Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here into Trials

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That 9yo is amazing!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Trust me on this: anybody that can ride a motorcycle can learn to ride Trials. Riding in amateur motorcycle competitions Does improve your riding skills. Trials takes less space then landing a plane, cost about a dollar a day for fuel, gives you full body exercise and is totally addictive ... I added that last part because I don't want you thinking I'm obsessed.

Damn, now I want to see how high I can ride up a tree

We have Observed trials every year in Big Bear Cal. First time I saw trials I was about 10. I still just walk away saying "How the F*** do they do that?" I couldn't even hike some of those sections! Dang, just dang.

Yes, I have ridden an OSSA Plonker 250 up the stairs at my local high school football bleachers. (Back in about 1975 or so.) I guess I've lived here a longtime!

Flirting With The Redline madjak30's Avatar
    @ Trials...you heading out west again this summer? If so, it would give me a good reason for a nice weekend ride...and it would be nice to put a face to a name (online name anyway )

I'm thinking of repairing my bike...selling and getting a more adventure type, and have enough left over for a project bike...not sure what type yet...

Or I might just ride it for one more season, then sell & change styles...but I like the idea of trials riding...even just some off road riding skills would be useful...working on fitness level over the winter, if for no other reason than to gain flexibility (health benefits obviously)...then maybe I'll be more comfortable on more bikes...

My accident this season drove home my need for more practice/training...not that I thought I had it all figured out, but I was getting a little ahead of myself...

Later.
    **Remember...if you're not having fun, you're doing it WRONG!! **

Riding since May 2010

2006 Yamaha MT-01 (repaired and ready to ride!!)
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/madjak30/mt-01
    2003 Suzuki GS500 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    We have Observed trials every year in Big Bear Cal. First time I saw trials I was about 10. I still just walk away saying "How the F*** do they do that?" I couldn't even hike some of those sections! Dang, just dang.
    Yes, I have ridden an OSSA Plonker 250 up the stairs at my local high school football bleachers. (Back in about 1975 or so.) I guess I've lived here a longtime!
    mmmmmmmm Ossa
    stairs are too easy on an Ossa

I'm embarrassed to say the first time I rode one was a private sale test ride opportunity sans helmet. I was just a little sh*t kid~14, older brother, myself and another rider were going to cash purchase an enduro to Team race, since I could outride and wrench them I was inspector/test rider, they negotiated and convinced the poor sap to let me ride the bikes.
    Poor Ossa owner never seen his bike do a cat walk before and totally freaked when he seen me coming around the corner and down the street on the rear tire only, almost felt like cheating compared to my normal ride at that time (TS185)
    Spanish bikes handled so much better at the time.

madjak:
    Filled out my 2012 CMA license application and I'll be requesting a sanction for another National event at my cottage in August. I would go out west again in a heartbeat if they host a 2012 CMA national in Ioco or Squamish, not sure about Vancouver Island, the island ferry cost would be prohibitive and if I fly I can't take my dog or the wife.

I can't say that Trials riding experience would have prevented your corner altercation, but it will make you a better rider if you take it up.
    Great first ride experience for the kids and wife if you must convince the softer half.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Jumping curbs at work makes me so curious about this..... I don't know that I will ever go for the full trials experience, but I want to do some dirt riding for sure!
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    Jumping curbs at work makes me so curious about this..... I don't know that I will ever go for the full trials experience, but I want to do some dirt riding for sure!
    i think i'm falling in love with you ...you're probably really hot too

If you are going to get dirty, Trials is the Best first place to start.
    I didn't, wish I did, was too hooked on go fast.

how hard can it be

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Ha! Hardly.

Dur.... the more videos of this I watch, the more I want to try it. I'm really finding it funny how what I like to do for testing myself is so wildly different from two wheels to four. It's my inner Gemini, I should have known this would happen...
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

There is a CMA provincial Trial tomorrow, not far from Gravenhurst Ontario it would make a great ride destination for anybody in the Toronto area. Just incase you want to come check it out; here's the flyer & map.
    http://www.canmocycle.ca/flyers/ata.pdf

No charge for spectators, best to arrive by noon, there is about 3 miles of dirt road.
    My rider number is 51 if you can make it out be sure to introduce yourself

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with your ride(s) Trial!

Connected via Tapatalk
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200