Page 1 of 138 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar

IT Geek Speak ... IT Professionals and the like

Okay, so in the Rant thread a lot of us IT folks gripe in there about lots of stuff. So I figured maybe a thread specific to those of us in IT, regardless of what we do in the IT Arena. This can be rants, discussions, whatever.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

I'm a salaried contractor for my IT Company. Salaried with benefits and OT. Good company, we have a bench policy that is pretty good and long term. I don't make the most $$ that I could due to these benefits but I like that if my contract ends I still get paid for however long it takes them to find me another gig. Our Bench can last months as the company likes to invest in it's people. I'm one of the two Oracle DBE's (database engineers rather than administrators).

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello, helpdesk? I think my computer's broken.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Mine has been "Um, when I connect via the VPN I can't get to the internet. Disconnect the VPN and I can get anywhere I want. Connect via the VPN and I'm hosed"

That one comes and goes, it's quite annoying

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm part facilitator, part pm, part general IT. What my job boils down to is the front facing side of IT that goes out and talks to the users, buys and maintains the equipment and contracts, and anticipates the IT needs associated with major projects, legislative changes, policy changes, etc. The fact that people know to call me is, overall, a good thing. However, 9 times out of ten, when my phone rings, it goes like this:
    User: "my computer won't boot up."
    OC: "have you called the helpdesk?"
    U: "no..."
    OC: "call the helpdesk."
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Years ago, when I moved out of support into operations and management, for months afterwards I would still get calls from users asking me things that should have been routed through the help desk. What can you do .. they were my "groupies".
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Call me for help of any kind, folks. Just don't call me to do your work for you.

Example:
    If a PowerPoint file is trashed, I'll see if I can fix it. If you need a PowerPoint presentation finished in short order, no, I will not complete it for you.

Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    All the rants in the Rant thread made me glad I don't work in IT.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2015 HD Dyna Low
    2015 Ninja 300

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This morning I get an "urgent call" to help fill out the last bits of information on a certification. They're asking about... what type MOUSE is installed on the workstations? Detail by model number, for each work station. Model and serial number of the computers running the tasks?!?

We spent over a decade making sure that the software involved would run on a variety of systems, allowing greatest flexibility. Unfortunately, it seems that the certification requires us to NOT DO THAT - changing a mouse without documenting it in the certification paperwork breaks the certification!
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCo Gal View Post
    All the rants in the Rant thread made me glad I don't work in IT.
    It's not that much different than any other job. There is always some kind of crap that will drive you insane.
    I still make a runny one now and then, but the goo is good on ice cream.

-- Overcaffeinated