Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MinGATT

MinGATT

Yeah...MINIMUM Gear All The Time--

Here's my thinking. ATGATT is a wonderful goal and for lots of folks easily and readily doable. BUT there's a huge group of humans who don't. So my question is--what's the MinGATT you would be comfortable with recommending.

Scenario: your semi-friend Joe Schmoe is walking to his bike with only a tee shirt, shorts and flip flops. You KNOW you're not gonna get him into "ALL The Gear"...what do you recommend as MinGATT?

(OR do you just ignore it?)

Me? Gloves and a lid...maybe long pants as well...take what you can get...
    Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://motorcycleslifeandeverything.wordpress.com

http://howzitdonecrash.com

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Val's Avatar
    gloves, helmet, jacket, jeans and boots. that's the minimum for me personally. I am hoping to add a set of mesh pants for summer.

on point, I would at least try and get them to wear the gloves and helmet as crash suggested.
    aka: Muffin

08 Kawasaki Concours
    09 Suzuki c50 - Gone after 15,000 great miles.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! NoCo Gal's Avatar
    Helmet and jeans. Minimum. Gloves if I can get it. But for many of my riding friends, it's 1/2 fingered gloves or none, and t-shirts or tanks. But they wear helmets and jeans. Most wear boots too, but some wear athletic shoes.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyCruiser
    I don’t want to beat any record, I want to soak up the world which becomes more clear at lower speeds...Besides, you can’t buy adventure, you can only experience it – “Ride Your Own Biography”. From Triumphratnet
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    Helmet as the absolute minimum.

Now, what's the next item that covers the area with the most common (non-life threatening) injuries:
    Helmet + Jacket? (although does a riding jacket reduce blunt trauma to the mid-section of the body? I thought it did a little bit)
    or Helmet + Jeans

then:
    Helmet + Jacket + Jeans (+ anything but flip flops)
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

My Helmet/Gloves theory:

Give you friend a shove, not enough to knock them down just enough that they automatically put out their hands to catch themselves...I call that "putting down the landing gear".

Yeah, FULL FINGERED GLOVES YA GOOFBALL!!! 'Cause you always put out the landing gear.
    Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://motorcycleslifeandeverything.wordpress.com

http://howzitdonecrash.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    If it's "local cruising" (i.e. bar hopping, local bike night, etc), helmet, jeans, good over the ankle shoes would be my minimum recommendation. Gloves and at least something over the arms like a heavy shirt would be encouraged. Highway riding, touring, or anything involving "highway+ speeds", ATGATT is the minimum.

as a side note...anymore, even just moving the bike from like a gas pump island to a parking space without gloves, feels REALLY awkward and weird.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R

Previous Bikes
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Val's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    'Cause you always put out the landing gear.
    +1 to this. I just had this conversation with a friend of mine. I mean who doesn't put there hands out first when they go down?
    aka: Muffin

08 Kawasaki Concours
    09 Suzuki c50 - Gone after 15,000 great miles.

Hittin' The Twisties Buckethead's Avatar
    My minimum will replace riding pants for jeans. I still wear Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, and Boots
    Buckethead

My Ride : 2007 GS500f / 2009 GSXR600

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    My Helmet/Gloves theory:

Give you friend a shove, not enough to knock them down just enough that they automatically put out their hands to catch themselves...I call that "putting down the landing gear".

Yeah, FULL FINGERED GLOVES YA GOOFBALL!!! 'Cause you always put out the landing gear.
    Agreed! Forgot to add in the gloves ... I think there's more resistance to wearing gloves than other items. I see more riders with full gear and no gloves than other combinations around here (where, granted it is much cooler than the beach where flip-flops take over)
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

I agree that gloves are right up there with helmet as minimum. My personal minimum is helmet, boots, gloves, jacket, jeans. I've pushed for this with hubby as well. Jacket and helmet must be "motorcycle specific". But, boots as long as they are over the ankle, and good heavy leather gloves will do.
    Marilyn