Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to Expect from a Beginners Course (The Novella)

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    I guess to explain the distinction I make, and I don't mean to argue, just explaining my opinion. Noone needs to agree with it.

I think it's better to go into the class expecting primarily to learn some things about riding a motorcycle and to consider a waiver for the state road and/or written test as a bonus you may or may not get.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    I think it's better to go into the class expecting primarily to learn some things about riding a motorcycle and to consider a waiver for the state road and/or written test as a bonus you may or may not get.

Tom
    I think this is important to note. I went into the class knowing this, but someone else was extremely upset that he did not pass the class. Watching this person ride, I am glad he did not pass. My friend who passed the class got her motorcycle endorsement, but hasn't touched a bike (pedal or motorcycle) since the class. She knows that while she is legal, she needs training before she decides to buy and ride any motorcycle out there. Despite many warnings in every class, there almost needs to be a warning in 96 point type that says you are not guaranteed to pass the class and get a license.

Quote Originally Posted by ds5160 View Post
    I think this is important to note. I went into the class knowing this, but someone else was extremely upset that he did not pass the class. Watching this person ride, I am glad he did not pass. My friend who passed the class got her motorcycle endorsement, but hasn't touched a bike (pedal or motorcycle) since the class. She knows that while she is legal, she needs training before she decides to buy and ride any motorcycle out there. Despite many warnings in every class, there almost needs to be a warning in 96 point type that says you are not guaranteed to pass the class and get a license.
    From the author's mind: THIS was the intent. Many, many folks figure they'll take the class, pay the dough, BREATHE, and get endorsed. Anyone entering a class should be shockingly aware that they aren't guaranteed success.
    Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://motorcycleslifeandeverything.wordpress.com

www.howzitdonecrash.com

Minnesota is another state that, from what my riding friends have told me, allows you to take your BRC certificate down to the DMV and get your motorctycle endorsement right then and there.

This is great. Thanks for posting it. Having not taken my class yet, it's always nice to know a little more detail as to what I might encounter there.
    ~Grahame

Darwin: "I have never failed to get a smile on my face when throwing a leg over a bike, no matter which bike it is. "

The Moto Diaries

1978 Honda CX500

Flirting With The Redline Wanderlust's Avatar
    I'm taking the class (again) next weekend. I already have my M endorsement from when I took the class in Hawaii in 2001. I haven't really ridden on the street since I moved in 2002; so I could, conceivably, fail the course and still walk away with my license :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    Minnesota is another state that, from what my riding friends have told me, allows you to take your BRC certificate down to the DMV and get your motorctycle endorsement right then and there.
    This is only valid if you have already gotten your learner's permit before attending your class. The BRC instructors in Minnesota are also licensed by the state as 3rd party examiners. Passing the BRC riding test at the end of the course is directly equivalent to taking the riding test at the DMV....according to the state.
    Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
    '09 Kawi Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

I 'll be bummed if I fail this weekend but I'd keep going back every weekend until I mastered the class enough to pass. When I was a kid my neighbor had a bunch of scooters and ever since then I have wanted to ride again. I already bought a 250CC bike to ride and can't wait to start riding it.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    bmet - relax. Listen to what they tell you, and just try things. You may be surprised at how you progress in class. Good luck!
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... twizted1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncgal_in_mo View Post
    bmet - relax. Listen to what they tell you, and just try things. You may be surprised at how you progress in class. Good luck!
    This...and HAVE FUN!

I've noticed that students in my BRC's learn much better when they relax, don't try to over analyze everything & most importantly HAVE FUN!
    Rain or Shine 8 - May 20-22, 2016 - Monterey, TN

No matter what goes to hell, always rise from the ashes, stronger.

I tried to relax today but I felt like extremely nervous every single time I rode the bike. Tomorrow is test day. I honestly don't know if I will pass or not. My riding skills aren't great to put it mildly.