Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leathers vs Carhartt's

BBO Communications Liaison 5000 Posts! RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
    I've been giving some thought to a set of carhartt farmer johns for riding purposes. In general, I think that overalls might be a good motorcycle pant design. Stick with me, here's what I'm thinking:

Problems with normal pants:
    1.) Air leak - winter riders know this one and hate it as much as I do. This is why the crotch gaiter came into existence.
    2.) Skin leak - Jacket rides up in a crash exposing skin to cheese-grater pavement. Ouch.
    3.) Midsection material bunching - this is where the material of jacket, pants, belt, and layers all interact to create a gut-dig-inning ring of inflexible layered fabric. Having a belly makes this worse.

Problems with one-pieces:
    1.) Only good for riding - Want to eat lunch? Want to hang around camp? You're either gonna walk around with the upper body of the suit hanging and knocking people's plates down, or you're gonna have to wear another pair of pants underneath.
    2.) GOTTA GO - Oh my god, oh, oh, oh christ why won't this zipper move sonofbitch ugh hurry hurry... you get the idea.

Overalls seems like they'd solve Pants 1 and 2 and mitigate 3 (no belt), as well as eliminate suit 1.

Notionally, I'm thinking if I took a pair of Carhartt overalls and added some hip and knee armor, that'd be a good start. They'd breathe better than leather or textile and could be very easily cleaned. They'd be about as waterproof as mesh, of course, but that's what rain gear is for.

Bonus: blend right in at diners.
    -RMRR
    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! terraunbound's Avatar
    Below the tundra, above the smog, near Nederland, CO
    Blog Entries
    A few other companies make double front / heavy-duty jeans also known as logger jeans: Duluth Trading; Diamond Gusset (kevlar not double front)... a few others like Big Bill and Key I've only seen ads for. I still prefer to have some armor so I like my lined First Gear pants...
    photos and blog
    2013 BMW F700 GS
    ~sold~2001 F650 GSa, SYM HD200

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wear Carhartt double front canvas pants, they are as good or better than most MC specific riding jeans. I stuffed some knee armor in the knee area and voila, riding pants! The bonus is that the black, tan, or sage colored ones blend in at work without looking like blue jeans.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by terraunbound View Post
    A few other companies make double front / heavy-duty jeans also known as logger jeans: Duluth Trading; Diamond Gusset (kevlar not double front)... a few others like Big Bill and Key I've only seen ads for. I still prefer to have some armor so I like my lined First Gear pants...
    They don't come big enough for my hips while still being short enough for my legs. Diamond Gusset doesn't make women's Kevlar jeans at all. At least I can afford a pair of Carhartt's while I save up for a pair of custom Motoport pants.
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    I think they're great for warmth.

But abrasion resistance?

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    I think they're great for warmth.

But abrasion resistance?

Tom
    12oz canvas is better than the 6-8oz denim in most jeans. It's a continuum, not an absolute.
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

BBO Communications Liaison 5000 Posts! RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashabear View Post
    12oz canvas is better than the 6-8oz denim in most jeans. It's a continuum, not an absolute.
    This. The Local maniacs here in SLC have tested them in get-offs and found them about as good as Draggin' jeans or similar. I recognize they'll never be as safe as proper riding pants, but as Tasha says, better than the oh-so-tempting-at-times jeans.
    -RMRR
    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Flirting With The Redline keithb's Avatar
    I wear heavy canvas Carhartt double-front pants with leg armor under them for most of my riding. I also wear them most days because they're comfy, super-durable, and stylish (well, I think so anyway)
    '74 Harley Sportster

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashabear View Post
    Granted! I've often said that myself!

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    I have a couple sets of carhartt overall/jacket combos. One I use for outdoor work, etc. The other is a set of the Carhartt Artic Quilt that gets a couple of coats of silicone water repellent every year that only get used on the bikes. There great for keeping warm. I do tend to wear layers underneath.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R

Previous Bikes
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various