Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Facebook and MySpace???

Benefits of Facebook and MySpace???

What if any are the real/potential benefits of being on Facebook, MySpace or other general social media out there. It is my impression you just get inundated with more junk and useless spam even if there is a way to supposedly block it. Just thought there would be some interesting opinions here. Chances of swaying my impression are low at this point. Thanks in advance.
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 13,900 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

"A gentleman is someone that knows how to play a banjo, but doesn't"

MySpace isn't even on my radar, Facebook is only marginally less annoying, and LiveJournal, as far as I'm concerned, is easiest to use, most robust, covers just about all my interests, and doesn't spam me or my address book.
    2004 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 -- Boudicca
    2002 Suzuki GZ250 -- Friday (sold)
    1987 Kawasaki KZ305
    I am Moto Crew at the Boston Avon Walk for Breast Cancer -- you wish you could have this much fun! Join us!

SKnight is allowed to call me mean. All others... at your peril.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! Logan's Avatar
    I belong to LinkedIn.

No spam and it alllows you to form a network of professional networks.
    2004 Moto Guzzi California EV Touring,
    2001 BMW F650GSa,

Past Rides: 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000, 1974 Honda CB450, 1966 Yamaha 305, 1971 Honda CL100

Quote Originally Posted by Tashabear View Post
    MySpace isn't even on my radar, Facebook is only marginally less annoying, and LiveJournal, as far as I'm concerned, is easiest to use, most robust, covers just about all my interests, and doesn't spam me or my address book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I belong to LinkedIn.
    No spam and it alllows you to form a network of professional networks.
    As you can tell I am way behind the curve when it comes to these sort of sites. Need to at least get acquainted with a couple of the newer ones. Thanks for the feed back.
    Richard rider-77!
    Yamaha 2012 Road Star Silverado "S" with 13,900 miles SOLD the 2009 with 75,000 miles

President [for life] Wrinkle Riders. Member Sons of Angioplasty. Fringe member of a Splinter Group. The Ride is the Destination.

"A gentleman is someone that knows how to play a banjo, but doesn't"

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! monty's Avatar
    All I know about facebook is my it makes my wife scream and cuss at the computer. I guess our dialup or computer ain't up to the task LOL!!!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! SxyVxn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    lets see, myspace I met my longest relationship boyfriend who I am now still friends with.
    Both are great for networking or keeping in touch with those people from your past (like school).

I am more active on friendsthatride.com (a motorcycle enthusiast social network) and another social networking site than I am on either of those.
    M.I.T.G.C. #46
    Reading any of my posts may be hazardous to your morals. Don't mind me, I'm just pervy
    "Ass shaker" of 2010 PRR
    Purple sheep/Perv of 2011 PRR

I have a Facebook account. I don't get any spam or unwanted emails...that I know of. Quite a few of my friends live in other states across the nation so it's nice to keep up with them. I hate talking on the phone and I'm really bad at staying current by email. And a friend of mine in VA keep bugging me to sign up. Yes, I gave in to peer pressure.

I created a MySpace account for a day just to get in touch with my half-brother's daughter on behalf of my mom. My mom was forced to miss 16+ years of her son's life, I thought she deserved to know her only grandchild. I don't and won't have children so I stepped in to do what my half-brother should have done. I deleted the account as soon as I sent a private message to her.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    More or less the same as the benefits of being on BBO, particularly the lounge, I'd say. Keep in touch with others with similar interests who are not local.

I use it to share pictures with family, keep in touch with old friends, friends who have moved away (always on the move in the Military). Share links, discuss topics of interest, chat (it has a very useful chat service, which for most of my purposes, has replaced AIM, ICQ, YahooChat, etc.)

Myspace seems to have a much more working class, blue-collar following, with Linked-in as more an upper-middle class tool for professional links, and Facebook bridging the gap. Facebook is the most common tool among most of my friends and family.
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    I have a Facebook account. It allows me to be social when I want to be without going anywhere. I've reconnected with a couple HS pals and we'll be having lunch or dinner together for the first time in over 30 years when I head back to NC in March.

I only get notifications when folks comment to one of my posts, or comments to a post I've commented on. I think you can change setting if you want to. All the games that folks will post about I've got hidden. it's made it much less annoying for me. You can friend who you want to, and unfriend them if you want. You can visit as much or as little as you want. It's a lifeline for some folks, others barely visit and don't "get it". My step-son, who is not social at all in real life, doesn't see the point of it.

You are the steward of your information and you control how much of it is listed and shared. I suspect you'll eventually join but then lose interest. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What? Doesn't everyone want Mafia War and Farmville?

Linkedin for professional networking
    Facebook for my personal life
    BBO for y'all here
    Cosportbikeclub for the local hooligans

I really need to get out from behind the computer more.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."