Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is BBO what it should be?

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    Things are Fine Derrick, you're doing great.

If we lean more toward the gospel then we the people can change. Nothing you or the site needs to do.

I don't see a need for change right now, with you or the site. Keep doing what you're doing.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

I think this place has a great mix of folks who are kindly and super friendly (like Tom and Teri and many others) and others that are a little more blunt ( like Dewayne and maybe me when I'm having a really bad day once in a great while but not often... ) and this diversity makes a good mix and actually makes this a better place. I'm a member of forums where there are no holds barred and people really sometimes kick the sh!t out of each other...and others that are so namby pamby that the most good natured ribbing is banned by the mod who thinks he's frikkin' do gooder internet cop when really he's just a pain in the anterior, one too spicy, the other too bland.

I think if there is a flaw is we have so much fun good natured ribbing and cheering friends we know well the newcomer may feel like a wall flower standing off in the corner. Maybe we all need to be reminded to be a little extra welcoming to the newcomer and that the new rider is bound to arrive here with concepts that are incorrect and that example is a far better persuader than derision.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Contributor 2000 Posts! Diane_N's Avatar
    Between the Catskill and Adirondack Mountains, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    I think this place has a great mix of folks ...
    I think if there is a flaw is we have so much fun good natured ribbing and cheering friends we know well the newcomer may feel like a wall flower standing off in the corner. Maybe we all need to be reminded to be a little extra welcoming to the newcomer and that the new rider is bound to arrive here with concepts that are incorrect and that example is a far better persuader than derision.

Now that BaB is dead, BBO is IT as an oasis for beginner/returning riders. Since many of us are now more than just internet contacts, and have actually met in the flesh and ridden together, it may have gotten a tad cliquish at times, but whenever questioning newbies posts up, we are still here for them, and if they stick around, they may end up on one of our rides and becoming a "veteran" like many "old timers" here who can no longer be considered "beginners", but are honestly dedicated to guiding new adherents to motorcycling to a safe, fun way of starting out in this avocation of ours. BBO is the survivor of beginner biking forums. It provides not only a service to new and aspiring riders, but also as a community of friends. Ya done good, Derick. Long live BBO.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/bikinbiddy/dsc01293-1.jpg

I think I'm coming up on three years soon. By far the longest I've ever participated in a forum!
    2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
    2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
    BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
    Quote Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    I think you've provided a pretty unique place here Derick. I also think both OBX and ASP have pretty much nailed it. Typically, if there is any bickering it's mostly good humored. There are even some of us who may "argue" on here fairly often, but when we're face to face we just hang out, laugh, and drink a few cold ones. The mods also usually do a good job of letting discussion continue while weeding out pointless flaming. Does it get out hand on occasion, sure. But that's what happen when you put a bunch of passionate people together.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Derick, I sure hope you don't want to step down. You've done a great job here, and it's always been a pleasure working with you. Although you've been mostly absent and busy lately, I've never once known you to not respond when anything important came up. I can't imagine anyone who could have or could continue to do as good a job as you have.

As for the rest of the question... I'm on listen mode. I want to hear what members have to say.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Lurking For The Next Bike 10,000 Posts! hqp921's Avatar
    I've been on this forum since just before my MSF BRC. If my, or any member's, activity can be related to the board as a whole, it comes in waves of activity and inactivity. Same may go for the sales and usage of motorcycles. Perhaps people are less apt to purchase a recreational vehicle, when the general feeling is that the economy is bad, and there aren't many jobs. Or, maybe the activity will pick up because people think they can save gas?

Overall, I think the forum is doing just fine, and there are enough active 'old' members to sort of self-regulate, if that makes sense.

Besides...with regards to posting activity: it's riding season, right? So people should be riding, not posting!

- HP

Contributor 10,000 Posts! lil_bear's Avatar
    Rochester, New York Winters Phoenix, AZrsk
    I love this place I call home.
    One small thing I see here which really is a big thing.
    Recently how many of the wonderful riders here who have become rider coaches in the last few years?
    Without this site, and all the people wanting to go on and help new riders enter this wonderful motorcycling world.
    We have an amazing place here and I feel its just fine.
    Have you hugged your bear today?
    Erna's Hope will live on in her memory
    http://ernashope.org/

Turn 4 at HPR is a pain in the neck. 1000 Posts! RedheadRider's Avatar
    Can't think of anything I would like to see change, I lurv BBO!
    Brian "El Pelirrojo"
    Current bike: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - it's Godzirra!!
    Previous bikes: 2001 Ninja 500 "Antie" / 1998 VFR800 Interceptor(s) - "La Sueña" - RIP 6/26/2011 and "Красная Комета" aka "La Sueña numero dos"
    Rider since April '07

"Do not cease to drink beer, to eat, to intoxicate thyself, to make love, and to celebrate the good days."
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it is called 'The Present'

Contributor We've stopped counting... MsPotatoPotatoHead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedheadRider View Post
    Can't think of anything I would like to see change, I lurv BBO!
    Now that you've changed your screen name, anyway.