Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Passed the BRC

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
    2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I can't answer for Vasenior, but for me the surprise was that the swerve was so easy and the "box" was so hard. My lightbulb moment was when I found out that "eyes up!" was not just something for the coach to yell but really sound advice. After learning that I wanted to play on the offset cone weave all day.

Dan

Dan, you are spot-on. The swerve was very easy and the box was...well, you know. I think the biggest take away from the BRC was the mindset of safety and using SEE skills to avoid trouble. The course gave me some good mechanical skills to work on developng into good habits but it was the mindset of turning fear and adrenalin into caution and care that was most important, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by vasenior View Post
    Just bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 last night.
    Good choice! That was my "return to riding" bike.

Now, go out, remove the seat and make sure the battery terminals (both the sideways bolt and top bolt) are tight...but not too tight. Hold the brass connector with a wrench or pliers whenever you try to tighten or loosen the top bolt, that way you won't break the lead terminal off of the battery. I found this out the hard way.

And if you can't find ethanol free gas, be sure to put some Seafoam or equivalent in the tank any time the bike may sit for more than a week or so. You and your carbs will thank me later.

Good luck with it.

BTW what color are the 2003s? I hear the blue 2005s are the quickest!

Quote Originally Posted by KACinPA View Post
    Good choice! That was my "return to riding" bike.

Now, go out, remove the seat and make sure the battery terminals (both the sideways bolt and top bolt) are tight...but not too tight. Hold the brass connector with a wrench or pliers whenever you try to tighten or loosen the top bolt, that way you won't break the lead terminal off of the battery. I found this out the hard way.
    And if you can't find ethanol free gas, be sure to put some Seafoam or equivalent in the tank any time the bike may sit for more than a week or so. You and your carbs will thank me later.

Good luck with it.

BTW what color are the 2003s? I hear the blue 2005s are the quickest!
    Thanks for the advice. I did check the battery during my pre-purchase inspection because I heard this model can have a battery connection issue.

As far as the Seafoam goes, what is the issue there? Do you think a week of sitting will cause the carbs to clog? I'm BRAND new to bikes so any info will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by vasenior View Post
    As far as the Seafoam goes, what is the issue there? Do you think a week of sitting will cause the carbs to clog? I'm BRAND new to bikes so any info will be appreciated.
    A week likely not. But given life, weather etc sometimes a week ends up a few weeks, or you only ride a few miles at a time and the gas gets old. The ethanol is not a friend to the carbs and, IMO, the Seafoam is cheap insurance. The guy I bought the Vulcan from had the carbs removed and cleaned up 3 times in the two years he owned the bike, as he never put any additives in the gas. In the 4 years I have had it all I have done to the carbs was have the sync checked and adjusted at the 15K mile service.