Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice.

I asked him if he has any advice for how to break the news to my gf and family. He says, "You think I look bad? You should see the mountain!" I should have expected as much from the guy who texted a pic of his crashed bike at the track to his wife with a "oopsie". LOL

Glad Dave is OK after this one and this has been an interesting story thread for sure, read the whole thing all the way through to here. From the original post to the last video it has been a fascinating study of one new riders odyssey. I am not too surprised at this somewhat predictable turn of events however, based on early choices, glad no one else was involved. Good video on this last and latest ride however.
    Last edited by rider66; 06-19-2012 at 12:55 AM.
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 13,900 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

"A gentleman is someone that knows how to play a banjo, but doesn't"

Thanks.

Not too long ago, I helped my gf's brother get a 250 instead of that literbike he wanted and I'm sure I'll be sneaking in rides when it becomes my gf's bike.

This being my personal riding chronicle of sorts, I just wanted to add the following. Before I got into riding, I thought I accepted the fact that I would go down someday. As they say, it's about when, not if. However, the very first thing that I distinctly remember immediately after getting up after the crash was bewilderingly thinking something along the lines of, "You've got to be shitting me. That did not just happen."
    Last edited by dave...; 06-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! tlwmsu's Avatar
    First off, glad you're OK. As other, more experienced riders than I have already said...use as a learning experience. Sounds like you already know what happened and how to correct/prevent in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave... View Post
    As they say, it's about when, not if.
    I do however, always take issue with the statement above. I will possibly, eventually jinx myself into having a crash, but I think riding choices and how much one pushes the envelope factors into this statement. Five years, two bikes and roughly 30k miles into my motorcycle riding experience, I have yet to crash. Maybe I will one day...but to just expect it to happen seems to defeat the purpose of being careful, SEEing my environment and riding as if the entire world is out to get me. I could just say, "f__k it" and expect to crash, rationalizing that I have on proper gear and to go ahead and get it over with, but I still want to aim for keeping the shiny side up. Now, if I lose my concentration one day, or some moron decides to clip me...what amma gonna do? Crash...but I will probably have the same reaction as you did. "You've got to be shitting me. That did not just happen."
    Last edited by tlwmsu; 06-20-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    2007 Kawi Vulcan 900 Custom ** SOLD **

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
    - John Wayne

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.

Not too long ago, I helped my gf's brother get a 250 instead of that literbike he wanted and I'm sure I'll be sneaking in rides when it becomes my gf's bike.
    Be careful, don't take it into the canyons or that 250 might just grow on you.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    How's it going everyone? Long time no see. Just wanted to update this thread because it sort of reminds me as a personal blog of sorts when all this motorcycle stuff started.

I crashed up in the twisties. Here's the footage:
    The inset in your video shows why you crashed. You were trying to show you could get a knee down. Kinda like chicken strips. Means nothing. Unfortunately, crashing is an expensive way to learn that. Hope you're okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Thanks.

I won't deny I fucked up, went too fast for the corner, and should have kept this shit at the track. But I wasn't trying to make a knee drag video. I scraped peg in the past, was told to change rearsets, adjust suspension, and adjust body positioning. I wanted to see how much clearance I had with these changes. But it was a new angle I was trying out and while I don't believe I was trying to show off for the camera because I have grazed my knee in the past, I did stay there a little longer than I usually do and each successive run did get a little faster. It wasn't only until the last run that I moved the camera from the tail (for my BP) to the knee. I'm far from the best rider in the world so I try to continue to improve and I'm usually trying to make adjustments each time out. I think recording some of my rides helps me see where I can make improvements.

After further review and recalling that corner better, I think I have a better understanding of what might have happened. Another thing among others I didn't account for that run was that that corner has a dip and camber change. After the initial graze, I probably got distracted because I forgot the dip, camber change, and decreasing radius, started rolling on too early before the dip, hit the dip and camber change, knee bounced, I was heading for the guardrail, leaned further to avoid it, knee was planted and pulling me back, foot came off and didn't have leverage to countersteer back, tried to bodysteer, and downhill and uphill from there.
    Last edited by dave...; 06-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    First, I'm glad you're OK, and it sucks that wadded up your bike.

Now...

I won't deny I fucked up, went too fast for the corner,
    You're half right with that statement.

A buddy of mine let me ride his GSXR 600 (of similar vintage) a while back at the Jennings GP track. I know, for a fact, that the bike is capable of making the turn in your video at a much higher speed than you were traveling. The incident was result of incorrect control inputs, pure and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Yeah, a lot of things went wrong that run. I'm sure had I picked a better line, anticipated the camber change and decreasing radius, had more experience, etc, I could have made it. I was a little hesitant with track due to my past track day experience but I'm sure I'll get more into it now.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Most crashes are the sum of several smaller errors. I have no doubt you will get more out of a subsequent track school now.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."