Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall, but *not* in the legs... all torso! (6'2" with 32" inseam)

Question Tall, but *not* in the legs... all torso! (6'2" with 32" inseam)

Yep, another n00b here trying to sort through options on starter bikes. I've looked through the various sticky threads, and while several "tall bikers" suggestions have been made - I don't see one that focuses on those of us with very long upper-body / torso's.

• 194 lbs
    • 6'2"
    • 32" inseam
    • 36" sleeve (long arms)
    • Texan with freeways / tollways that now go up to 85mph.

I'm not overly concerned about appearances - and really want to try to find something comfortable and fun to ride. Would love to hear suggestions. Right now the KLR 650 looks really tempting. Thanks for the tons of advice already posted, it certainly has gotten me to consider the dual sports instead of cruisers only!

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have a 32" inseam and I have to slide off the KLR seat to flatfoot on one side. Owners would have to chime in for sustained 85mph capabilities.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    Others can correct me, but typically the problem tall people have is the large inseam ... 34", 36" or more. That larger inseam and leg length tends to make many bikes very cramped to sit on and ride for any period of time. Having a smaller inseam opens you up to more bikes, you'll just start having more of an upright riding posture. Whereas me, short, short inseam, short arms, would be quite forward on a sport ergo bike, you'll be more upright.

SO help us out here, what style of bike appeals to you? Sport? Standard? Cruiser? Dual Purpose?
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post

SO help us out here, what style of bike appeals to you? Sport? Standard? Cruiser? Dual Purpose?
    My general preference based on looks and feel thusfar: Mostly cruisers - Honda Shadow, Kawasaki Vulcan would be the top two - generally prefer the chopped / custom look compared to the classic / swooshy

I'm seriously considering dual purpose to start off for the lighter weight and just plain "fun" factor of being able to offroad once in awhile.

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    Newer* Japanese cruisers might be a pretty decent fit for you. I have a 31" inseam but am only 5'7" tall, and I found that, while the peg position was a pretty good fit for me, the "reach" to the bars was too much for me to ever get comfortable on one of the 750cc+ late-model Japanese cruisers - even with pullback/riser bars installed. All of the sub-750cc cruisers may still be a bit cramped for total comfort, but if you're looking for something not too powerful, and inexpensive, to start with, you might consider checking out the Yamaha V-Star 650 along with the Hondas and Kawis.

I got nothing bad to say about dual purpose bikes of any ilk, and they seem to be the most versatile, ergo-wise (unless you have an inseam <31"), of any of the classes of bikes.

*By newer I mean year 2000-ish and later models.

Gotta admit, I may have to check this one out - seems like it's not out of whack with NADA guides, etc.
    http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2...stom-105882668

Blog Entries
    If you like the chopper-esque styling look up the 600 Shadow VLX. There were two vintages of it, the 88-98 bikes had a taller seat at 27.2" and the 99-07 models dropped lower to 25.6". The 88-98 fits my 32" inseam perfectly, and the extra carburetor gives it a little more oomph over the newer ones. I recommend a 94-98 deluxe model if chrome is on the menu.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

A 32" inseam is pretty darn standard, you should be able to ride just about anything. I'd avoid the incredibly tall dual-sports like the Yamaha WR250R (38" unladen seat height), but anything else you should be good.

The KLR should be reasonable for you.
    Sportbikes are NOT BEGINNER BIKES

Current Bikes: 2009 Yamaha FJR1300A | 2009 Kawasaki Versys | 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600
    Past Bikes: 2005 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (sold) | 1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R (sold) | 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 (sold) | 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (sold)

Thanks for the thoughts guys - with a cruiser and being long torso - am I likely to need the tallest windshield I can find? Seems like the little stubby 13 inch-jobs are just going to end up funneling a whole lot of wind into my face.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    am I likely to need the tallest windshield I can find?
    Once you have your bike take it over to a FLIBS. A lot of them have a "sales model" windshield you can carry out to your bike. Basically the sales model is the largest size available with lines etched into it for each size that is made. Slap it over your headlight and see which line is the one you're looking directly over, and that's the size you order.

Granted some folks prefer to look through the shield rather than over, but the downside to that is when you get caught in the rain it becomes a second visibility obstacle (the first being your face shield or eye protection...or if you have neither of those squinting against the rain drops that feel like BBs hitting you in the face)
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer