Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Ready to purchase 2nd bike! Verseys, F650, VStrom, or Tiger? Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by phendric View Post
    Sounds like you had a fun time! But have you narrowed your search any further?
    Nope! But I'm having a helluva good time riding and learning about all these bikes!
    S-bug

"How come you don't care where you're going?"
    "Because how you get there is the worthier part."
    - Firefly/Joss Whedon

Howdy all! Just started a new thread about the Triumph Tiger 800 vs. 800 XC. Would love your thoughts. Thanks!

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...-800-vs-800-XC
    S-bug

- Firefly/Joss Whedon

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I replied to your thread.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    I've been reading this thread with avid interest! I too am considering a change - desiring a bit more HP and realizing that we're more dirt/gravel vs rocky jeep trail kind of riders. So I like your short (growing) list - and will check the Tiger thread as that one is theoretically on my list too.

However whatever we get has to have skid-plates 'cause even too many named roads around us have the occasional bedrock sticking through.

About those Beemers... the new herd should be coming in sometime, and they have gone back to a single turn signal style... along with a bunch of other changes, like a F700GS to replace the confusing array of F650,G650 etc

I had a chance to butt-test a Versys and it was too tall in its current state. The dealer was offering to put in a lowering plate (takes it down 2-inches) so I could test ride it which this willingness to be helpful is a huge thumbs up. Plus, the 2012 model is about $7500, which is much less than the Beemers I've been drooling over.

It would be great to all test out a 650 V-strom. Unfortunately the nearest Suzuki dealer near me has ignored me too many times for me to ever go there again. There are some dealers north of me that might be friendlier.

Enjoying vicariously your search!
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

Hey Terra! Thanks for the note. Glad I'm not alone in my search (of course I'm not alone, aren't we all searching for that *perfect* bike??). I completely forgot about the "new" 700GS coming out -- I remember the red being rathah eye-catching. And the turn signals in the "normal" position?!?? Must take a look, I'll keep my eyes on the BMW dealerships here in town!
    S-bug

- Firefly/Joss Whedon

Update from Sbug!

October proved to be a fun-filled month of test-riding bikes. I went to a couple dealerships and tested the Triumph Tiger 800XC and, a couple days later, the Tiger 800 for comparison (started another thread on that, see above). Loved loved LOVED the 800XC. But, wanted to test the BMW 800GS again since that is the bike it is most compared to in all the mags and articles and what not. Couldn't find a dealership that had the 700GS in stock to demo, but I think I have moved past that bike. Although that red sure is purty...

Also wanted to check out the new Vstroms, but again, couldn't find a dealership close by that had any to demo. Didn't get up to Wisconsin though, so obviously I didn't try too hard. :P

At the BMW 'ship I tried an F800R on the advice of a friend. Sportier, get-you-around-town kind of bike. Pretty comfy as far as ergonomics, and the engine was pretty responsive. The salesman warned that above 55-65mph it would get buzzy/vibrate-y, so "be warned when you get it on the highway". Well, I felt vibrations at 45mph and said, nope, not for me. I want to be able to TRAVEL with the bike, and will be on the superslab probably more than I want to. No vibrations please. The Tiger 800XC was so smooth on the highway (well, in ALL gears/speeds!) that I kept going back to that bike in my head. Also, the F800R is just too sporty. I really do not want a sport bike. And the off-road potential, no where to be found.

So then I got back on the (new 2013) BMW 800GS. Fit like a GLOVE. So perfect for me and my height/reach (I'm 5'10, mostly leg, but got long arms too). The Tiger was not this comfortable straight off.

Fun fun fun bike... but when doing some slow-speed maneuvers (damn my friend and his getting lost/necessity for u-turns! LOL!) I missed the responsive engine of the Tiger.

When on the highway I let it rip... and again, missed the responsiveness of the Tiger. : / Just didn't leave me with the sh*t-eating grin that the Tiger did.

But the comfort of the BMW...! And yes, the turn signals are in the "correct" placement on the LEFT side! And it's a BMW, which I keep going back to (the 650GS first caught my eye as a second bike possibility and I can't shake that!). I just love the way it looks. It's a freakin' sexy bike (IMHO). Of course the Tiger copied the BMW, so looks are a moot point I suppose.

So, I keep going back to the Tiger because of that feel, that engine. But, there's the maintenance expense of Triumph as a brand and the fact that they're just not as accessible as Japanese bikes or BMWs (but BMWs never break down, right? I joked about this to the salesman at BMW and he didn't find it amusing... LOL!). But, maybe that's changing and Triumph is becoming more mainstream.

Price has become a moot point too; originally I wanted to spend less than 10 G's but obviously with these two brands I'll be spending a little bit more. For now this is fine. We'll see about maintenance. Insurance? The BMW is less than the Triumph, which was something to consider.

Anyhow! To summarize! it was down to the BMW 800GS and the Tiger 800XC. Which do you think I went with?? Cause I did....as of last week!!!!!!!!!!

(yes I know, "pics or it didn't happen", but I don't have the bike in my possession yet.)

S-bug

- Firefly/Joss Whedon

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    You tease!!

Great write up on the test riding experience. Either bike is great. I'm thinking tiger
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    Maintenance on both is about equal. Oil changes are easy on the Tiger, I even did it and only cut myself once. On the packaging for the new oil filter. Aftermarket parts are not quite as plentiful, but there are plenty of options.