Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: So, nobody started on a 600 sportbike?!?

  1. #21
    Just guessing, but I'd venture that most who start successfully on a 600 wouldn't spend much time here, but race straightaway to the sportbike forums to proclaim their prowess and, possibly, mock the one-step-at-a-time approach advocated by this and other BB sites.
    That does not mean we are wrong.
    Just that anyone who drops in here probably can gauge the prevailing sentiment, and would realize that nothing they could say would alter the board's fundamental position. After all, we have reason on our side .
    Anything they could offer would essentially be anecdotal, limited to their own situation. There is value in that, certainly - we cherish personal bike narratives here - but of dubious statistical significance. After all, in a game of Russian roulette, five players could argue it was "no big deal" to get out safely. Then there's the other fellow.
    As member "Matt" pointed out in his "Form/Function" piece, the ones who discover the hard way that they made a grievous error in a first-bike choice probably will not rush to the keyboard to tell all about it, since they did not meet the "no big deal to start on a 600" standard set by some of their peers - who may be exaggerating their own success, or underplaying their previous two-wheel experience.

  2. #22
    Johnny Dollar
    Guest
    Yeah, that makes sense. I guess if I went and bought a shiny new bike and slid 1/4 mile down main street on my first day......the last thing I'd do is go tell everyone on the web how dumb I am. I'm looking for a good starter 250/500 Ninja. I'm a patient man, one will show up in the paper eventually.

    Everyone in here knows what it's like to go to the dealer and drool over the bigger bikes. Since it's what you want to hear, it's easy to start thinking: "oh yeah I can handle this." Plus, the guy with the company logo on his polo shirt is telling you: "ehhh...250s are for girls and newbs, you can handle a 600 you handsome man with money burning a hole in your pocket."

    I appreciate all the comments. Great advice. The fact of the matter is that I could handle a 600.....I'll just enjoy the learning process more on a more forgiving bike. Thanks for re-enforcing that notion.

  3. #23
    sanglant
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
    Yeah, that makes sense. I guess if I went and bought a shiny new bike and slid 1/4 mile down main street on my first day......the last thing I'd do is go tell everyone on the web how dumb I am. I'm looking for a good starter 250/500 Ninja. I'm a patient man, one will show up in the paper eventually.

    Everyone in here knows what it's like to go to the dealer and drool over the bigger bikes. Since it's what you want to hear, it's easy to start thinking: "oh yeah I can handle this." Plus, the guy with the company logo on his polo shirt is telling you: "ehhh...250s are for girls and newbs, you can handle a 600 you handsome man with money burning a hole in your pocket."

    I appreciate all the comments. Great advice. The fact of the matter is that I could handle a 600.....I'll just enjoy the learning process more on a more forgiving bike. Thanks for re-enforcing that notion.

    To give a board example, Zixxer10, on his ZX10R, was turning slower lap times on it than I was on the VF500F. This was literally in the first miles I'd ridden the VF500F, too, so familiarity was not on my side (in fact, I did a remarkably poor job of shifting the bike). Zixxer can also tell you that his riding the little bike has made him ride his bigger bikes better. It's also a lot more fun to pass guys on "fast" bikes with a little buzz bomb than it is on a "hot" bike.

  4. #24
    Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    West siiide
    Posts
    28,335
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mediajackl
    Just guessing, but I'd venture that most who start successfully on a 600 wouldn't spend much time here, but race straightaway to the sportbike forums to proclaim their prowess and, possibly, mock the one-step-at-a-time approach advocated by this and other BB sites.....
    That's funny, I'm on a couple of those forums. They aren't nearly as nice (as we are) when some hard headed noob kid who insists on getting an R6 or jumping onto a liter bike. Some of those flame fests get downright ugly.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

    "I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

  5. #25
    Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! remy_marathe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,055
    Someone on this site has a signature that says:
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."
    I LOVE that quote. It pops into my head all the time, and seems like a great reason not to start on a supersport regardless of past experience. Speed limits are the same for everyone; right now with my little 500cc engine on the interstate with it revving near its maximum speed, vibrating like it's about to fall apart, I'm only going 85mph. About as fast as I'm willing to go on the freeway, with all the speeding tickets I've gotten. If I was on something better faired and with a bigger engine, it'd just feel like I was driving my grandma's Cadillac. As it is, I've been riding illegally fast everywhere and not been working very hard at it.
    *squeak* ... *squeak* ... *squeak* ....
    '98 Suzuki GS500E, a.k.a. "Orange Sonya"
    15,000 miles since 2005, not all of them safe or well executed.

  6. #26
    RiderCoach 1000 Posts! anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,373
    Where's FzSHFT? He started on an '04 GSX-R750, and gave some good honest insight about it on the old bb.com site. I frequent a board where a lot of guys have started on the Yamaha FZ6. It's not as unforgiving as the current crop of supersports, but plenty of them have gone down anyway. Some of those were wrecks that would have happened regardless of the bike, but many were due to newbie mistakes on a relatively unforgiving bike.

    Here's an example of something I noticed over there that bugs me. There have been quite a few newish riders who have gone down because the back wheel locked up on them during a panic stop. The rear slid around, maybe freaked them out, and they went down. This causes them (and others) to proclaim that using the front brake only is the best way to prevent this problem. Had they spent some time learning proper braking on a bike with a more forgiving back brake, they might be able to more easily control the FZ6 in a panic stop. Parking lot practice would help, too.
    Anthony

    '01 Aprilia Falco

  7. #27
    Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las VLXas, Nevada U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,365
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony

    Here's an example of something I noticed over there that bugs me. There have been quite a few newish riders who have gone down because the back wheel locked up on them during a panic stop. The rear slid around, maybe freaked them out, and they went down. This causes them (and others) to proclaim that using the front brake only is the best way to prevent this problem. Had they spent some time learning proper braking on a bike with a more forgiving back brake, they might be able to more easily control the FZ6 in a panic stop. Parking lot practice would help, too.
    LOL, too true. Never mind that sensitive back brake, only use the even-more-sensitive front brake!

  8. #28
    NDFlyer
    Guest
    I started on a 2000 GSX-R 600, with no previous riding experience. What happenned?
    6 mos. into riding i was cut-off by a pick-up, i locked the front wheel and off i went, a broken leg later i swore i'd never get back on that "murder-cycle". In '03 after being miserable because the bike bug started biting again, I did my research, took the msf, and in '04 got an 80's UJM rode her till she broke down (500mi) and now I have to upgrade. After being on a supersport i know I am not ready for one yet, so for now i wait because I SOOOO enjoyed going to the country on my lil GS450 and not being worried about anything. Whatever your choice is, GOODLUCK! and keep the rubber side down!

  9. #29
    literbike
    Guest
    My first bike was a 1995 Honda CBR900RR. I had very little previous riding experience, (some 50cc's, and a friends 88 Ninja 750) but I always wanted a bike ,I was 18, and the local dealer had one for ~3k. <enter impulsive teenager here>. I rode the bike home from the dealer that day, and went to the BMV and got my M/C permit the next day they were open. A few months later I went to the BMV again, passed the riding skills test and got my endorsement. I have thus far not had an accident. And you guessed it, probably more luck than rider skill or "natural" ability.

    Some things to think about:
    Unlike most people think, I believe that a light throttle hand is one of the EASIEST things to control on a bike.
    A 250cc bike will generally enter a turn just as fast as a liter-class bike if the rider has at least a little sanity left.

    That being said, If I had to do it again, I probably would have spent the 3k on a brand-spankin-new Ninja 250 and gone up from there as the older Honda (which Im sure was abused by quite a few people before me) gave me quite a bit of fits and it ended up being pretty expensive. I still like the 1000cc bikes because I do like the torque, especially for 2-up riding. Ive been really having a lot of fun riding at the track here latley, and guess what?!? I don't 'need' my 955 cc's. I really don't need a 600cc supersport there cause its still WAY more than what I need. This winter Im going to try to build a salvage title 600cc I-4 or slightly larger V-Twin cause I just don't need a 955cc there. Sorry for the long post, but hey -you asked . I guess my point is maybe starting out on a big bike isn't all THAT bad, but its not like you're going to need all the extra power for a while and your wallet (especially for insurance if you're a young rider) will thank you.
    Last edited by literbike; 08-19-2005 at 12:16 AM.

  10. #30
    My best advice is get a used 250/500 or if you find one a XJ600 SecaII, aka the beginer friendly 600. It puts down about the same performance numbers as the EX500. Similar half naked style. But IMHO a little less 80's. Ride the shit out of it. Next season sell it for mabey a couple hundred less and then look at a SPORT-touring bike like the VFR800 or the Spirit ST, these bikes still have a sport soul but will handle a longer than an hour ride better and your SO will thank you for it rather than hunched over the back of a 600SS bike.
    "Aqaba is over there, it's only a matter of going." -Lawrence
    Question 13: How slow is Greg White?
    Current: 07 V-Strom 650 Blue (DL650K7)
    Year Zero

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •