Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Now if the forks are merely being slid up or down through the trees to affect their actual length, different story and this can affect the trail dimension to a considerably greater degree than a preload setting...thus affecting front end stability/maneuverability to a much greater degree.
    This is what I am referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by S-bug View Post
    LOL! Thought this was a new post. Delete delete! Happy riding.
    lololol. Thanks nonetheless.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Groovy, now we know what to look for. Compare your fork lengths between the 600 & 750 and adjust via the triple tree accordingly if they're different. Granted it's easier to slide them up through the tree than down...you start to lose the bite as the tubes fall through the top hole and that's never a good thing either
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! phendric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave... View Post
    I had an interesting afternoon today. In some relatively busy traffic on the 15N between 10 and 210 number 1 lane, I hit a massive pothole and next thing I know I have a nice fat tank slapper going on. Didn't help that I'm coming back from a crash...
    So what happened after your crash, anyway? I assume you ended up keeping the bike and repairing it? Did your insurance cover any of the repair costs?

As I think about the principles of SEE, I wonder - how long were you able to see the pothole before you we're riding over it? Where was it in the lane?

Glad you're okay!
    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! phendric's Avatar
    So I went back today to see if I could find the pothole and I did (went on number 2 lane this time). So for any socal riders out there, be on the lookout if riding the number 1 lane on 15 North after the 10 and maybe a mile or two before the Foothill exit. It's about 1.5 feet wide in the middle to right 1/3 of the lane, less than a foot long and maybe 3-4 inches deep. It's in the shape of a D with the curved part coming first and then the straight.
    That's right around Bass Pro, no? Big hole, though - the surface of the 15 in that general area stinks, though.
    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Groovy, now we know what to look for. Compare your fork lengths between the 600 & 750 and adjust via the triple tree accordingly if they're different. Granted it's easier to slide them up through the tree than down...you start to lose the bite as the tubes fall through the top hole and that's never a good thing either
    So am I correct then that having raised forks probably decreased the effect of the tank slapper?

Quote Originally Posted by phendric View Post
    So what happened after your crash, anyway? I assume you ended up keeping the bike and repairing it? Did your insurance cover any of the repair costs?

As I think about the principles of SEE, I wonder - how long were you able to see the pothole before you we're riding over it? Where was it in the lane?

Glad you're okay!
    Thanks. I didn't go through insurance. I changed the front wheel, swapped the front end, replaced the subframe, and zip-tied/DIY'd some cheapo walmart driving lights for headlights. No fairings at the moment and I'm debating whether to go naked/streetfighter, china fairings, or track fairings.

As for seeing the pothole ahead of time, there was a car ahead of me which I gave a gap for (there was a good volume of cars on the road) and perhaps I could have swerved out of the way but I didn't try as I didn't think it was going to be as large or as bad as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by phendric View Post
    That's right around Bass Pro, no? Big hole, though - the surface of the 15 in that general area stinks, though.
    I think so. It's in between Ontario and Rancho Cucamonga. I reported it to Caltrans. Hopefully they fix it soon.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    It can be hard to leave enough gap in front of you in heavy traffic... but you should try to leave enough. It matters a lot more on a bike than it does in a car when something suddenly appears from under the car in front of you.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Blog Entries
    So am I correct then that having raised forks probably decreased the effect of the tank slapper?
    Yes, a longer fork would increase the rake & trail, thereby reducing "tank slap-ability".

I changed the front wheel

Remember that this also affects rake/trail if the size is different. An extra inch +/- of wheel & tire diameter equates to a half inch of fork length per se. In other words, an extra inch of fork length would put your steering head in the same position as an extra two inches of wheel & tire. Factor that when you compare your fork lengths.

No fairings at the moment and I'm debating whether to go naked/streetfighter, china fairings, or track fairings.

I heartily recommend buying from anywhere but China whenever possible.

I know, you meant chin fairing
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    It can be hard to leave enough gap in front of you in heavy traffic... but you should try to leave enough. It matters a lot more on a bike than it does in a car when something suddenly appears from under the car in front of you.
    Just to put that into perspective: a Mack truck can run over a Mazda. Your motorcycle can't clear the remnants of that Mazda the Mack spits out from behind.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Eh, I've bought Auctmarts fairings before. Quality wise, it's nothing compared to OEM but I didn't have any fitting issues. For the money, it's not bad if you're not looking to win any beauty contests.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post

Tom
    +1 to that ! It can't be stressed enough how important it is to maintain ample space in front of you at all time. The 'hard' part is keeping them off your rear.

On the subject of dealing with a pothole or even road debris, in my experience swerving or emergency braking is seldom an option in traffic flow, I recommend you all have a better plan than to armor up, dampen your steering & brace for impact.
    ...personally I bunny-hop holes as small as a meter across its just one of those; dirt-bike experience pays big dividends riding on the street moments.