Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Psychology of Football Fandom

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ds5160 View Post
    Easy, they make more money than if they just play one game.
    Dingdingding! We have a winner! I haven't found a local team here, but I actually enjoy watching HS football as much or more than College or Pro, mostly because it's not all about the advertisement. When the term "TV-timeout" entered the lexicon, I died a little bit on the inside. I played football in High school (Freshman and Junior year, at 2 different schools), but haven't played organized basketball or baseball since the 8th grade or so. Baseball live is at least mildly interesting, but pro basketball makes me sick. A bunch of over-paid show-offs get to screw around for the first 3 quarters of the game, then basically double the score in the 4th quarter. Why are the games longer than college? To sell advertising. One of the sports channels has the 1/2 hour football game where they cut out all the BS and most of the plays that don't count and just show what was important. Pretty cool concept actually. I do understand how it seems kinda pointless to someone who never played organized sports, but also find it kinda sad and pathetic to get completely wrapped around a team (fanboi status) when you either A. didn't play that sport, or B. didn't go to that school (or have a direct relative who did).

Whatevs. More people at (or watching) sporting events means fewer idiots on the surrounding twisty roads for at least that brief period.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Wookie's Avatar
    I'll try and explain it....but not sure I can do it or not.

The reality behind fandom is that it takes peoples minds off of their mundane life. It allows them to feel a part of something bigger than they are and the teams wins and losses then become the fans wins and losses.

With football there is such a fanatic following due to the low number of games played...every game is a big game. With baseball they play what...142 games a year? Basketball...82 games a year? College basketball 30 games in the regular season. With football you get 16 regular season games in the pros and 12 in college football.

I think the really low number in college football is what causes the most mania...especially when combined with 117 other teams and multiple conferences. It becomes an east vs. west vs. south vs. mid west vs. central America type of thing....we are better than you. Then leads to the bowl games and how conferences do against other conferences.

I played team sports in high school and individual sports (track and field) in college....but am a "HUGE" college football fan....I love to watch the strategy, the passion of the players, the match up issues and how each team deals with them and the different styles of play from conference to conference.

I won't try and explain the game it's self....way to complicated to do on a forum.

Then you can also get into the "Gladiator" mentality of things. Football is our version of Gladiators. It's fast and very violent as a sport....the big difference is they don't use swords (or other weapons) or animals while in combat. We as a nation are actually quite violent and watching sports allows us an outlet for our violent tendencies without causing harm to others...which is why you see riots after championships are won.

Things have really taken off over the last decade and a half with the internet, web forums, chat rooms, media outlets, blogs, etc. it's taken the whole us vs. them mentality to whole new heights

Then you can get into the whole "Fantasy League" thing where people can win money, own players/teams, etc. and it just adds to the experience and the mania that follows.

Hope this helps a little.
    2005 Honda Aero 750: Vance & Hines Cruizers pipes, Dynojet Stage 2 re-jet and de-snorkeled air cleaner, Tourmaster Leather Saddlebags, Corbin Solo Saddle

This is me almost every day

Objects in front of your visor are dumber than they appear

My training Blog

I kind of think of football as a small, polite war with multiple battles. Fans, being mostly regional, make up the citizenry.
    2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
    2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
    BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
    Quote Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Millions of fans tune in to each and every football broadcast, many with no understanding of the sport itself but nonetheless fascinated by the flickering images and the bright, pretty colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Millions of fans tune in to each and every football broadcast, many with no understanding of the sport itself but nonetheless fascinated by the flickering images and the bright, pretty colors.
    That explains why my cat Tiger loves watching football.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Its like telling a non-rider about riding, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. As for baseball, its a best of 7 series. They have been doing it that way for over 100 years, way before TV or radio for that matter. They don't always go to 7 games.
    Ride Naked
    77 KZ650
    03 ZRX1200R
    89 KX125
    01 ZX-9R
    18 H2SX SE

Quote Originally Posted by kthkern View Post
    KZ Is the best!!!

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    I actually think that's a good thing. Everybody has an off day once in awhile. Best of 7 hopefully means the more talented team wins.

As for watching baseball, I can't say I'm a fan.

Now soccer...whoo boy! Men. In shorts. Running.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Contributor We've stopped counting... Overcaffeinated's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Soccer was one of the sports my parents tried to stick me in, against my wishes, when I was a little kid. In one game, the ball landed on my feet, and I stood on the field and cried because all the other kids started running towards me and I didn't want to get kicked in the shins. At the last minute, I ran away.

I never got why anyone would want to play sports, either.
    My two wheels:
    1981 Ashford Traditional, lace flyer, turbo kit, scotch tension, single treadle, walnut finish.
    2015 Schacht Reeves, 30", double drive, single treadle, high speed kit, ash.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    I love playing soccer. Just stick me as goalkeeper so I don't have to run, and I'm in heaven. Growing up I was always being told to move because I was in the way. I got into soccer, got rotated into goal, and suddenly I'm being praised for my natural ability to be in the way. I'm happiest not playing an actual game, but in warmups when people are just kicking the ball at me and I'm trying to keep it out of goal. When the game starts, I get a lot less work.

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Soccer was one of the sports my parents tried to stick me in, against my wishes, when I was a little kid. In one game, the ball landed on my feet, and I stood on the field and cried because all the other kids started running towards me and I didn't want to get kicked in the shins. At the last minute, I ran away.

I never got why anyone would want to play sports, either.
    Hahaha!!! Wow.

I was an all-star offered a deal to join the development club for the L.A. Aztecs when I was young. Ahhh yes... when I was young... very young
    2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
    2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
    BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
    Quote Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.