Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else name their bikes or am I crazy?

If I had a Prius, I sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone. I'd have to wear a mask while driving it, so no one would recognize me. The Prius has one of the largest carbon foot prints of any vehicle made. I think nuclear powered aircraft carriers may have a larger foot print, but not sure on that.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aw, Norty...you just need to try the Last & Delirious version...

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...

Needs moar low .. and a big-a$$ wing!

Although.. the "sow's ear" saying comes to mind.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    If I had a Prius, I sure as hell wouldn't tell anyone. I'd have to wear a mask while driving it, so no one would recognize me. The Prius has one of the largest carbon foot prints of any vehicle made. I think nuclear powered aircraft carriers may have a larger foot print, but not sure on that.
    At the time, it made sense to buy it. My husband had just bought a new '10; my PT was paid off, but the mileage sucked, it handled like crap in the winter, and had recently cost me $700 for a new ECM to fix a stupid turn signal problem. I liked Hubby's well enough, so I looked at used ones, got a great deal and fair trade on my PT, and here I am driving a car that's paid for (thanks to selling my Shadow) and getting 42mpg.

However, I REALLY miss having a convertible and a stick shift, and the car just isn't "me". And on the practical side, I'll be moving out of state to the country in the next few years (goal: September/October 2016) and we'll need to be able to haul stuff. We'll be losing our network of family and friends with trucks and trailers and our '63 Chevy C10 can't go five miles without breaking down. If nothing else, the NT will have to go 40 minutes away for servicing periodically (the local shop only works on Harleys and old stuff, but they'll change my tires; I can do my own oil and plug changes), and rather than make two round trips and inconvenience someone to take me back and forth, I want to be able to haul it there myself. And when the infrequent foot of snow gets dumped on us, we gotta be able to get around somehow 'til it melts cuz they don't plow the roads.

So other than the mpgs, I think I'll be a lot happier with the Jeep. As I had mentioned, I had a '74 CJ5, but that only last about six months. It wasn't civilized enough for me and it REALLY sucked gas. I sold it to a kid who lived about 45 minutes away, and I bet he couldn't get it home without stopping for gas. In contrast, the Unlimiteds meet the criteria for being civilized, utilitarian, cool, and fun. I test drove one and it didn't feel like a truck at all. So hopefully sometime next year we'll have some bills paid off and the right one that fits our needs and budget will come along so Norty will be willing to be seen with me again.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C, Kawasaki ZX25R!!!!!!!!!

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    The Prius has one of the largest carbon foot prints of any vehicle made. I think nuclear powered aircraft carriers may have a larger foot print, but not sure on that.
    I've heard that before, but not sure why it is said, so I poked around a little. Where are you getting your information? I found this to be interesting.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! mechdziner714's Avatar
    My parents have a cat named CB-1, they got him after me taking their CB-1 away. The bike however is still called CB-1.
    The whir of gear driven cams makes me giddy.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
    I've heard that before, but not sure why it is said, so I poked around a little. Where are you getting your information? I found this to be interesting.
    The part that concerns me with the Prius and similar cars is the environmental impact of mining the materials and disposal of the battery pack. You want that thing recycled big time.

Dave

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Cyclepilot's Avatar
    In reference to my bike's previous life in law enforcement, I've dubbed my RT-P:

"Coffee & Doughnuts"
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    "Everyone has a unique risk threshhold. Mine is high enough to permit me to ride, and low enough to insure that I gear up, train regularly, and read about equipment and technique often. These three things mitigate the risk of riding substantially. I will never judge you because you do not takes the same risks I do, and please understand that I would prefer that you do not judge me."
    -Alan
    97' BMW 1100RT-P
    05' Honda Shadow 750 Aero- gone after 9000 great miles!

Quote Originally Posted by mechdziner714 View Post
    My parents have a cat named CB-1, they got him after me taking their CB-1 away. The bike however is still called CB-1.
    ​...........

How green hybrids and electric cars are is still quite a debate - here's where we are in the industry right now: IEEE Link. When you come right down to it, moving a certain amount of mass a given distance at a given speed requires a fixed amount of energy. If I'm burning fossil fuel to do it, whether in a coal-fired power plant or right in the vehicle, I'm putting out similar amounts of greenhouse gases.

That's why it's best to reduce the energy needed by moving less mass - you know, by riding a motorcycle instead of hauling around that stupid cage!
    Chaz

"In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun." - Loudon Wainwright III

'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color!