Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starter bike for a big guy

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Tyee's Avatar
    I would check to see how it runs with the gas cap slightly open, while the bike is parked. Air is supposed to be able to get into the gas tank through the gas cap. If it is plugged up, no air gets in, and the vacuum increases in the tank and eventually no gas can get to the motor.

Hotcha Kabotcha!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyee View Post
    I would check to see how it runs with the gas cap slightly open, while the bike is parked. Air is supposed to be able to get into the gas tank through the gas cap. If it is plugged up, no air gets in, and the vacuum increases in the tank and eventually no gas can get to the motor.
    This is the first, cheapest thing to do - start there. Worry about taking lines and petcocks off once you do this step. You may actually need to ride around a little bit with the cap un-sealed since idling may not be enough to cause the issue - be careful if you do this!

The 1999-2005 Ducati Supersports actually had this problem so badly that when the fuel tank vent got clogged, the entire tank would implode rather than the bike just stalling! Being Ducatis, they were not inexpensive items to replace!
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

ok, this morning i went outside and warmed her up for a bit. when she's warm, she usually idles around 1200 rpm but today she was just below the 1k mark.

after she warmed up, i got on and was going to ride around my neighborhood really quickly to see if the sputtering was still there and now, everytime i shift from Neutral to First, the bike dies.

i also opened the gas cap to let some air in and i didn't hear a psssshh sound or anything.

got it runnin and rode it around the neighborhood and she died on me again. so i called a mechanic and they can pick it up monday.

Flirting With The Redline mrb42's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflo View Post
    Test sit a KLR650. If Big and Tall sold a motorcycle, it would be a KLR.
    Or a Versys...
    -Mark

Ride SMART!

Quote Originally Posted by prester_john;
    Your first bike is a lot less about boat floating and a lot more about decreasing the odds you'll wind up memorialized with a little roadside flower arrangement.