Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law about parking on sidewalk/in front of business's?

cocktailmunky

Law about parking on sidewalk/in front of business's?

I live in Florida and I see a fairly often occurrence of motorcycles parking on business sidewalks or the sidewalk in front of a business. Like a frequent thing is some motorcycles/sportbikes parking near the box office of a movie theatre if the theatre has a large/long front promenade.

Is this allowed or legal? I looked all over the Florida Motorcycle Law handbook and couldn't find anything to reference to/from.

Just asking because I would love to park up there but at the same time I don't want to catch an asshole cop one day who has me towed when he's doing a parking lot cruise.

Unless an area specifically states that parking is allowed, it is best to assume it is not a legal parking area.
    Legally motorcycles should follow the same parking laws as other vehicles, unless otherwise posted.

Event: 2014 Deal@DealsGap
    When: Oct. 3 - 6
    Where: Tellico Plains, TN

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Paduan's Avatar
    Depends on whether the area in question is public or private property.

Movie parking lots are generally privately owned.
    The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets.

2005 Goldwing GL1800 - Arctic Camo

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Logan's Avatar
    Depends on local laws and customs

You pay your money and take your chances
    2004 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring,
    2001 BMW F650GSa,

Past Rides: 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, 1974 Honda CB450, 1966 Yamaha 305, 1971 Honda CL100

cocktailmunky
    yeah I was told by a few people to just ask Property/Store/Location Managers if it's ok. Because I know the Theatre here in Ocala has motorcycles parked on it's sidewalk up by the theatre doors all the time. I'm going to ask some LEO's here locally and see what they say.

RiderCoach 6000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Parking laws are some of the most difficult to deal with. I'll ask students when we're covering parking the bike, "How many bikes can you park in a single parking spot?" The answer is... "It depends!"

Within 40 miles of my house, the rules vary from "as many as you can fit" to exactly ONE, parked parallel to the curb. And the only way to know the difference is to talk to the person who has the ticket book.
    Jeff

"There is much that can be said for quickly and efficiently traveling between two points, but, since it has nothing to do with motorcycling, we will ignore that topic."

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Try, assess, adjust, repeat. That's how kids learn through playing. Adults can learn that way, too, once we get over the the idea that doing something incorrectly makes us look stupid. Failure isn't an option in learning... it's a requirement." - me, a while ago.

'10 ZG-1400 (大きな速いバイク)
    '13 XT250

I'd assume it varies state by state, but in Texas, it seems like it's up to the building owners/management. I work for a bank, and I park my bike on the side of it all the time, and cops come by all the time. No one has said anything.

But, with that being said, I park it out of the way, as to not obstruct anyone, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't do anything to prevent a wheelchair from passing by (although in that particular spot, a passing by wheelchair would just have to turn around anyway, or risk hitting a wall....).

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Tyee's Avatar
    Cities usually have regulations about what can be on a sidewalk at a business, no matter what the business owner would be OK with. You have a zillion laws helping disabled people who need for space enough on a sidewalk to turn around, to pass by another person in a wheelchair. Fire departments need access to businesses in case of medical and fire emergencies. I park only where other vehicles are allowed to park, or in specific motorcycle designated places.

Hotcha Kabotcha!

RiderCoach 3000 Posts! Prof._HH's Avatar
    Keep in mind too, whatever the legality, where your bike can be an invitation to mess with it. Lots of people walk by those bikes on the sidewalk. The big thing around here is the squids on super sports parking them on the sidewalks downtown around the clubs. How many drunks stumble by those things - piss in the helmets, sit on them, trip over the front wheels ....

I've come out to my bike to find a kid sitting on it - with his dad standing next to him. If the kid hadn't been there, he would have had a helmet indention across his forehead. Instead we had a "little chat" about other's personal property.
    My boss said to dress for the job I want, not the one I have.

Now, I'm waiting for my meeting with H.R. about my blue tights and cape.
    FML

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Legally? Sidewalks are NEVER a legal parking area for motorized vehicles.
    Is it enforced? On private property usually not, unless the business owner complains.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650