Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moronic drivers and handling road rage on the bike...

The key for me is to realize that if the car was able to put me in that situation in the first place, I screwed up somewhere. I had a car attempt to merge into me for the first time in a really long time the other morning because I was a little zoned out on my way to work. I didn't get mad at him, I got mad at me for riding in his blind spot long enough and not paying attention to what was in front of *him* to decide if he was going to try to come over.

I noticed that you listed your hi-viz stuff and your headlight--did you think those were responsible for making other vehicles see you in traffic? Do you still think that?
    Sportbikes are NOT BEGINNER BIKES

Current Bikes: 2009 Yamaha FJR1300A | 2009 Kawasaki Versys | 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    Past Bikes: 2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (sold) | 1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R (sold) | 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (sold) | 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (sold)

Hittin' The Twisties
    I just recite Matthew 5:22 to myself and try to laugh it off.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Paduan's Avatar
    I like to remember how much fun I'm having while riding my bike.

And how miserable "they" must be, trapped in their cages and anger/stupidity.

Probably a fantasy, but it works for me.....
    The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets.

2005 Goldwing GL1800 - Arctic Camo

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! tlwmsu's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies!

- It didn't ruin the rest of my entire ride, but did tick me off for a couple of minutes
    - I did remove myself from the situation (avoided contact, then went to right lane and got ahead of the group of traffic.)
    - It did surprise me, because they came from the right lane, crossed over middle lane (minus any turn signal) and came directly into far left lane that I was traveling in. I do realize people make mistakes, do stupid things behind the wheel (can't throw stones too much here if we consider my complete driving history back to age 16), but this was a doozy to me. I generally don't get "zoned out" on the bike. There have been times I have caught myself going there. This wasn't one of them. There was enough time for me to release the throttle, clutch and brake, while slightly avoiding to the left; I . No time to honk the horn as it was happening. It wasn't a panic brake to the point of blue smoke from the tires, but it was more of an avoid/brake than I like going interstate speeds.
    - I do accept the general risk involved in riding a motorcycle. And riding it on the interstate during commute times. I have a hard time accepting that drivers texting or otherwise being inattentive should be part of what we, as riders should just take as the norm. Not sure that there is much we can do about it I suppose.
    - I like the comments about wasted energy. I will try to keep that in mind next time. To me, it wasn't a complete waste to honk my horn. She never would have known I was even there otherwise...maybe she will also be more attentive in the future? Maybe not, but honking was the first reaction I had after avoiding contact.
    - I've never been known to tailgate, brake check or otherwise harass anyone, while driving a car/truck if road rage has come my way. Mostly grumblings and speeding away. I certainly would never do it on a bike, and have read this forum enough to know the best bet is to get away from said driver and certainly not attempt to escalate any situation.
    - I don't think the vest and headlight are my only ways of being visible in traffic. I do my best to keep proper lane position and avoid running along side others.

Thanks again guys & gals.
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    2007 Kawi Vulcan 900 Custom ** SOLD **

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
    - John Wayne

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Former chief editor of Motorcycle Cruiser (Jamie Elvidge) penned an editorial or two that endorsed motorcycle road rage. Suffice it to say, don't read any of her work if you want to avoid that stuff.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    They're far more valuable than you realize...

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    My way of looking at things .. riding in traffic is a study of Being Present, Enjoying the Moment, and Letting Things Go.

I'm a high vis guy (duh). All my jackets now are the high vis yellow. Not a vest but the entire jacket. My current helmet is yellow (not high vis). My bikes are plastered with reflective tape and decals. I try to use my lane position to enable me to SEE and be SEEN. That being said, I do expect the rest of the world to not see me.

As I said earlier, I'll use the horn for communication but I try to use it DURING the event, not after. Once the event is done, it's in the past and can't be changed so I try not to waste energy on that. Now, that's not to say I don't occasionally do a Beep Beep to sort of say "hey, I was here, please pay attention" but I know that adds something to the event that isn't needed. In these cases I do try to make it a simple Beep Beep (ie friendly) rather than a BEEEEEPPP or even a BEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEP where I'm trying to honk with emphasis. My hope is that the beep beep is just a friendly "hey I was here okay?" message rather than a 'Hey you stupid F--k, I'm riding here watch what the hell you're doing" kind of message. The risk is, even my "friendly" beep beep can be interpreted by the other motorist differently than I intended and it can escalate a situation. I'm working to basically reduce using any signals after an event has passed, to just let things be and move on.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

Rider since June '03 ... Bikes: '11 Triumph Tiger 800XC ... '09 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided
    * Electrons have Mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    My favourite road rage episode ended with us (3 bikers) riding away and the cager locked out of his car, while it was stopped at a busy intersection with the engine still running

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Just to be fair, I have seen my fair share of STUPID passing by motorcycle riders. And fortunately for them the cagers had their heads in the game, and gave them room needed to avoid a head on collision.

Now that I mention it, I've seen plenty of rant worthy mc riding, and completely understand why cagers think we are a bunch of pricks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Quote Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
    Just to be fair, I have seen my fair share of STUPID passing by motorcycle riders. And fortunately for them the cagers had their heads in the game, and gave them room needed to avoid a head on collision.

Now that I mention it, I've seen plenty of rant worthy mc riding, and completely understand why cagers think we are a bunch of pricks.
    ​...............

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mudarra View Post

This. I saw a bike this morning trying to pass a few vehicles on the right (outside the fog line) to cut ahead to a right only turn lane, just as an SUV was moving over into the turn lane at the appropriate place where the turn lane physically begins. The guy on the bike somehow managed to not drop it. To make the rider look even more douchey(sp?), he made great effort to show his feelings towards the SUV driver. I mentioned to my coworker in the car that if they had crashed into one another, I would have gladly hung out waiting for the MPs to arrive to explain that the rider was at fault, not the SUV.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R

Previous Bikes
    '09 Royal Star Venture (Gone after 7500 great miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (Gone after 10,000 great miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (Gone after 6500 great miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (Gone after 65,000 great miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (Gone after 12,000 great miles)

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Holy Crap! I'm a Conservative!!!!
    God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal.