Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! ZaGhost's Avatar
    Great vids......
    maybe see a dual sport purchase next year hehehe
    1999 SV650 (US import)
    1983 Yamaha Maxim 400
    My Maxim rebuild page

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    So it's now June and I've just realized I've not been on any road trips this year This off road stuff has completely taken over my riding and every weekend is spent in the woods these days. Good news is that in the past few outings I've felt myself take a big step forward. Still a LONG way to go but I'm not constantly terrified now and the riding just keeps getting more fun

Got another off road event lined up to attend, The Dirty Face, which is June 15th. 200 or so bikes in the woods and hills of eastern WA with roll chart strongly recommended. Been scouring YouTube for videos from past events to get an idea what I'm letting myself in for but it doesn't look too bad. I was planning on riding over there (it is Dual Sport after all) but my friends convinced me to trailer over. After one weekend where one bike wouldn't start, one lost all front brake fluid (after rider went over the handlebars and bumped the brake), and one flat tire (me! on the flattest most boring part of the trail), I can see the advantages of having transportation home. You just need to get your bike out of the woods and you can get it home. Sigh,,,,would have been a nice ride over....hey, maybe they can haul my bike and I can ride the Versys over! Will have to see how well the idea flys
    Aaaaand...your report of this event is...where?
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Quote Originally Posted by NoCo Gal View Post
    Aaaaand...your report of this event is...where?

So we hauled the bikes over the mountains and setup camp around 4pm. Had a quick bite to eat and then headed out for an evening ride. This was supposed to be just a little teaser ride so I didn't take any cameras but it turned out to be the highlight of the weekend. My first real single track, in sand, with cliffs
    First little section was a lot of whoops (is that what they are called?) where the 3 advanced riders were flying over them while me and the other novice were riding over them. Was getting pretty seasick by the time they finished. Then the trail started climbing up and the drop offs were getting, err, worrying. But it was all good fun and a great learning experience. Never has look where you want to go meant so much to me! Well, not till later in the ride.....

Eventually leave the single track and come upon a forest road and we head up that as we think it climbs Sugarloaf Mtn and that is a great viewpoint. Turns out we missed a turn off along the way so we never got to the top but we got high enough to get some spectacular views. Oh, and this time real cliffs. Where you would die if you went off the edge. And there are boulders on the inside of the road. So you have to ride along the outside...next to the cliff. Heart was definitely pumping faster at those points.

One of the advanced guys got a front flat and this was one of several events that took the shine off the weekend for me. As usual, I was the only one with tools, spare tube and a pump. So using all my gear we get him up and running again. We get back to camp and he gives me $20 for the tube. No big deal. Well, next morning I find out he has a spare tube in his truck. I'm about to give him his $20 back and say I'll take the tube when he says he wants to take the tube with him as he is concerned about his tire (it has a gash in it). I was too stunned to say anything and stupidly let him get away with it. I was not going to be riding with the advanced guys today so if I got a flat his $20 wasn't going to be much use. This would annoy me for the rest of the weekend and beyond but thankfully I never got a flat.

Onto the actual event. The organizers had recommended a roll chart holder but a friend who had done this before said it wasn't needed. The course was well marked and there are crowds of people you can follow, so none of us bothered. Big mistake! I wrap the roll charts around my handlebars as a reference and decide to use the trip meter in my GPS to measure my distance (using bike trip meter to estimate gas usage). Second mistake! I'm heading down the road and for some reason I have yet to figure out the trip odometer on the GPS never moves, so I've instantly lost track of my progress on through the instructions. No big deal, plenty of folks to follow. We head off into the woods and there are plenty of folks around. Beautiful moment here with the early morning sun filtering through the trees lighting up the dust kicked up by all the bikes. Also made it nearly impossible to see! Eventually the faster guys passed me and I settled into a routine following a couple of others. That went well till they pulled over as they had lost the trail Much circling around and we eventually found it but we managed to lose them in the process. So we continue on and a little bit later we lose the trail again. This time (we find out later) it was because a truck and horse trailer had blocked the next exit and the markings. This was on purpose as apparently a horse had got startled by the earlier bikes and a child may have got injured (not sure about that). While I understand the frustrations and maybe anger of the locals, I assume this was a public roadway they were blocking. We had spent considerable time and money attending this event and many many folks ended up completely lost because of this.

After circling around for some time I had had enough and decided to give up the course and just go riding. Would attempt (and fail once more) to reach Sugarloaf Mtn. But by pure luck, in my attempts to reach Sugarloaf we stumbled once more back on the course! Good job we did as the next little section was more sandy single track and was a lot of fun. Of course we lost it again soon after and fell in with some other lost souls. They led us the wrong way (though it was still fun) but after a bit we decided to head back to civilization as my friend has the stock 1.9 gallon tank on her KLX and we couldn't risk any more wanderings.

So, all in all a challenging weekend. The riding was fun but the riding around completely lost the whole time was not. The heat was intense (89' is intense for me) but it was 39' in the mornings. But now that a week has passed, I'm actually planning to go back next year with a roll chart holder and master the navigation part. The riding was fun if only I could have had more of it.

And now for some pics...

Campsite. 2xKLX, KDX, KTM and a WR450

fixing the flat

View from mtn top

some trails

The road my GPS said would lead to Sugarloaf

Early morning ride in the woods

The video....
    Last edited by alba; 06-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Outstanding video!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Some NorthWest Trails

Went to a nearby ORV park yesterday to hit some trails. I've not done a whole lot of single track but this was by far the hardest yet. Lots of roots, rocks, tight turns and trenches to throw me off the bike. I guess you learn by doing so I need to do a whole lot more of this as I've not been riding as much as I would like. It's also now painfully obvious that I need to start getting some exercise off of the bike as this single track stuff (when you're not doing it right) kicks your butt.
    I'll get right on that....tomorrow

Day got off to a bad start with two flats, but they were soon fixed and we were on our way.

Then it was time for the fun to begin (single track begins at 4:21)

Nice! I got a little sick watching the camera swing wildly back and forth. But I really liked how green everything is there.
    ~Teri
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

Lessons in dirt for me - no pictures other than at the beginning of the ride (gravel) and at a resting spot (after the gravel, pavement with sand, and some gnarly loose shale). Little did we know things were going to get worse!

Enjoy the scenery.

I was going to try to walk down to get pics of the rocky and rutted terrain, but it was farther than I wanted to walk in my riding boots.

~Teri
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

View of Lake Henshaw

Good surface

Really nice vista
    ~Teri
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

Nice pictures and I love seeing the different terrain. Last week I went to a small presentation with Gary LaPlante (who is an expert rider and teaches down in southern CA) and he was saying he has to take the time to learn how the soil will respond to you when you ride somewhere different. It was much different up here for him and he had to adjust to the wet soil up here. He said he is an expert in sand but when he went to Moab it bit him as it was a different type of sand than he was used to.

I read your comments about not wanting to bounce off rocks This dirt stuff has been humbling for me as it's been a slow learning curve as I have to battle my fears about loss of control. It's also been an incredibly fun journey. While I have fallen off countless times I have not (touch wood) hurt myself yet. I did invest in proper gear though as I knew falling off was going to be a regular occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Last week I went to a small presentation with Gary LaPlante (who is an expert rider and teaches down in southern CA) and he was saying he has to take the time to learn how the soil will respond to you when you ride somewhere different. It was much different up here for him and he had to adjust to the wet soil up here. He said he is an expert in sand but when he went to Moab it bit him as it was a different type of sand than he was used to.
    Norty and I took his class (motoventures.com); it was my first official offroad experience. The dirt was a perfect texture thanks to some soggy cool weather, we had great traction and the sand pit we went through a couple times was deep but wasn't horrible. I knew it wouldn't be like that in the real world. I don't mind offroad riding, just am getting too old to think I can do what the younger kids do.
    ~Teri
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800