Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBR250R front suspension mods

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

CBR250R front suspension mods

Was riding my son-in-laws CB250R yesterday (strictly off-road)
    and noticed the front suspension to be somewhat soft on spring rate and preload.
    & omg/ I only weigh 135 lbs at the moment and he has ~ 60 lbs. on me <- must get working on that.

?:I does anyone here have first hand riding experience on a CBR250R that has undergone 'any' suspension alterations ?
    ... even if it only had a change to the stock fork oil viscosity would be of interest thx.

RiderCoach 3000 Posts! Prof._HH's Avatar
    I don't have any 1st hand experience with the CBR. There are a few of them set up for road courses. You might try searching around the racing forums (WERA for one) or sport rider specific forums to see what people have done to them.

If it helps your searches, they'd be in the ESS class for WERA. They may be called ultra light or light weight in other orgs.
    My boss said to dress for the job I want, not the one I have.

Now, I'm waiting for my meeting with H.R. about my blue tights and cape.
    FML

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    I understand that there is a delete kit for the linked brakes available that unlinks them. This would be of very high interest to me.

Yes, Honda did not really invest in the suspension. The back end is bouncy and the front end is mushy. It is not balanced. 127# here, so I feel your riding issue. Even I compress the suspension quite a bit.

It's funny, I love the concept of this bike, but I keep coming up with things that I would change on it if it were a keeper.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

I already googled around to see what others have done, but to be honest I was more interested in the opinions of the folks here first.
    Besides I don't know those them, who would I trust

... I did see some aftermarket springs and they called for the addition of preload tubes,
    :/ that seems strange unless it was experimentation and heck, I can experiment much cheaper then that.
    Most go straight to thick oil and tbh I felt the dampening was not a problem, or if it is I couldn't tell yet.
    I'm :guessing: the racers possibly leave forks fairly stock, less they put themselves into a modified class???
    Also found aftermarket rear shocks but the front seemed to be the lazy end imho & should be cheaper to fix.

The bike settles the front suspension 'considerably' under its own weight and that is seldom a great thing.
    Almost certain it has top-out springs feels like some kind of anti-wheelie technology in play.

btw: you could really soup one of these things up if you slipped a Cota motor in there.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! mechdziner714's Avatar
    Sonic springs come with "pre-load tubes", usually a stick of PVC pipe. You could probably add some emulators for a bit more control in the front.
    The whir of gear driven cams makes me giddy.

I don't want to take it apart until the end of the season, he; might wanting to ride it & all but
    i don't have long to wait for them to start salting roads up here, & then I'll rip into it to do basic maintenance anyway.

...stock springs feel like they are very 3 stage with a minus compression effect on the top third:/
    middle third of the travel feels slightly too compliant and the lower third gets stiff quick.

I think we need more get stiff quick

Air forks! Just like 1984...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Air forks! Just like 1984...
    occurred to me post post, but I better buy him new caps to mod, just incase he doesn't like the look of it
    ? do you think they would need an equalizer tube, I'm thinking yes.

Looks like I 'may' get to test out the air cap theory sooner than I thought, my old Ascot Ft500 has the same size forks and a beautiful set of OEM air caps ... if the threads are the same I think I might just need to test that out tomorrow