Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil change interval for Honda Rebel 250?

Question Oil change interval for Honda Rebel 250?

I tried the search function and scrolled through several pages without success.

I am a newbie rider with my first bike, a 2001 Honda Rebel 250 that has 19k miles on it. I've ordered an owner's manual and will be ordering a Clymer's manual. But I would like to know what most folks consider a good interval for oil changes. The oil was changed by the previous owner last fall and the bike was not ridden even 100 miles since. The oil is clean enough it is hard to see on the dip-stick.

Thanks,
    "Like a rich armour worn in heat of day that scalds with safety..." ATGATT.

"If you can park it and not turn around to admire it every time you walk away, you bought the wrong bike."

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Without checking the manual... I'd go with every 3K miles or every year whichever comes first.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Just checked the manual... it says every 4K miles.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Thanks for looking that up.

BTW; Does this bike have an oil filter?
    Last edited by SMLE; 03-28-2010 at 11:34 AM.

"If you can park it and not turn around to admire it every time you walk away, you bought the wrong bike."

I believe it just has an oil screen that the manual recommends cleaning every other oil change.

Tom

What the manual on a Rebel says and what might be ideal are two different things; when I had mine I had several people recommend I change the oil every 1000-1500 miles, simply because it does not have an oil filter. Without that filter, you have to figure you're eventually bathing the clutch in dirty oil; an oil change is a cheap way to avoid the shifting problems that can come with it. YMMV

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    Even though there is only 100 miles on the bike since the last change, I would dump it anyway and pull the internal filter. 1. Sounds like bike sat all winter, combined with 100 miles probably "tons" of water in oil from condensation. 2.you really have no idea if oil change was done. 3. Cleaning filter for same reason, lot's of folks skip internal filters due to the hassle, it may never have been changed. Once changed, follow MOM or minimum of once a year. If only doing yearly I would always pull the filter and clean/replace.
    God is Great, Beer is good, people are crazy.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! monty's Avatar
    On the rebel I had I changed the oil every 1500 miles I think the recommend was around 3 or 4k. The rebel doesn't have a filter and it only took less than 2 quarts of 30wt so a oil change was around $5 and 5 minutes.
    P.S don't put in the energy conserving kind with the friction modifiers it will screw up your clutch.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! azpenguin's Avatar
    On the Nighthawk, I go with every 3k. (Same engine.) I've found that Honda GN4 has worked the best. It's their garden variety Dino oil, and it'll run you about four bucks a quart. You need two quarts. The GN4 has been the smoothest shifting oil I've used in the bike, and at eight bucks every 3000 miles, it's not horribly expensive.

When you pick up the oil, ask the people at the parts counter for a new crush washer. It's about 75 cents. Change this washer every other oil change.

When you drain the oil, find the plastic tube behind the engine; it should be hanging down between the swingarm. Pull the plug on that and let it drain into the oil pan. It's going to be a watery oily concoction; this is the stuff venting from the PCV valve. Don't forget to put the plug back on.

About that filter - I didn't check mine until 15k, and it was clean and clear. It's a pain to get to, and it involves getting a side cover gasket that you have to order; most dealerships don't carry it. The filter is on the right side of the bike. Don't obsess too much over it; if you want, check it at your next change and clean if needed. You should be good to go after that.

I recommend that you do not run synthetic in this engine. The one issue I had with the bike, a blown starter clutch seal, happened when I was running synthetic. The engine also seemed like it was filling the PCV drain tube much quicker, and it was seeping at some places such as the filler cap. Since I went back to dino oil, I haven't had any of those issues return. Synthetic works great in a lot of bikes - this is not one of them.

There are two maintenance items that I've found to be important. First is that the spark plugs should be changed every 8k. Get the plugs at the dealer to be sure you've got the right ones, and it should run you about five bucks. Next, the air filter needs to be changed every 8k. If you skimp on this, you'll lose power and gas mileage pretty quickly after the 8k mark.

The thing you'll love about this engine is that it's really, really easy to maintain.
    '02 Shadow ACE 750 - "Fats"
    '01 Nighthawk 250 - "Piglet"
    46,000 miles since October '03

Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    So, I'm obviously incorrect.

Thanks for all the info. I changed the oil this past Saturday. What came out looked pretty good actually. Used GN4 to refill. Will plan on doing the screen and a new crush washer next oil change. I just ordered an Honda service manual from Helm. I've had to do some "catch up" maintenance on the bike. A new drive chain and sprockets because previous owners apparently didn't grok chain lube. A new front tire and a shifter pedal as well. Tire was just one of those things you have to replace. Shifter was worn and wobbling on the pivot pin. After Saturday's PM work, I rode from Albuquerque up to Madrid NM on Sunday. Little bike runs like a dream.