Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Victory? Why?

Why Victory? Why?

I just got an e-mail from Victory Motorcycles announcing the "improvements" to the new 2014 Victory Judge.

The 2013 Victory Judge was sort of "Cafe Racer Inspired" with mid-controls, reasonably straight bars and a 'number plate' styling element. Not really anything like a cafe racer, but not a "laid back cruiser" like everything else in their non-touring line-up.

2013-Victory-Judge-Action-Right-4788.JPG

What are these improvements, you ask? From Victory:

The 2014 Judge features revised ergonomics that put a rider in a more relaxed, traditional cruiser riding position while retaining its muscle car-inspired attitude. The handlebars pull back 3.75”, giving the rider an easy, relaxed reach to the upper controls. The lower controls have been repositioned 4” forward, allowing a rider to stretch out more for greater comfort. The Victory Judge also features newly restyled side covers and a versatile two-piece seat with removable passenger seat.
    2014-Victory-Judge-wallpaper-1.jpg

Just another "cruiser" now and my back hurts just looking at the guy riding it. Sad for me, as it was the only bike Victory made that really struck a chord with me.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Val's Avatar
    This is a bummer. I had a lot of fun on this bike at demo days last year. They already have bikes with "traditional cruiser position" but I heard more than on eggy at the demo day say "if they put forward controls on it I would like it better" they may be responding to customer response.
    aka: Muffin

08 Kawasaki Concours
    09 Suzuki c50 - Gone after 15,000 great miles.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL at what marketing thinks a cafe racer is. Nothing like the original cafe racers of the 50s & 60s - clip on bars, rearsets, bum-stop seat like the Thruxton.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    LOL at what marketing thinks a cafe racer is. Nothing like the original cafe racers of the 50s & 60s - clip on bars, rearsets, bum-stop seat like the Thruxton.
    So true, but they can't possibly state the truth, that it was just a motorcycle where your feet are under you and you sit up almost straight!

Contributor 2000 Posts! Diane_N's Avatar
    Between the Catskill and Adirondack Mountains, NY
    Drat. The mid controls was the one thing I liked about the Judge. Oh, well, just another cruiser I won't be considering.(If I ever consider a cruiser)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/bikinbiddy/dsc01293-1.jpg

I don't want to feel like I'm reaching for the controls, but I don't want my knees bent much either. It's a fine line. The guy in the pictures above looks just right.

In the end though, the final positioning is so dependent on the rider's leg length that there's no way to tell without sitting on it in person.

Anyway, I still won't consider Victory until they lose those hideous cylindrical instruments. Make a real dash to enclose them, or put them away somewhere.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Y'know, Harley already tried it with the VRod Street Rod - mid controls, drag bar, higher ground clearance. Needless to say the cruiser crowd spurned it and the sportbike crowd ignored it.

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Ding! Ding!

Why? "What's our demographic?" - Victory

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Y'know, Harley already tried it with the VRod Street Rod - mid controls, drag bar, higher ground clearance. Needless to say the cruiser crowd spurned it and the sportbike crowd ignored it.
    I simply didn't care for their sole choice in colors: yellow on an anodized silver frame. It even looks terrible to someone who's color blind (which I am, in one eye ).

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Ding! Ding!

Why? "What's our demographic?" - Victory

Tom
    Well, if you already make 5 models aimed at that demographic, if you make ONE model outside that demographic, MAYBE you will pick up some sales that aren't just HD owners who are disillusiond for some reason. (I left out the "Bagger" and "tourer" models from the "number of models" above, including only the "cruisers".