Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starter bike for a big guy

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by christhisguy View Post

There's no need to fear, christhisguy is here!

There's another version of that ancient thread posted here ...but I have to say the "improved" format over on the about.com forums is dreadful. Good luck with the navigation.

Yeah I know, I gotta post that here eventually, maybe even <gasp> take some new photos...
    As a long legged 6'1 guy, I applaud you for the pictures. When I was looking for a first bike, I knew the 250-650cc cruisers just didn't feel right; seeing your pics made it perfectly clear why! The 250r was a tad cramped for longer rides, and feels more cramped now that I've gotten used to a taller bike with a custom raised seat, but I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to recommend one to someone starting out.
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

thanks for the help everyone i ended up getting the 2005 gs500f for $2,650 (50 off because he didn't realize the tags were outdated). I rode it around my neighborhood for awhile and man this bike is incredible. it doesn't have too much power and it is extremely easy to shift (although i only upshifted to 2nd gear and downshifted to 1st).

only thing i noticed was the rear brake squeeks when i apply the brake. he also mentioned that i will prolly need an oil change after a few rides.

Can anyone help me with the basic tools i would need to work on this bike? i want to adjust the clutch because he lowered it and it just doesn't feel right to me.

Thanks again everyone!

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    Best thing you can do is get a factory service manual for your bike, in fact it's old enough I'll bet there's a PDF online you can download. I'm enough of a nuts and bolts geek I actually sit around reading mine.

Odds are he just loosened the clutch cable to let the lever down some, adjusting it to spec will bring it when it should be. If there's a dial on top of the lever with numbers then that's strictly a lever adjustment but I don't think your bike has those.

The rear brake probably just needs some use, rust and dust conspire to make lots of noise. A little time sould clear that up, also make sure that the pads are in good shape.

For tools one of those $150-200 tool sets from Craftsman should be more than you'll need especially starting out. All depends on how much service you want to do.

Congrats! Where's our pics of the new steed?
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase!!!!

Squeaky brakes on some bikes are perfectly normal. As long as the brake doesn't grab or freeze, and as long as there's enough brake pad material there, you likely don't have a whole lot to worry about.

Basic tools are going to be almost entirely metric.
    - Set of good box-end wrenches
    - A good 3/8" and 1/4" ratchet with metric sockets
    - A good flex bar (16" if you can find one) with accompanying sockets for the biggest bolts on the bike (usually 17 or 21mm)
    - A comprehensive set of feeler gauges (for doing valve adjustments)
    - A Suzuki valve-bucket depressing tool (also for doing valve adjustments)
    - Spark plug gap tool
    - A multimeter (never, ever underestimate the usefulness of these!)

Beyond that, everything else is gravy. Front and rear stands never hurt to have, especially universal ones you can use on other bikes in the future. And remember, valve adjustments on the GS are a relatively frequent 4500 miles. Luckily, it's a very easy process that can be accomplished by even novice garage techs.
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

Turn 4 at HPR is a pain in the neck. 1000 Posts! RedheadRider's Avatar
    TTIWWP. Just sayin'. Congrats!
    Brian "El Pelirrojo"
    Current bike: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - it's Godzirra!!
    Previous bikes: 2001 Ninja 500 "Antie" / 1998 VFR800 Interceptor(s) - "La Sueña" - RIP 6/26/2011 and "Красная Комета" aka "La Sueña numero dos"
    Rider since April '07

"Do not cease to drink beer, to eat, to intoxicate thyself, to make love, and to celebrate the good days."
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it is called 'The Present'

Quote Originally Posted by beveritt View Post
    TTIWWP. Just sayin'. Congrats!
    haha here are links to two pic's i've taken so far, i'll get some more.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...500f/bike2.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...s500f/bike.jpg

p.s. i need to read the rules but are we allowed to insert pic's into our post or can we only post links to pics? i'm assuming we can but i'll only post a link to be on the safe side.

p.s.s. i'm sorry for the horrible quality in the pics, i had to use my cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigred1012 View Post
    p.s. i need to read the rules but are we allowed to insert pic's into our post or can we only post links to pics? i'm assuming we can but i'll only post a link to be on the safe side.

p.s.s. i'm sorry for the horrible quality in the pics, i had to use my cell phone.
    Oh, you are SO VERY MUCH allowed to post pics! It's not just allowed, it's encouraged! (Try not to let them get too big, though. I hate side scrolling.)
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

well i know i haven't said anything in this post in awhile but tonight, while riding on the highway, there was sputtering and my bike died, so i thought i was out of gas. i flipped the reserve fuel switch and road to the YMCA and checked to see if i was out of gas. well turns out i wasn't anywhere near out of gas.

so i was just wondering wth was going on. my dumb ass never checked the oil tank and went back on the highway and once again died. Well i now assumed i was out of oil and called up a buddy to see if he could take me to target to get some.

we get there and buy 2 quarts of 10w-40 motor oil and drive back to my bike on the shoulder. I shine his flashlight in my oil tank and what do ya know it, it is completely empty. we filled her up and started it back up.

we let her warm up for a few minutes and eventually i got back on and started to ride off. well didn't make it far, same sputtering noise and before. well it died again and after a minute of it being dead i could start her up again. and once again, rode for a hundred feet or so and dead again. This happened maybe 15 times because of course i was 20 min from home and i didn't have a trailer to tow it.

so now i am left with a bike that won't even go a hundred feet without sputtering and dieing.

any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Uhh, if you ran the bike completely empty of oil, you'd probably be in for pretty bad news.

- Shot lower-end bearings.
    - Shot cam journals
    - Scored cams
    - Scored cylinder walls and ruined piston rings...

That's not to say that being that low on oil totally destroyed the engine in this case, though, because we can't tell from shining a flashlight into anywhere on that engine that it was totally out of oil. But if it was out of oil, I can almost guarantee you'd need an engine rebuild, and if this were the case, you wouldn't be getting very far at all right now. You'd hear a lot of very alarming clunking and knocking noises when you first start the bike.

What it sounds like you have is a fueling issue. Either the tank isn't venting properly and suction is causing fuel to not flow into the carburetors (had this happen while test-riding a friend's CB350F), or there's a blockage in the fuel petcock, fuel lines, or the carburetors themselves that's keeping fuel from getting to the engine.
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

thanks for the quick response.

I didn't hear any of those alarming noises you mentioned, it was just basically sputtering. maybe it was just a coincidence i was low on oil the day this happened, maybe not, i dont know.

But is it sort of easy fixing the blockage in either the fuel petcock, fuel lines, or carburetors? i have the tools, just not the manual.

i am really hoping i didn't completely destroy my engine. i tell ya though, i definitely learned a lesson, check the oil and do a routine check everytime you ride or every couple of days.