a few times here to get needed data or validation in a few days versus months through our process starting with a project initiation form that needs to go through two executive committees before performing... a basic query looking for maybe 5,000 rows.

Monday I was out of the office but an SVP needed a critical info. I got back in on tuesday, bought two guys lunch to discuss the problem, pulled a favor and get him a report by Thursday afternoon. He just forwarded me a quote for services from IT. Did I pull resources away from critical projects? Are they billing inter-departmentally for provided services? Nope. Have you guessed it yet?

The IT program team couldn't get their heads around how to pull the info so they reached out to Accenture to get a quote. It's $5,000 just for discovery and another $15,000 to compile and present the information. It took a guy in our EDW and a SME on a specialized system about 30 minutes over lunch to figure out the method needed & validate the information. They ran it overnight, confirmed the data and provided it to me within 24 hours of making the request.

I don't know what I expected. This is the same time who hired a contract Project Manager who couldn't keep stakeholders updated, openly lied to us then delivered a project 1 year behind schedule which led to $10 million in payouts to regulatory fines and lawsuits... I finally understand what it's like to work in a large corp.
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

Blog Entries
    Just had to put out a message to everyone in the company to make SURE their Windows Update settings are NOT on automatic....

http://www.computerworld.com/article...tml#tk.rss_all

Within our "circle" of people, there are 2 machines with Win10 on them. Both are being considered for a "wipe-and-reinstall" of Win7, since the option of undoing the "upgrade" had passed before the incompatibilies started crashing down upon the users.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    Seriously .. do NOT call me the moment you get an email from me. READ the damn email, digest it, THEN call me with questions ...

UGH!
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post
    Seriously .. do NOT call me the moment you get an email from me. READ the damn email, digest it, THEN call me with questions ...

UGH!
    Hi Clair - I didn't quite understand this. Can you call me at extension ***** to walk me through it?
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by storysunfolding View Post
    Hi Clair - I didn't quite understand this. Can you call me at extension ***** to walk me through it?
    If that were to happen say .. at least 60 seconds after I sent the email sure. But within 5 seconds of hitting send .. NO
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Outlook question....

I have a bunch of mystery calendar entries that keep reappearing after I delete them. They show up as authored by me. I delete them, and they reappear around 6pm each day.

What do I look for? A weird pst file lurking somewhere? and ical file?
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    There is a fix pst application that you can run from a command prompt … I think its called "fixpst" or something equally simple as that. It takes a crazy long time to run, but it works.

… it might be "scanpst.exe"

Blog Entries
    SCANPST.EXE, found somewhere in the system where ever Microsoft hid your actual Outlook program. You will need to know where your PST file(s) are, and you will PROBABLY have to run it several times to get it to come back with no errors.

We have people who have it linked on their desktop, because Outlook can corrupt its PST file just by opening it.
    Jeff

'13 XT250