Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lessons in dirt continue

Lessons in dirt continue

So I've been continuing to push my comfort zone off road slowly but surely. Been finding new places to ride and new people to ride with (though since I bought my KLX 4 months ago 5 of my regular riding buddies have bought off road bikes ) Last Saturday we went back to our regular haunt but one of my experience friends had just got his bike so was reliving his youth off road and was having a lot of fun. He also managed to find us some pretty steep hills to go and and fall down

Tomorrow I'm off to eastern WA to take part in the fun events that surround a serious race. No idea what to expect from a 100 mile dual sport ride. I'm still trying to learn what "single track" means to people. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's pretty scary (to me). But I'm sure it's going to be fun
    http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... twizted1's Avatar
    Carry the front through those mud holes!
    Rain or Shine 8 - May 20-22, 2016 - Monterey, TN

No matter what goes to hell, always rise from the ashes, stronger.

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    Very cool! The single track through the trees made me miss my mountain biking days. Never done that on a motorcycle, guess someday if I get a true dirt bike I'll have to try it.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Moderator/RiderCoach We've stopped counting... Missy B's Avatar
    Looks like fun! Different terrain there than here in some places. You have those things that grow straight up and down that we don't have here.
    Thanks for sharing!
    CURRENT BIKES: 2014 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2016 Honda CBR500R
    PREVIOUS BIKES: 2002 Ninja 500, 2002 Kawi ZR-7S, 2002 Kawi Concours, 2003 Yamaha XT225, 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Suzuki Wee Strom, 2004 Honda CRF250R, Yamaha TTR250
    Test riding bikes since 2004.
    If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to RIDE that thing will do!

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Thumbs up

Excellent video
    more please

...really wanting to go straight up some of those stumps

Enjoyed the video. Planning on creating something similar with my Tiger and the local wooded area. We both have some of the same ideas for clips.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    This one has a pretty intense sound track
    I kept expecting somebody to take an arrow through the neck or something

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    This one has a pretty intense sound track
    I kept expecting somebody to take an arrow through the neck or something
    Weel, the song is called "Shoot To Kill"

Had a blast riding in sand for the first time. Not deep deep sand but enough to make things interesting. Add in some steep up/down hills and a full day of riding off road and I was beat. Happy that by the end of the day I was excited to go over obstacles that were frightening at the beginning. Also glad I managed to keep my feet on the pegs and ride over things that were a bit scary. It's been too easy for me to go slow and put my feet down. Still got LOTS to learn but continue to keep getting better but maybe more importantly, the smile keeps getting bigger

Video from last weekend. The morning consisted of a big bike friendly route whereas the afternoon was more for small bikes. A couple of the big guys tried it but suffered a few bent bits and bobs. Was bummed the battery on the GoPro died before the afternoon fun

One good thing that has come out of it is I'm now friends with someone whose brother took place in the actual race (and came 28th out of 1000+). I've been invited over to his place this Sunday to practice on his private track with obstacles

So it's now June and I've just realized I've not been on any road trips this year This off road stuff has completely taken over my riding and every weekend is spent in the woods these days. Good news is that in the past few outings I've felt myself take a big step forward. Still a LONG way to go but I'm not constantly terrified now and the riding just keeps getting more fun

Got another off road event lined up to attend, The Dirty Face, which is June 15th. 200 or so bikes in the woods and hills of eastern WA with roll chart strongly recommended. Been scouring YouTube for videos from past events to get an idea what I'm letting myself in for but it doesn't look too bad. I was planning on riding over there (it is Dual Sport after all) but my friends convinced me to trailer over. After one weekend where one bike wouldn't start, one lost all front brake fluid (after rider went over the handlebars and bumped the brake), and one flat tire (me! on the flattest most boring part of the trail), I can see the advantages of having transportation home. You just need to get your bike out of the woods and you can get it home. Sigh,,,,would have been a nice ride over....hey, maybe they can haul my bike and I can ride the Versys over! Will have to see how well the idea flys

Video from a couple of weekends ago: