Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Greetings all! Newbie looking for advice.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! phendric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Just to put that into perspective: a Mack truck can run over a Mazda. Your motorcycle can't clear the remnants of that Mazda the Mack spits out from behind.
    Well, our street bikes may not be able to, but I bet Trials would have no problem clearing debris like that.
    Current bike: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Previous bikes: 2000 Honda VFR800, 2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2001 Suzuki GS500

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At freeway speeds?
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bunny hop,
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    At freeway speeds?

Sure, haven't you watched Torque? Street bikes can jump a train, and bang wheels in a stoppie, and still ride away.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, I have never been bored enough to waste two hours of my life with that movie, let alone part with the $5 WalMart wants for it.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Given a need to clear a gap at highway speed, I know I can get a pretty amazing launch with my MV
    ! but at speed it takes space to do anything and tailgating takes away all the options, so don't tailgate !

Given a need to go over a Mazda ...is this Mazda stationary or is it still doing flips down the highway
    my Trials bike spends all her highway travel miles perched behind the cab of my F350 Dually, that should clear the sub-compact car debris field pretty good

Hello all! Long time no post. Time to update the diary...

I stopped riding 6 or so years ago when my DRZSM decided to break down. Since then, I got married, had kids, and gained a dad bod. A few weeks ago, my wife got tired of my whining and finally let me get a bike again.

So I thought, I loved riding the piss out of my GSXR600, a 1000 will surely be no big deal, right? So I made a quick decision knowing the window of opportunity my wife had just given me was likely to be a fleeting one and I bought a GSXS1000 without much of a second thought. Thankfully, I did practice a little bit at a nearby empty lot before heading home into rush hour.

First thoughts went something along the lines of "what did I get myself into?" and "why is something with so much power allowed on the street?" The hour long ride home from the dealership was tense. My arms tired out quickly from having a death grip on the bars and my throttle control was garbage. Also, every stop and turn was packed with fear of stalling. I let out a sigh of relief when I got home safely.

Due to poor weather and life (and maybe a little fear), I didn't take out the bike again until a couple weeks later. Second time around was much better thankfully as I didn't go into it with the same amount of fear, felt more natural, and I actually enjoyed it (although going around a cul-de-sac slowly was like riding a bucking bronco). Still, and this should come as no surprise on this forum, I definitely would not recommend getting a 1000 to a returning rider (note to self if I have to take another hiatus).

Wicked eh
    ... do you realize how much better a rider and how much better physical condition you would be in right now if you had taken to riding a crappy little dirt bike over the last 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Wicked eh
    ... do you realize how much better a rider and how much better physical condition you would be in right now if you had taken to riding a crappy little dirt bike over the last 6 years
    I tried but the wife wasn't having it. I'm hoping to get her a Grom one day though. I figure that way I can get her into riding or at least improve my own skills.

Or you could get a 250cc Trials bike which weighs 70 pounds lighter then your 125cc Grom, has a one finger clutch and a saddle that sits 4 inches lower, then you could both become stand up riders

Your lady doesn't sound like she is into it, might not be wise to force the issue because every time she crashes it will be your fault. Let it be her decision and it will be a lot easier on both of you.