Thread: Looking at a Vulcan 800 Classic, any advice?

Question Looking at a Vulcan 800 Classic, any advice?

Hey all,
    I'm looking to upgrade from my Suzuki Savage ls650 to a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I love my Savage, but I'm 6' 2" and weigh 2... darn much. Somebody told me last year I looked like Grape Ape riding my bike. That kinda hurt, although kinda funny too. I was thinking I looked more like a shriner. So, anyway I'm looking for something a little bigger. I found a great deal on a '05 Vulcan and the bike seems to fit very well. Those of you who remember me know that I just started riding last year, so I'm wondering. Is this upgrade too soon? Is the Kawasaki a dependable ride? Any advice would be appreciated.

Swamilon

dalan
    Vulcan 800 Classic is a terrific bike. My wife's said that if she ever moves up from her Vulcan 500, that'll be it.

how many miles do you have on your Savage? You totally comfortable handling it? I don't think a Vulcan 800 is at all an unreasonable step-up from a Savage. Much more power (Vulcan 800 is a pretty darn quick bike), but not an unmanageable amount of power. If you're a big guy, I can't imagine you'd have any trouble handling the size/weight of the Vulcan. That bike feels a heck of lot lighter than my Volusia (my first bike).

The Vulcan 800 Classic gets excellent reviews, and is often rated right behind the Volusia on comparison tests. You can find some comparison reviews at www.motorcyclecruiser.com. There are some rabid Vulcan 800 fans around here too.

Personally, I went with the Volusia because of shaft vs. chain. The '05 Volusia (C50) is fuel injected too. I'm not dogging the Kawasaki, just saying check out the Suzukis before making a final decision.

Best Wishes,
    Bob

MtnMan
    I have the Vulcan 1600 classic and I love it, but it is a different bike than the 800 so I really cant give advice. Here is a link tho to a vulcan site with tons of info on many Vulcan models.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

xcorider
    Hi! I have an 800 Vulcan Drifter. I love the big fenders. But if I were to change, the classic would be it!

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I ride the VN750 ... I can say that the Vulcan family is a good family of bikes. It's not going to be much of a change for you, other than perhaps a little more weight and some extra power. So you should feel comfy on it very quickly. If you like the bike, if it feels good ... and if you can ride it, if they'll let you ... then go for it.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

Rider since June '03 ... Bikes: '11 Triumph Tiger 800XC ... '09 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided
    * Electrons have Mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

Quote Originally Posted by Swamilon
    Hey all,
    I'm looking to upgrade from my Suzuki Savage ls650 to a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. I love my Savage, but I'm 6' 2" and weigh 2... darn much. Somebody told me last year I looked like Grape Ape riding my bike. That kinda hurt, although kinda funny too. I was thinking I looked more like a shriner. So, anyway I'm looking for something a little bigger. I found a great deal on a '05 Vulcan and the bike seems to fit very well. Those of you who remember me know that I just started riding last year, so I'm wondering. Is this upgrade too soon? Is the Kawasaki a dependable ride? Any advice would be appreciated.

Swamilon

Swam,
    This is exactly what I did!!! I bought a 2002 Savage used in July of 2003. Loved it as a starter bike, but found it light for highway riding. Rode it a year (about 2000 miles) and sold it July 2004 for $200 less that I paid for it. I had been looking at a number of bikes in the 750-800cc size and settled on a new 2004 Vulcan 800 Classic. Though the Volusia is a real nice bike, and I would have prefered not having to deal with the little bit of chain maintance (especially after the belt on the Savage), I thought the Volusia felt overly big/ bulky and heavy compared to the Vulcan. I felt most comfortable on the Vulcan, it felt lighter and more "tossable" than the Volusia, and I could buy it for about $600 less than the Volusia and the dealer was a real nice practical guy who was real patient with me when I was looking, ( I must have gone in and asked him questions 10 times beore I bought).

Between July and October when I put her away for the winter I put on about 1300 miles and she's been everything I expected. I actually think she rides better now than she did when I first got her. Maybe it's my comfort and knowledge level increasing or maybe it's the result of the first service at 750 miles. Either way, I have really enjoyed the extra power and weight. I have ridden on the highway a number of times and feel completely comfortable. I also think it has the best standard seat of any bike in this class size. The Savage seat was unbearable after an hour of riding.

I don't think with a little care getting used to the extra power and weight you'll have any problems moving up. Just remember to do a fair bit of parking lot practice to get used to how she handles, accelerates and most importantly how she brakes. All of this is different than the Savage.

Good luck and have fun.
    Less
    "Spring will be here soon........"
    2009 FZ6
    2004 Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
    2002 Savage (sold)