Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never ridden, kind of know what I want

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlemon View Post
    About the 'me getting bored of 250cc bike', ive just heard that expression from buyers and sellers before, and assumed that would be the likely case. The bikes you mentioned I will look into. Anything that resembles a triumph is in my liking, so I will check out the Kawasaki bikes as well (if I have any luck).
    Suffice it to say, when you take the BRC you'll get a first hand sample of the 250 market. If you struggle with those, a bigger bike isn't going to help matters much. Even if you ace it, it doesn't necessarily translate to skills that will work in any given situation on the bigger bikes. It might make it easier to to handle the bigger bikes, mind you...but it's not a direct transition in any event.

Anyways, as far as the 250 market goes you might like the Suzuki TU250, it has that classic older 70s bike look but boasts FI and all the aforementioned new handling tech. The Rebel hasn't grown much (if at all) from its late 70s counterpart (CM185/200 TwinStar and early 80s CM250), if anything it's actually a smaller bike than its predecessors. At 6'2" --- unless it's all torso and stubby legs, I'd give you a safe pass on that one. However, the sibling CB250 Nighthawk is a different story, you'd probably like it. Sadly it gives up the Rebel's front disc brake in favor of the dated drum. The TU250's predecessor (GZ250) is a tad larger in physical dimensions over the Rebel, moreso is Yamaha's XV250 Virago/V-Star. All but the Rebel make decent torque down low, although not a lot...just more than the Rebel. Performance-wise, none of them really have any advantage over the others. What the Rebel lacks in power (compared to the other sub-20HP 250s) it makes up for in cornering capabilities, so like I said, no real overall advantage.

After that is the more obscure Hyosung/Alpha Sports/and a few other trade names they've gone under GV250 and the equally obscure Kymco Venox. Not a lot of dealer support for either, their dealerships are few and far between. I came across an Alpha Sports dealer here in Vegas at the turn of the century and haven't seen any Hyosungs since...at least not the couple of guys who sold them out of their garages anyways. I've yet to see a Kymco motorcycle, several scooter dealers here but none of them ever carried the sequential tranny models...just the good ol' "Drop a deposit and we'll order you one (sight unseen).

And then there's the various scores of chinese knock off 250 Rebel & Virago clones. For what they cost new, you might as well buy the lightly-used authentic ones instead.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

I was gonna say... if you're 6'2", scratch the Suzuki S-40/Savage off your list. I'm 5'5", 30" inseam, and I found it cramped. Cramped, narrow, and with an itty-bitty gas tank.
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    +1 --- I'd forgotten how physically similar the Savage and Rebel are. More so with the older Savages and their buckhorn handlebars that dig into your ribs during full lock turns
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline Xoulrath's Avatar
    Shadow beat me to it regarding the "bored with a 250" comment.

I will add, though, as a former owner of a Ninja 250, that I would never call the bike boring. I had things I didn't like about it certainly, but I was never bored with the bike.

I don't know much about the 250 cruisers Shadow listed, but I can confirm the TU250 is a damn blast. The only real issue with it is an inability to travel at 70+ without being pushed pretty hard. Being new you should stay off of interstates and large highways anyway. I love my wife's TU and while it lacks the power to handle long, sustained high speed travel, it is basically a perfect motorcycle in every other aspect.

My wife, brother, and a couple of friends went for a ride on Saturday. My wife's brother-in-law was one of those friends. He is a newer rider who made the unfortunate mistake of deciding to start on a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. He actually told my wife to pass him at a stop because he was slowing her down and he knew it. Yesterday at work, the BIL was talking to his father, who also rides. He basically stated my wife was "badass" to his father. His father then chatted with my wife a bit later and said, "Maybe you don't need a bigger bike." He made this comment because too often he had teased her about when she was going to get a bigger bike because a 250 didn't have any power.

You don't really need that much power to ride back roads at 60-ish mph. You do need skill.

Get that skill by starting on a 250. I did so a year and a half ago. I now ride the bike I wanted, a 600 supersport. More importantly, I ride it well, BECAUSE of that "boring" 250. Seriously, sit on as many different 250's as you can, take the BRC as mentioned, and then pick up a used 250 for a little bit of coin now and ride it for at least six months, if not a year or so to develop your skills.

Oh, that friend who started on the 1500? He has already gone down because of an inability to negotiate a corner. Thankfully he was alright and he is naturally a cautious person who has been made more so because of the crash. Who knows how far his learning curve has been set back? My brother started on, and still has, a V Star 650. He has also been unfortunate enough to go down due to inability to negotiate a corner, even with a smaller bike and some dirt bike experience.

If you don't want a 250, then start with one of the bikes on the approved list. You will be better off for it. Just don't ever let anyone tell you a 250 is a boring machine.

Oh, and be sure to read my sig line.
    Borrowed from Deadstick - Although I can handle the bike under normal circumstances, I am no longer confident that I can handle it in all circumstances. I think that is where the idea of a "beginner" bike really lies. It's not that a beginner can't ride it if he/she does everything correctly, it's that he/she should be able to ride it with a margin of safety even if he/she does something wrong or conditions exceed his/her skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by waterlemon View Post
    I've never ridden a motorcycle, but lately I have gotten really into the idea of buying a used bike. Im 6"2 and ~165 lbs and am in good physical condition
    I was there, oh, about 2 months ago. Never even touched a motorcycle before I took the MSF BRC class back in August. It was great fun, I learned a lot (a whole lot), and I highly recommend it. Doing the class was really fun, but getting out on the street was a whole different ball game. Granted, I've only done about 40 miles (bought the bike, did some repairs, and then broke something trying to fix it ), but I can tell you- 250cc is plenty fast. I've always been a car person, and always liked going fast. Not a huge fan of 4-cylinder cars, because I just find them a bit too slow. But the bike, all ~25 horsepower of it, is quick. I know that the 0-60 is only about 7.5 seconds (with a good driver, and in good working condition- no and no on my part), which is about the same as my truck, but it feels so much quicker. Now, granted, I'm a complete noob too, and I do have (what I believe is) the quickest 250 out there- the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but I'm with Xoulrath- I have a really hard time believing this bike is ever going to get boring on account of speed. The size, yeah it's not huge (but I'm 6'2'' also and fit fine on it) and I hate carbureators (we aren't on speaking terms right now ), but other than that I love it. So (like you've heard a million times) don't discount the smaller engined bikes yet. They may not be for you, and it may work out to get something with a few more cc's, like a GS500 or Ninja 500 or any number of other bikes, but based on what I've read over the past couple of months, people that start out on a slower bike are usually happier for it.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SandCountry View Post
    I was there, oh, about 2 months ago. Never even touched a motorcycle before I took the MSF BRC class back in August. It was great fun, I learned a lot (a whole lot), and I highly recommend it. Doing the class was really fun, but getting out on the street was a whole different ball game. Granted, I've only done about 40 miles (bought the bike, did some repairs, and then broke something trying to fix it ), but I can tell you- 250cc is plenty fast. I've always been a car person, and always liked going fast. Not a huge fan of 4-cylinder cars, because I just find them a bit too slow. But the bike, all ~25 horsepower of it, is quick. I know that the 0-60 is only about 7.5 seconds (with a good driver, and in good working condition- no and no on my part), which is about the same as my truck, but it feels so much quicker. Now, granted, I'm a complete noob too, and I do have (what I believe is) the quickest 250 out there- the Kawasaki Ninja 250, but I'm with Xoulrath- I have a really hard time believing this bike is ever going to get boring on account of speed. The size, yeah it's not huge (but I'm 6'2'' also and fit fine on it) and I hate carbureators (we aren't on speaking terms right now ), but other than that I love it. So (like you've heard a million times) don't discount the smaller engined bikes yet. They may not be for you, and it may work out to get something with a few more cc's, like a GS500 or Ninja 500 or any number of other bikes, but based on what I've read over the past couple of months, people that start out on a slower bike are usually happier for it.

...I love this one for the non-believers, crank up the volume:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMVNAYqnRT0

Welcome, WaterLemon.

You may wind up wanting to change bikes 6 months or a year into riding, but it shouldn't be because you're bored. Believe us - getting on the road on two wheels, with no metal surrounding you - is anything but boring. OK, I've kicked that dead horse .
    If you do want to change bikes, it will likely be because you've become more familiar with other styles, and found one that fits you better, or is better suited to what you want to do with your motorcycling career. Twisties? Long rides with lots of luggage? Both? Different bikes for different things.
    You've already learned something - when it comes to buying a bike, be very wary of sales staff. They may be trying to sell a model that the dealer wants off the floor, or upsell you into something you - or virtually any new rider - is not ready to handle, for the sake of a higher commission.
    There are good sales people out there. But it never hurts to come back here and check any of their assertions with people who have nothing to gain financially, and just want you to get into riding safely.
    Also, new rider + powerful bike = scary insurance rates.

Anyway, nail down your BRC class and have a great time with this new thing. Here, we kinda like it!
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”
    - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' author

Flirting With The Redline DUISparky's Avatar
    I'm going to put another plug in for starting small, engine wise. A lot of people seem to think that a smaller, lighter weight bike = boring but they are far from that. My first "street" bike was a Honda 305 and I had a blast on that thing. After putting 40 years and somewhere around 100k miles on "small" bikes (650 and under) I finally graduated up to a +1000 cc engine last year. I still have fun on the bigger cruiser but there are so many things you can do with the smaller, lighter rides that don't translate well to bigger, heavier ones.
    2015 Indian Scout First Run #500
    2016 Indian Chief Vintage

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Thumbs up

305 is sweeeeet, friend had one just like this:

Flirting With The Redline DUISparky's Avatar
    That's the one! I miss that bike ...
    2015 Indian Scout First Run #500
    2016 Indian Chief Vintage