Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Break the Lounge down by year... 8000+ posts is tough to wade through.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Agreed. Most of it is chatter. That's what the lounge area is for. If you want to keep up, use "New posts" option and wade through them that way. Also? Log in more frequently.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Signal to noise ratio in the bar thread is, uh, incredibly bad. 99% BS. Not worth wading trough to try and sift out any actual nuggets of motorcycle stuff. It just sucks that that crap spills over into threads about riding technique.
    Wow!...........just wow!

I always felt that the fun aspect of the lounge, especially the bar.....counteracts the hostility of LEPR. Just my humble opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    I think LDS means that lounge stuff is fine in the lounge, but the real riding themed threads should not deteriorate into lounge stuff. Am I right? The purpose of lounge is to be goofy, have fun, etc. He doesn't dislike the lounge, just wants it to be lounge-y, and the riding threads stick to that topic.

I agree that the "bar" thread is humongous (?sp), and sometimes totally pointless unless you have kept up with days of other 10char replies. (Like Teri says, log in more often!) but sometimes I catch up on something and it's fun, that's the purpose of it. Anyway, just click back more than one page, go back 3 at a time, and you'll find a point where you can start to catch up.

IMO, the 10char replies would be easier to wade through in the lounge if everyone's signatures were disabled; less distracting, just read the quick quips. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

RiderCoach 1000 Posts! lionlady's Avatar
    Not really anything in particular (and Chaz pointed out that I probably wasn't talking about the Lounge, but the BBO Bar thread). Its just in trying to catch up on things, it is impossible to tell how far back to look to find the beginning of a discussion. How tough would it be to start a "new" topic at the beginning of the month? No need to go back and break up the running thread, but what about going forward?
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The bar isn't really something you need to catch up on. It's just an ongoing chit chat discussion. If anything important is discussed in there, which is rare, it's probably referenced elsewhere, in a thread that doesn't move as fast or run as long.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

RiderCoach 1000 Posts! lionlady's Avatar
    I was just suggesting that breaking the BBO Bar topic every month or so would make it more "user friendly" for those of us inclined to check in occasionally. What I'm getting from you guys is that I'm reading the thread incorrectly.

So, nevermind. I'll just stop checking in there.
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Pam, I get the not getting "the bar" because I often don't follow it either. When I pop in there, my first thought is "huh???" I don't think the "bar" has any topic that could be identified easily, unless you use the most common replies which is a lot of "good mornings." I have accepted my inability to keep up with it!!

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lionlady View Post
    I was just suggesting that breaking the BBO Bar topic every month or so would make it more "user friendly" for those of us inclined to check in occasionally. What I'm getting from you guys is that I'm reading the thread incorrectly.

So, nevermind. I'll just stop checking in there.
    Oh, please don't do that. The bar is...sort of like it's real world counterpart. The people you experience while your there are the people that are there for that moment in time. What is shared in there is usually just light banter. Sometimes something personal is shared, because of it's friendly nature.

The bar was started at the suggestion of another member...which for the life of me now, I can't remember his forum name. (I'll have to search that, because he really deserves kudos.) He had visited a similar thread in another forum and gave me the link. That particular bar actually had some rather intellectual conversations going on. His point was that that particular thread lasted quite some time because of the camaraderie the conversations created.

Thing is, it is unlike other threads where there's not a single topic that is the "point" but more of a checking in place to say "I'm around, even if I haven't posted somewhere relevant"

And just like a real world bar...there's multiple conversations going on all at the same time.

So...LDS is correct...it's not a motorcycle relevant thread. I feel it does contribute to the friendliness of this forum.

And.....every.single.financial.contribution.I.pers onally.make.to.this.forum.is.labeled......"BACK RENT....BBO BAR"

Because I feel it's worth keeping around.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Good description Miss Proprietor!

I'll also add that actually the bar is broken into three threads, not exactly an annual breakdown, but there are three sequential versions.
    (With the older versions of the software when the thread got too long it would seem to start to bog down and Bugguts would "move" to a new location. Either that or she'd try to skip out on the rent! )

Maybe it's time to relocate again? I think there's stuff growing in the cushions of the corner booth now anyway! And the mounting for the brass pole is getting a little loose which discourages use.

I'm sure we can make arrangements to convert your lease to a new property if you wish Buggs.

Tom

Edit to add:
    Here's the first one from 2006: http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...ficial-BBO-Bar

And the second one from 2007: http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...r-New-Location
    Last edited by subvetSSN606; 03-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    I agree that the bar is not for linear thinkers/readers because it has multiple discussions going on at the same time in the same thread-space. When I've been absent for a few weeks, I just go back 4 or so pages and start reading forward. If there's a topic that I'm interested in, I'll go back further to follow it forward.

Think of it as a running soap opera. You can check in occasionally and get the big picture or check in daily/hourly/minutely and be part of the conversations.
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200