Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138 LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1372

Thread: IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't get me started on rushed deadlines...

We have a number of projects that had to be done "right away" to secure business from this or that customer, which, 4 to 7 years later, still hasn't been secured. There's been a lot of, "Can you do this?" questions asked lately where our answers have been, "Yes, we implemented that in 2012 as an emergency request for XXXX, who has never used it. Who wants it now?"

Current rush project isn't even a project yet - it's at the "coalescing vision" stage. We can't officially work on it until a work order is issued, which can't be issued until the requirements document is completed, which isn't being worked on yet because testing has to be done to see if it is even feasible, but they want working samples tomorrow.

That's the real advantage of "doing it right the first time", though... It's easier to deal with the NEXT "tiny change".
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    That old truism... "If you don't have time to do it right, you sure as hell don't have time to do it TWICE!"

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Heh. We generate out data in Amazon AWS and save it to S3. This new, multi-billion dollar partner, however, insists on receiving files over SFTP, uncompressed. Well, sure, after several rounds of back and forth, I tell my guys to set up SFTP upload script of 0.5 TB worth of comma-separated files. We leave for lunch, and I jokingly tell my guys that they will soon come to their senses and see the light. What do you know, five minutes later I get the email from them that their SFTP server is crashing and could we please share our data over S3.

We had a good laugh about it and another beer at lunch.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline SaskRider's Avatar
    Proficiency in HTML, JS, CSS, PHP and MySQL is a requirement for my job according to my Job Description (yeah, I checked it while working on my resume and LinkedIn). 3 years ago they hired a guy who knows nothing about that (or being a sysadmin for that matter, but that's a whole other rant).

They've run out of things for him to do (must be nice), so they have him modifying a web form I built to interface with our ERP. Should've taken 2 - 3 days tops (and that's being really generous). Five weeks into the project and he's still not done. Now that he's out of the HTML and into the JS, PHP and MySQL he's been calling me on Skype so I can hold his hand and walk him through what he needs to do.

The irony is that my former manager thought it would be a good idea to hire him because he had prior experience as a project manager (in the financial industry) and it would be beneficial for our 3 person team. We would've been getting way more projects done if he'd hired someone who actually knew the fundamentals of the job he was hired for.

/rant
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE
    2013 Suzuki DR200SE

Blog Entries
    Maybe that's why he's your FORMER manager?

I think it is weird to have a "project manager" when there are just three people, although it might be necessary if there are 40 people making demands of those 3 people.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    Out of the nine or so project managers in our department there were maybe two of us that had significant coding experience. One was a recent hire contractor brought in for the company split (real young but smart) and the other was me. I realized that I had a lot of other things to do and didn't code anything more complex than a few Access queries to filter records out of a feed. If you have a PM coding then you really don't need that person as a PM.

And don't get me started on IT PMs that have zero background in IT.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraft07 View Post
    And don't get me started on IT PMs that have zero background in IT.
    Does yours stop at the PMs? Our PgMs, Directors of Technology and Planning, Senior Directors of IT and VPs have close to zero knowledge in IT.

One boasted about their call center experience during a powergrab of one of our SaaS platforms as if to explain why that should live with him. His team was supposed to be replacing an old .NET application but they've now gone 210% over budget, admitted their application won't meet but 30% of the initial requirements and is going to be a year late.

Even better - his LEAD solutions architect who specializes in this platform still calls me after forgetting where the setup console is located.

Don't get me wrong - I'm nowhere near an expert in any of the technologies I use, but I admit to it and continue to work with the teams to learn more as appropriate.
    90% of happiness is choosing the right ethicist.
    WoodstockJeff: It's amazing how much looking ahead keeps you in the audience of the play known as "Stupid Traffic Stunts", rather than up on the stage...
    speeddemon: "Sarchasm: the aching void across which one cannot see that one has been pwned."

Can't seem to post my full avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Maybe that's why he's your FORMER manager?

I think it is weird to have a "project manager" when there are just three people, although it might be necessary if there are 40 people making demands of those 3 people.
    He was offered another job. Don't blame him for taking it - our IT department lost most of its autonomy after our company was sold.

I've always thought it was weird considering my boss and his boss prioritized the needs/requests for IT resources. For a brief period, I'd report to my co-worker on the status of my projects and then have to turn around and have the exact same conversation with my boss during our weekly meetings. I was talking to my VP today and he raved about his project management, so apparently there must be something I'm not seeing.
    2013 Suzuki DR200SE

Blog Entries
    Sometimes, certain people "do not receive" emails I send to them. Sometimes, they say they "don't get them". I'm convinced that they're one in the same thing.
    Jeff

'13 XT250

I had to make a change to my email account. Same email address but as far as Exchange is concerned it's different so people's cached autocomplete entry fails delivery.

If you're in IT, getting your emails to the recipient's inbox is easy. Getting them to read it is the hard part.
    2013 Suzuki DR200SE