Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Intro and Advice for the right "big guy" first bike

I gotta jump in and toot the horn for the GS500F. I just bought one a few weeks ago and while not my first bike (hell, not my first sports bike) its definitly my favorite. It's easy to ride, plenty of power (I'm 6'4", about 230 with a 34" inseam), I dont feel cramped, and though it has the sports "look" its set up a bit more like a touring bike with a slightly more upright riding position. It's extremely forgiving of novice mistakes (like shifting in a corner....like I did yesterday...). There are large soft saddle bags that fit it, dozens of tank packs that fit it, and it gets 70mpg even when I crank it. I commute to work on it up I-5 and I-80 and easily do 90+ just to keep up with traffic and it has no problems keeping up even with my big rear end on it. And, best of all, the insurance with full coverage is less than $200 a year (its a 2008 and I'm 31 years old.)

I like the looks of the GS500F. It's one still on my shortlist. Keeping a very open mind until after my class (Sept 9-11) Not much pillion room though after I'm in the saddle
    Red meat is not bad for you...
    fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! phendric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungmaggot View Post
    I gotta jump in and toot the horn for the GS500F. I just bought one a few weeks ago and while not my first bike (hell, not my first sports bike) its definitly my favorite. It's easy to ride, plenty of power (I'm 6'4", about 230 with a 34" inseam), I dont feel cramped, and though it has the sports "look" its set up a bit more like a touring bike with a slightly more upright riding position. It's extremely forgiving of novice mistakes (like shifting in a corner....like I did yesterday...). There are large soft saddle bags that fit it, dozens of tank packs that fit it, and it gets 70mpg even when I crank it. I commute to work on it up I-5 and I-80 and easily do 90+ just to keep up with traffic and it has no problems keeping up even with my big rear end on it. And, best of all, the insurance with full coverage is less than $200 a year (its a 2008 and I'm 31 years old.)
    Oooohhh...the GS500 can easily go 90+? Definitely enough bike for me, being my first bike and all...

I want to know how it is that you get full insurance coverage for less than $200/yr. I got quotes for a bunch of different bikes, and none of them were less than $200. How much riding experience do you have?
    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Quote Originally Posted by phendric View Post
    Oooohhh...the GS500 can easily go 90+? Definitely enough bike for me, being my first bike and all...

I want to know how it is that you get full insurance coverage for less than $200/yr. I got quotes for a bunch of different bikes, and none of them were less than $200. How much riding experience do you have?
    Oh yeah, I have no problems at all keeping up with speeding California freeway traffic. You're not going to be able to weave in and out of traffic at 130mph like the CBR's and Gixxers but you'll be able to keep up without feeling like you're going to be run over by the semi behind you.

As for my insurance, it breaks down like this. I got my drivers license in 1996 and my motorcycle endorsement in 2000. I rode for about a year before having to sell my bike to pay for college and haven't rode at all until about a month ago when I bought my 500F. Thing is, I'm over 30, married with kids, a home owner, a paramedic, and have a flawless driving record and all those factor into keeping my rates down. The biggest factor to determine your premiums will be your age and your driving record. Insurance companies love to hammer males under 28 with super high premiums (even though its been suggested by several recent studies that women are worse drivers. Sorry ladies.) Shop around for your motorcycle insurance though, it isn't like auto insurance where your prices will be somewhat similar. When I called around some places were over $100 a month! I went with Nationwide, in case you're curious, solely because their rates were the best.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! phendric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungmaggot View Post
    Oh yeah, I have no problems at all keeping up with speeding California freeway traffic. You're not going to be able to weave in and out of traffic at 130mph like the CBR's and Gixxers but you'll be able to keep up without feeling like you're going to be run over by the semi behind you.

As for my insurance, it breaks down like this. I got my drivers license in 1996 and my motorcycle endorsement in 2000. I rode for about a year before having to sell my bike to pay for college and haven't rode at all until about a month ago when I bought my 500F. Thing is, I'm over 30, married with kids, a home owner, a paramedic, and have a flawless driving record and all those factor into keeping my rates down. The biggest factor to determine your premiums will be your age and your driving record. Insurance companies love to hammer males under 28 with super high premiums (even though its been suggested by several recent studies that women are worse drivers. Sorry ladies.) Shop around for your motorcycle insurance though, it isn't like auto insurance where your prices will be somewhat similar. When I called around some places were over $100 a month! I went with Nationwide, in case you're curious, solely because their rates were the best.
    So it looks to the insurance companies like you have 10+ years of riding experience, since you got your endorsement in 2000. I'm now remembering that my insurance company (Progressive - they have a contract with USAA, who doesn't provide insurance for motorcyclists) told me that my rates would steadily come down after the first year, since I'm a new rider. Let's hope that 5 years in, I'm paying $150 instead of $270 (or whatever it is).

I'm 29, too, so I avoid the rate hike on the 28-and-under crowd.
    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phendric View Post
    (Progressive - they have a contract with USAA, who doesn't provide insurance for motorcyclists)
    Sidenote --- Progressive has a contract w/USAA in your area, not neccesarily across the country. They sublet other companies from place to place, USAA can't even recommend anyone for me as they have no affiliate out here (many years ago they forwarded me to State Farm, who raped me for a quote back then).
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com