Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Am Spyder commercial - licensing?

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! NoCo Gal's Avatar

Can Am Spyder commercial - licensing?

I just saw a commercial for the Can Am Spyder Roadster and heard them say, "take your motorcycle license test on a Roadster and you can go riding the next day."

What does this mean? How can they make blanket statements given licensing requirements are state specific? Do they have a 3-wheeled specific riding test? In CA you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a Spyder. In MO you do need to have an M endorsement. So can you take your test on a Spyder and get an M endorsement and then you can legally ride any 2 wheeled motorcycle afterwards?
    ~Teri

Quote Originally Posted by CodeInVB View Post
    I tried this "kissing the mirror" technique as I was turning onto an on-ramp today. I was surprised at how big of a difference just a little bit of movement made, even on a cruiser. Thanks for the advice...maybe it's time for me to go back for the next rider course.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

I can only answer for NH. We now have a three wheel course that if you complete it successfully, will allow you to ride three wheeled motorcycles only. We also have the traditional MSF course that still qualifies you with an "M" for two wheeled AND three wheeled motorcycles.
    Marilyn

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Trike laws vary from state to state...some mandate a class M endorsement while others permit you to use the automotive C endorsements...and others go so far as to set up a third classification for three wheelers. As you mentioned, CA treats three wheelers as cages, as was evident during the Governator's well publicized and historic helmetless collision with a cage while he was riding a sidecar rig.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity.

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    They're far more valuable than you realize...

So can you take your test on a Spyder and get an M endorsement and then you can legally ride any 2 wheeled motorcycle afterwards?
    In most states they are registered and licensed as motorcycles, so the answer would be "yes." I sure as heck wouldn't want to pay automobile insurance rates or automobile registration fees just because my bike had three wheels instead of two!

Seems odd to me that California and maybe other states would license them as cars. Why would CA consider them cars, to collect higher registration fees?
    And if they are cars, then you don't have to wear a helmet? What about a seatbelt?

The CanAm website has a drop-down menu. Pick your state and it tells what sort of license you need for a CanAm. Just quickly browsing a few states, I haven't seen anyone except CA consider them to be cars.
    http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/showroom...uirements.aspx

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! kwjones's Avatar
    So what if you go on a cross country trip and your state doesn't require an endorsement, but you get pulled over in a state that does?
    Kevin

Daelim S2 250
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/kwjones/s2_blue.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
    Yeah, but you're also a morning person, so this is just further proof that you're not right in the head.....
    What I'm reading
    Facebook

Flirting With The Redline Markk9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
    So what if you go on a cross country trip and your state doesn't require an endorsement, but you get pulled over in a state that does?
    It goes by the state of your license, so your home state rules apply. Would ever LEO know this, that I don't know.

In NC you do not need anything special to ride a three wheel vehicle.
    09 Versys Blue and 2011 V-Rod
    08 KLR 650 Red (sold)

Retired Eagle Driver, long live the eagle.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! kwjones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
    It goes by the state of your license, so your home state rules apply. Would ever LEO know this, that I don't know.

In NC you do not need anything special to ride a three wheel vehicle.
    You still have to follow helmet laws, regardless of your home state.
    Kevin

Daelim S2 250
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/kwjones/s2_blue.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
    Yeah, but you're also a morning person, so this is just further proof that you're not right in the head.....
    What I'm reading
    Facebook

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
    You still have to follow helmet laws, regardless of your home state.
    Correct. But in this case, if state "X" says you're now licensed to ride/drive a certain vehicle in state "X", then state "Y" will have to recognize that endorsement as well.

Now, if you move from "X" to "Y", I would assume that you may have to retake or re-qualify any tests to bring your endorsement up to their required level.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R

Previous Bikes
    '09 Royal Star Venture (Gone after 7500 great miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (Gone after 10,000 great miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (Gone after 6500 great miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (Gone after 65,000 great miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (Gone after 12,000 great miles)

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Holy Crap! I'm a Conservative!!!!
    God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Flirting With The Redline Markk9's Avatar
    Do any states plate a spyder as a car? If so, would you still need to wear a helmet in those states?
    09 Versys Blue and 2011 V-Rod
    08 KLR 650 Red (sold)

Retired Eagle Driver, long live the eagle.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCo Gal View Post
    I just saw a commercial for the Can Am Spyder Roadster and heard them say, "take your motorcycle license test on a Roadster and you can go riding the next day."

What does this mean? How can they make blanket statements given licensing requirements are state specific? Do they have a 3-wheeled specific riding test? In CA you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to ride a Spyder. In MO you do need to have an M endorsement. So can you take your test on a Spyder and get an M endorsement and then you can legally ride any 2 wheeled motorcycle afterwards?
    Ga laws states any street legal vehicle with less than four wheels falls under the motorcycle category, and therefore has to follow all the rules that apply (helmets, DRL etc)
    The spyder is therefore classified as a motorcycle, and hence the state has to allow you to take your motorcycle endorsement exam with it.

Yep, its a loophole. But there advertising is correct (at least for Ga).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650