Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Street Triple R or F800R? Or another bike..?

Flirting With The Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflo View Post
    Torque is not the same at the wheel in all gears. The horsepower at any given RPM will be the same, but you can trade speed for torque, and vice versa. The overall power output is the same. Being able to swap speed for torque is the entire reason for gearing.

And Shaddix - don't try to lecture people on topics when, several pages previously, you were unable to differentiate between burro(w)s*.

* Profanity expressed as riddle is art.
    Well then don't just ignore it when people are telling me I'm wrong when you know I am right(and not just telling me, insulting my intelligence over it). I exercised a lot more restraint than I wanted to. I didn't come on saying oh god you guys are idiots because I knew I didn't fully understood the concept. I knew I didn't have it all figured out and was simply trying to understand.

And yeah, 40 horses is right, because it isn't 40lb of torque, it's more like 400lbs of torque in first gear.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

And yeah, 40 horses is right, because it isn't 40lb of torque, it's more like 400lbs of torque in first gear.
    OK, let me get this straight. You're saying that your bike produces about the same torque as a Ford F350 (gas)?

I would pay to see a DR650 towing a loaded cattle trailer.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    The amount of restraint and patience displayed by the fine folks at BBO is worthy of international recognition.
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shonuff View Post
    OK, let me get this straight. You're saying that your bike produces about the same torque as a Ford F350 (gas)?
    Can't tell if serious...

Rear wheel torque is a grossly divergent number from "dyno" torque. If you actually do the math and figure out how much torque is being sent to the rear wheel on a DR650, you'll likely find that his 400 number isn't as far off as one may think. In first gear, at least.

Dyno torque is corrected for transmission gearing, final-drive gearing, and drive wheel diameter size to produce a number to compare different engines, or the same engine with different tuning setups. It won't tell you jack shit about how quickly a vehicle accelerates until gearing (the vectors to act on the ground) enters the equation.

Don't laugh unless you're ready for the math...
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Can't tell if serious...

Rear wheel torque is a grossly divergent number from "dyno" torque. If you actually do the math and figure out how much torque is being sent to the rear wheel on a DR650, you'll likely find that his 400 number isn't as far off as one may think. In first gear, at least.

Dyno torque is corrected for transmission gearing, final-drive gearing, and drive wheel diameter size to produce a number to compare different engines, or the same engine with different tuning setups. It won't tell you jack shit about how quickly a vehicle accelerates until gearing (the vectors to act on the ground) enters the equation.

Don't laugh unless you're ready for the math...
    I still want to see some roided out gym rat play tug of war with the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ds5160 View Post
    I still want to see some roided out gym rat play tug of war with the bike.
    The issue is focusing on theory rather than application. Get the roid rat to simply lift the rear wheel off the ground. Boom. Torque numbers and ponies negated.
    Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://motorcycleslifeandeverything.wordpress.com

www.howzitdonecrash.com

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    So you're telling me that where the rubber meets the pavement on my DR650, there is only ~40lbs of force being produced?
    Shaddix - Bless your heart.

40 lbs of force is WEIGHT!

Torque is measured in ft-lbs.

And yes That DR whatever probably doesn't have more than 40ft-lbs of torque.

When that brain of yours finally figures out that torque is a rotational force, you may begin understand what the FOOT part of the unit means.

(how's that for restraint, I didn't use a single curse word. )

As far as how much actual force (a weight, NOT TORQUE) is being applied at the point where the rubber meets the pavement you would have to learn math. And even God doesn't have enough patience to teach it to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflo View Post

* Profanity expressed as riddle is art.
    If it's a riddle, how come it wasn't a conundrum?

Oh wait, we already tried something like that earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 03-05-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

I think I can sum up this entire thread:

"I want one of these two mid-size bikes."
    "Great idea! Both are good bikes."
    "Now I found a liter bike, but before you tell me I'll hit a bump and die, I will say SCIENCE!"

"BETTER SCIENCE!"

"Are you saying my science is wrong? SCIENCE-ISH!"

"SCIENCE!"

"SCIENCE!"

"SCIENCE!"

<Next week>
    "So, I bought the 1K Ninja, because I asked your advice, but went ahead and based my decision on my calculations, which, though likely wrong, confirm what I wanted to hear."
    Last edited by Lezbert; 03-05-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.