Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phishing nightmares

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Suomi's Avatar
    Wait, so you're telling me that "password" might not be secure? What if I kick it up a notch and change it to "suomi's-password," assuming the apostrophe is allowed of course? For serious, though, every office I've seen that required frequent password changes seemed to also have another thing in common: almost computer had a sticky note hung from the monitor with the password written thereon. I did have someone once supposedly break into my eBay account, but they didn't actually do anything with it, so who knows.
    Last edited by Suomi; 04-14-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: fixing mixed up tenses
    Tim
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT
    vroom

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I once used a password = "I dont have a password" , whenever anyone asked me what my password was, I'd tell them.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    I have a system very similar to what Jeff described. For general internet use I use 3 or 4 different "key" words, and when I write them down, I can just use the first letter and then * for the rest, with a combination of upper and lower case, and a number or two thrown in for fun. I have different permutations of those same 3 or 4 key words that I use with other trigger words based on what the particular site is. For email accounts and financial stuff, I have a different set of 3 or 4 key words - different for each site. For my work computer, where I have to change the password every 3 months, I have yet a different a series of words built into (however many different ones they require before you can repeat) that I rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Suomi View Post
    Wait, so you're telling me that "password" might not be secure? What if I kick it up a notch and change it to "suomi's-password," assuming the apostrophe is allowed of course? For serious, though, every office I've seen that required frequent password changes seemed to also have another thing in common: almost computer had a sticky note hung from the monitor with the password written thereon. I did have someone once supposedly break into my eBay account, but they didn't actually do anything with it, so who knows.
    See: 'the password is dead'
    --
    M.I.T.G.C #11

Current bike: '11 Ducati MTS1200S, '08 WR250X
    Bikes I have owned: '06 Sprint ST, '06 KTM 950 SM, '03 KLR 650

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    For sites that you might only visit a few times a year. Put any character string in. Then click the 'i forgot my password'. Good sites have secondary security. Not-so-secure sites just send a link to a new password or worse yet, send you the bloody password in the clear!
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

I use the same password quite often. Thanks for the suggestions.

<<<threadjack>>>> funny story about technology------> Last Friday there was a lock down at the High School right at the end of the school day. So right after school our assistant principal made an all call for any available staff to report to the media center. I went. She explained that we needed to keep the kids real calm, that the buses at our school couldn't go anywhere but not to tell them what the situation was. she shared with us what was happening according to the police.

So as I went out the front door to get on a bus full of kids to chit chat with them a kid just outside the door was holding his cell phone & said to another " There's a lock down. The cops have a guy holed up in a house on 13th. There might be a weapon involved"... so much for not telling the kids!!! His brother was at the HS and sent him a text message. funny.
    "Keep fighting for freedom and justice... but don't you forget to have fun doin' it. Let your laughter ring forth. Be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cat, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."

Molly Irvin RIP

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    What if I use "I forgot my password" as my password?

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Login id: NoneOfYourBusiness
    Password: WhyDoYouThinkIKnowWhatItIs
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    Recovery mode for the old Xerox 8000 series workstations had a logon/password of 911/IAcceptTheRisk

Dave

All the banter is good fun. I don't mean to rain on it. I'll just say that my last couple of days have not been very good. I feel "invaded". Dare I say that I almost feel "violated". I don't like the feeling.

I don't care if I have to go through every account that I have for any little thing. Passwords are being changed. Each one is totally unique. I will be changing them frequently. I hate this whole business. But the computer is practically a necessity these days. I'd be lost without it. But I am no longer as naive as I was a few days ago. I hope no one here learns about all this stuff the hard way. Protect your personal information. Don't wait for disaster.
    Marilyn