Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to Expect from a Beginners Course (The Novella)

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKing View Post
    Same as Tennessee where I took my BRC.

Great write up, Crash!
    Thanks! I'd make a "in Tennessee..." joke but LDS is around somewhere...
    Author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"

http://motorcycleslifeandeverything.wordpress.com

www.howzitdonecrash.com

Contributor 1000 Posts! HappyPuppy's Avatar
    Good stuff Crash. ID has STAR and it is far better than the most. I think you hit on the head, it is low speed "how does this work?" class. To think you are ready for a SB and the twisties is nuts

Might want to add that the course goes on, rain or shine. My daughter was smart enough to ask to borrow my Frogg Toggs for today, where she (successfully) rode her evaluation in the rain.
    John
    2009 Suzuki GS500F "Black Magic"
    2004 Vespa ET4 "Chile Rey"
    2009 Suzuki TU250X "Red Menace"
    2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Uma-chan" RIP
    http://www.scootercat.net

Quote Originally Posted by wolfram View Post
    Yay Crash!...One thing I would add is that in some states (CO is one), passing the BRC and getting the certificate WILL get you the motorcycle endorsement for your driver's license. You just take the cert, go to the DMV, pay up, and they will issue you a new license with the endorsement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnKing View Post
    Same as Tennessee where I took my BRC.
    Massachusetts as well, except you go to the RMV, get your permit, and pay for the new license in advance. Then when you pass the BRC, the school sends in your paperwork and the RMV sends you the new license.
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Certainly true in a lot of places... but that wasn't the intent or what the course was designed to do.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Certainly true in a lot of places... but that wasn't the intent or what the course was designed to do.

Tom
    With respect... so? It's still what happens. The name of the thread is "What to Expect..." -- in a lot of places you can expect to get an endorsement on your license. Whether or not that was the original intent is largely irrelevant.
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    No problem... I just think it's an important distinction.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    No problem... I just think it's an important distinction.

Tom
    Well, an important point, certainly. I'm not sure there's a distinction to be made... but there I go being pedantic again.
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Tasha, the only distinction I can see is that the license waiver (in states that offer it) isn't guaranteed just by taking the course. You have to successfully pass the examinations before you get the completion card. Some students come into it only with the license waiver in mind, thinking it'll be a shoo-in, especially if they already have experience. Sometimes that totally bites them in the butt if they rack up enough points to fail the range portion.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Quote Originally Posted by ncgal_in_mo View Post
    Tasha, the only distinction I can see is that the license waiver (in states that offer it) isn't guaranteed just by taking the course. You have to successfully pass the examinations before you get the completion card. Some students come into it only with the license waiver in mind, thinking it'll be a shoo-in, especially if they already have experience. Sometimes that totally bites them in the butt if they rack up enough points to fail the range portion.
    I did say that if you pass the course, you will get your endorsement with no further visits to the DMV necessary (passing the course = not just attending but passing the evals). I said all that was needed to make that clear, but there is still no distinction to be made between that and what Tom says the course is designed and originally intended to do.

I think the problem with my pedantry is that people are confusing distinctions with additional data points. Distinctions must be related; data points are not. When you're talking about what to expect, "an endorsement after passing" is something I can reasonably expect in Massachusetts. "That's not the original intent" has nothing to do with expectations, and is really only a data point in the evolution of the BRC.
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305