Thread: Scooter Safety Tips

Scooter Safety Tips

Sure they're economical, easy to ride, fun and practical, but scooters aren't always among the safest bikes out there. Here are four quick tips on how to make your ride a little safer:
    Scooter Safety Tips

Mods: if there is a better forum for this please move it. I wasn't sure if it should go in with the scooters or with general tips?

I know this was posted a whole ago, but I can't resist. This is addressed, not to the person who posted this thread, but to the writer of the linked article.

First, scooters are motorcycles. They have a step through design, an automatic transmission, and brake controls on both handle bars. Any rider interested in learning to ride will discover this. For larger size scooters a drivers license is required to operate one. Scooters are not a separate species of bikes. They are not immune to the laws of physics. They share the same roads and woes of a 2-wheeled vehicles. Acting as if scooter riders don't know this is kind of insulting.

Contrary to the belief, loud pipes don't really save lives. They annoy the hell out of people, followed by an equal level of confusion. I would never suggest to any scooter rider to alter their bike just to make it louder. The quiet sound is an advantage I enjoy over motorcycles. Why mess that up? Being seen is more important than being heard, and there are many was to make that happen.

- Wolf

Whenever I set off on my scoot, I ask myself the question, "well, what should I look out for?" When I'm city riding, which is most of the time, I remind myself to watch for vehicles entering my road/path from left & right roads & driveways, at intersections, & vehicles which might make on-coming left turns. If my ride takes me through 'country', I add deer to my mental list. For me, I have to ask myself each & every time what to look out for; otherwise, I don't pay as much attention. I wish it would come automatically to me, but it doesn't. So I combat it by consciously asking myself what to watch for.
    Don't grow old; & choose your parents well.

Welcome back to the site CR! Tell us about your scoot.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Thanks N.

This thread is about safety, so briefly...

My scoot is a 2014 SYM RV200 EVO, 171 cc, matte black, liquid cooled, all stock, with 3000 miles on the odometer.

While it is a good quality vehicle, it is my impression that not many have sold (too expensive?), unlike the SYM HD200. Furthermore, there is little technical, troubleshooting & repair information available about them in the public domain; so not as easy as other scoots to maintain & repair for the do-it-yourselfer.

I imagine there are a lot of good riding venues in SoCal. I use my scoot as a primary mode of transportation until the snow falls. Thereafter I wait until the salt is washed off the roads by Spring rains, before riding again either in April or May, usually. So I don't take off for "a ride", as such; just ride to & fro work, grocery, friends, & social events, much like most people use cars. If a longer distance journey is necessary, I'll ride the scoot, but those are few & far between.

This past winter, it was so mild that salt was placed on the road a handful of times , I was able to ride every month. I don't ride when the temperature is 20F or less, as I don't have appropriate heated gear.
    Don't grow old; & choose your parents well.

Sounds like you and I have the same riding philosophy, though I’m usually back on the road around March. Our winter has been a little mild, so I may commute to work tomorrow if there’s no sigh of rain.

Over the years my biggest decision not to ride in the cold isn’t always swayed by temperature, or ice, but salt. Seeing what it can do to your bike, corrosively, makes the wait worth it. Nothing is worse than having your bike ready to ride in the warmer weather only to see all the rust and corrosion caused by salt covered roads.

Sym makes great bike so I hope you can find places, or sources to help with service and maintenance.

- Wolf

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    I love the good advice and common sense in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.