Page 103 of 137 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1367

Thread: 2012 West Side Rally Planning Thread, Tater Ranch, Durango CO

Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post
    Jeff is an amazing Leader whether he does the full loop or the out and back. I enjoy riding with him when he drops out of warp
    I'll second that...it felt good knowing I could keep up with him, even though I know he was holding back.....
    Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
    '09 Kawi Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

BBO Communications Liaison 5000 Posts! RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
    Clair hit it on the head. The whole loop is pretty cool, but if you're like me with blistering speeds of 40 mph uphill (35 horses from the factory and not all of them are still alive, pushing 1000+ lbs of steel and meat) the whole loop can become a bit of a chore.

We'll be in multiple little groups this year so you'll have lots of options and can cheerfully change them. Our only really strict rule is that you ride your own ride and come back in one piece. There'll be so many of use strung out so far along the road there'll almost always be someone to meet up with. Rest assured that the Slowest Damn Thing On The Road will be bravely patrolling the area between ouray and durango.
    -RMRR
    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Flirting With The Redline JohnBryer's Avatar
    Time to update page 1. I'm IN! See you there.
    '05 BMW R1200 GS
    '04 BMW R1150 RT

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    THIS:

Altitude affects everyone differently. Repeat offenders of the rally already know their capabilities. If you are a PRR newbie, you may experience some the following:
    Shortness of breath, headache, increased heart rate, decreased ability to concentrate, dry mouth, decreased endurance.

The loop is technical and twisty, the scenery will take what's left of your breath away. Ride it leisurely and enjoy the curves, but pay attention to what your body is telling you. Half way point is usually Ouray, but know that the second part of the loop is at lower elevations (not much lower) and less technical, so it may be easier to continue on.
    Last edited by asp125; 05-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Ask OC what altitude is like for a flatlander when things don't go well.

You might also ask her about the effects of alcohol at altitude as well.....
    '09 Kawi Versys

Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am used to a humid climate, so I kept hearing "hydrate" and I really did think I was drinking enough. I wasn't.

I called it a day thanks to Todd when I started to get symptoms of altitude sickness. I'm glad I didn't press on, because I survived to try another year. Next rally that I make, I'm afraid, the drunk flatlander won't be entertaining everyone, because my first step in surviving the loop is going to be cutting out the alcohol.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Blog Entries
    cutting out the alcohol.
    ... until after the ride. Because Sunday is an optional riding or hanging out, sleeping in, kind of day.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    MITGC #22

Blog Entries

Lizard Head Pass panorama (not mine)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MITGC #22

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's gonna hurt me not to have the jasmine IPA at lady falconburgh's.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Nicole, to be fair, I think how you felt Friday and Saturday was a result of several days worth of build up, dehydration and hard riding. We covered 2000 miles in 5 days, 1300+ in the first 2. I don't think the beer Friday night had a lot to do with it, though it might have been the straw that broke the camel's back. We didn't have any alcohol on Thursday (unless you had a flask I didn't know about ), and you were a little out of it already when we were headed down Molas Pass into Durango.

Guys and gals, for you first timers to these kinds of altitudes, drink 1.5-2 times the water you normally would, at least. The air is so dry up there that it sucks the water right out of you. The sweat evaporates so fast off your skin that you don't even realize you're sweating. If in doubt, drink more. Altitude sickness is nothing to mess with when you're on a motorcycle.
    '09 Kawi Versys

Oh, hell, Smurf's right.