Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is BBO what it should be?

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've only ever stuck around on one other internet forum, and even though I've been a member of that one longer, I find myself coming here to browse far more often. I can't say how many forums I've registered at, made a few posts on, and then found that the group just wasn't that into integrating new members. There are a couple others out there that I merely lurk on (like advrider - I'm not worthy). BBO has something really rare. I even had it set as my home page once (switched to google after the hacking incident and never switched back, but it remains either the first or second click I make when I want to waste time on the internet). Also, I will die if IT here at work ever catches on. If I had to get through even the busiest work day without at least clicking over here and reading the bar, it would be like when your childhood goldfish flopped out of his bowl and suffocated before you got home from school... except way more pathetic.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Over on another motorcycle board, they are struggling with a general malaise and lack of activity because only bike related topics are allowed. It's becoming an old folks home where not much discussion is going on. Over moderation and restrictive policies make it a pretty boring forum, and as a result people move on, poking in only if they have bike issues to research.

This place is different because we as real live humans have another life. We want to talk about our kids, our last vacation, and yes even LEPR. We do have other interests besides motorcycles (I know, blasphemy!)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Over on another motorcycle board, they are struggling with a general malaise and lack of activity because only bike related topics are allowed. It's becoming an old folks home where not much discussion is going on. Over moderation and restrictive policies make it a pretty boring forum, and as a result people move on, poking in only if they have bike issues to research.

This place is different because we as real live humans have another life. We want to talk about our kids, our last vacation, and yes even LEPR. We do have other interests besides motorcycles (I know, blasphemy!)
    Of course, the off-topic discussions tend to revolve around motorcycles at least some of the time. You can hang out exclusively in the bar and still get your fill of bike talk.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    BBO is fine, I said it before, let it be written.

We're fine

You're fine

Now, let's go eat ice cream and ride.

No, I'm serious, I really don't want to be working g...
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

I've not been around too much lately but it's not because of anything here. The peeps who keep this place up and running are doing an AMAZING job!

My reason for not being around as much is that a lot of my BBO buds are now my Facebook buds! and I LOVE THAT!! I reallyreallyreally do!! I get my BBO fix over there! I "see" my BBO peeps everyday, I get to talk to them everyday, we still discuss bike-related topics, but we also get to share real "life" stuff. I know I'm a little crazy and most people only put up with me because I'd go nutz on them if they ignored me, but I cannot express this enough.....--->***I really do appreciate having each and every one of my BBO friends as Facebook friends***<--- It has just brought us all so much closer and I enjoy it.

Not much more to add than that.

PS - if you're on Facebook and don't already hate me, add me up! ;D
    2008 Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom - "Fat Nasty"
    1982 Suzuki GS450L - "Chief Joseph"

+1 to everything that has been said. Terra and I are online all the time, visiting many sites (bike-related and not). This forum is one of the best-managed, populated by the nicest folks, and provides superior information and opinions to any motorcycle forum we've seen. I'm really interested in information and commentary, no flame wars, and actually meeting (and riding with) this community. Keep up the good work!
    2001 BMW F650 Dakar

In answer to the thread title:

Yup.

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Derick, I too am plagued with too much work, and not enough fun time, and certainly not enough riding. But don't give up on things you enjoy, like managing this place. Because when we stop doing things we enjoy, well.... it's just not good.

Dan, I too don't read as many threads. (And, HOW ARE YOU!!?? i was thinking about you & Vanessa the other day, hope you are both well.)

Diane - I miss the BaB a bit, but I especially miss the original BB.com... To me, there will never be anything to replace it (but then, I'll never look 25 again either, ha ha!)

Jo - HOW THE HECK DID I MISS YOUR RIDE REPORT AND PICTURES OF THE POTATO RALLY???

Uh, ok... back to topic...

To the newbies who come to the BBO, this IS their BB.com. What I do read, you can see the newbies' excitement about getting it right, and doing better, and you have to love the folks here that do have the patience to answer all the newbie questions. I don't have that in me right now, and I usually love to tell people what to do and how to do it.

And, as many people as I have met in person, I still know many more. For example, I'd be fine having Clair message me to say "hey, I'll be in your town, I'd like the spare bedroom". OK, well maybe not Clair, LOL...

No truly, he and I'd bet the majority of others who came to me through this forum would be welcome, it's that kind of place. It's like the six degrees of separation. So, we're not all connected to Kevin Bacon, but we are to each other somehow.

So, Do what you're doing. If you feel you're slacking off, no one notices, enjoy the break and the rest.

BBO - it's a good thing.

Gerry

And if anyone asks "what was BB.com?" it really doesn't matter, except it was something to some folks, and now there's newer and different and in many ways, better.
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    AHA! Here I am looking for pics of the potato ranch rally and can't find them, so I come back here to see Jo's post and realize that mz33 responded to last year's thread, and then so did I.

Anyway, I still hope Dan and Vanessa are well.
    I still think this place is the place to be for beginners, and Derick.... don't change anything.

OK, this thread over now.
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

I know this thread is old, but I would just suggest that the post on the home page that's over a year old be replaced with just a generic welcome message. It might look to a new visitor as though the site is not kept up and "current."
    Kath ~ '08 GSX650F
    MITGC #33

"The destination is simply an excuse for the ride." ~XC Rider, ADV