Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally! I got the O.K. for a motorcycle.

Finally! I got the O.K. for a motorcycle.

It seems patience is a virtue after all. My dad gave me the O.K. last night. So far Ive been riding around on a Tomos Streetmate 50cc scooter. My price range is around 1000. These are the ones Im looking at.

http://macon.craigslist.org/mcy/2699105162.html

http://albanyga.craigslist.org/mcy/2712778682.html

http://macon.craigslist.org/mcy/2701217642.html

The first is a bit of a leap, but I may be able to trade the guy some of my guitar things. Thoughts?
    DH

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! phendric's Avatar
    That Buell looks sweet! When you say it's a stretch, are you talking money-wise (duh, of course you are, since your budget is $1000. If I'd just read more carefully...)? If you like the bike, it wouldn't hurt to offer less and see if he accepts...

The Suzi in the third listing looks nice, too, though I don't know much about those bikes.

Congrats on getting the go ahead from the parents!
    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Yea, money wise. XD

I would REALLLYYY love the Suzuki (CAFE RACER?!?!?!?!?!?), and It's the most likely option; however, Im not sure If the upkeep of an 80s model would be easy enough for a beginner like me...
    DH

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Most of the '80s Suzuki models are silly-easy to maintain. But, you have valve adjusment (though, easy shim-over-bucket type) to do as well as caring for a chain. The Blast has a belt and hydraulic compensators for the valvetrain, so there's none of that.

The Blast has some funny issues, but it looks like the seller has mitigated the biggest two of them. I would opine that the Blast, despite being $500 more than the GS, is a $500 better machine as well. That's where my money would be.
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

Flirting With The Redline madjak30's Avatar
    Those Buells are supposed to be quite reliable and low maintenance...tough as nails...great first bike, if you can get him down a bit in price with other trade items that would be my suggestion...the other two are getting "up there" in age...you would have to make sure all the hoses are in good shape, not dry rotted and cracked...and the wiring insulation may have become brittle and start causing electrical issues which are hard to trouble shoot...the maintenance on the other two won't be too bad since they are pretty basic bikes as well...but the Buell has the auto enricher cct for the carb (no choke), self adjusting valves & a belt drive...all nice to have as a newbie...

Here's a link to check out the specs of the Buell...

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...uell-Blast.htm

Good Luck!! Oh yeah, and congrats on the "go ahead" from Dad...

Later.
    **Remember...if you're not having fun, you're doing it WRONG!! **

Riding since May 2010

2006 Yamaha MT-01 (repaired and ready to ride!!)
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/madjak30/mt-01
    2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)

But cafe racers are just so tempting. Just found a Honda CB360T running for 700 bucks. I just need to replace the tires.
    http://athensga.craigslist.org/mcy/2719142566.html
    DH

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you want to ride, then a reliable bike is preferred over one that you'd have to tinker with. But, a running cafe bike has style points over anything else IMO. My money's on the Buell if that is going to be your only ride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    I like the Suzuki and the 360T. But then I have a full rolling toolbox, money for parts, a fair amount of skill with the tools, and A BIKE TO RIDE.

Take your time and enjoy the hunt. I would go for the Buell or if cash limited find an older Ninja 250 or 500. Keep away from things that have been off road (hard use) and models that were around for only a few years (hard to get parts). The right bike will show up if you let it.

My basic rules when hunting a low bucks vehicle are to pick something as simple as possible that was made in huge numbers. Simple minimizes the chance of something failing and huge numbers make it more likely that the parts are there when something breaks.

Dave

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Never heard of the Suzuki, but the Honda CBs have been around forever and they made a gazillion of em, and there is a healthy aftermarket for parts. If you wanted to build a cafe bike the CB is the one to get.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

I found a lot more motorcycles a bit further away. I even found a Suzuki GS500E for 700 bucks. I think Im going to go that route. It needs a brake replacement, tach cable, battery, and choke cable, but I figure those things I can replace myself. And Im pretty sure Im trading the scooter I have now for a larger 150cc scooter, so Ill have a backup. Good deal?
    DH