Thread: Phillip Island controversy *spoiler alert*

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Phillip Island controversy *spoiler alert*

Blank lines to hide preview

Boy did Honda screw the pooch! Pedrosa gets docked a position for pit lane speed violation, and Marquez black flagged for running an extra lap on the crappy Bridgestones. Was it a rookie mistake? Or Did his pit board screw up? Now Jorge is -18pts going into Motegi.
    Last edited by asp125; 10-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! mechdziner714's Avatar
    I think Honda tried to pull a fast one and got bit. That or Marquez just screwed up and the team is taking the heat.
    The whir of gear driven cams makes me giddy.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To be fair, in most race organizations, even in our local amateur one, if there ever is a major change in race program (especially safety related) all the riders are called to a meeting and briefed on the change. As Colin Edwards tweeted, DORNA sent the change via a piece of paper. What a farce.

Colin Edwards ‏@texastornado5 20 Oct
    @davidbayliss10 @marcmarquez93 Nope, race direction never put us all in a room �� A piece of paper was passed around with race rules ��
    IMO Marquez could have been docked on position or called in for a stop and go, rather than DQ'd. I think getting 0 points was a bit drastic.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Marquez's team has also taken responsibility for the incorrect lap count. Apparently, they did not count "One" until the end of lap one. That meant that they did not count "Ten" until Marc crossed the line at the end of his tenth full lap. Race direction had specified "no more than ten laps" on any single rear tire and this meant that by the time someone in the pit realized that Marc had completed ten laps, it was too late to call him in.

This definitely meets the criteria for "MotoGP circus" and make it up as you go rule plan.

From what I've been able to read the problem wasn't really with the Bridgestone tires but rather the newly resurfaced track with a rough finish which hadn't had any testing or other use of the track prior to this past weekend's event to break it in and smooth it out.
    Suzie
    '13 KLX 110L - "Kermit"
    '04 NSR 50
    GWA Member

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Both the surface texture and the asphalt compound used were creating too much grip (when do you EVER hear of that?) which resulted in too much tire heat. More grip means more stress on the tire's carcass and more flexing. This creates more heat in the tire's structure which can result in blistering and/or delamination. They were looking at tire core temperatures in the 400f range. Even the hardest tread compound that Bridgestone had on hand offered too much grip.

It was good for the CRTs though. From what Colin said CRTs might have been able to make the 19 laps on one tire.

This sort of reminds me of the fiasco in F1 at Indianapolis back in 2005 where all the teams running Michelin tires pulled out because only Bridgestones survived more than 10 laps. That was a major mess, because all of the Michelin teams stuck together and withdrew in protest when the FIA refused to put in a chicane before turn 13 to slow the cars down and save the tires.