Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trickle charger vs battery tender

Contributor/RiderCoach 1000 Posts! RC-Lori's Avatar

Trickle charger vs battery tender

Well, looks like the party's over: Blizzard warning tomorrow, woo hoo! Now that winter's is rearing its ugly head here in the tundra, I reckon I ought to pick up some sort of a gizmo to keep Shania perking 'til it thaws out again. What's the difference between a trickle charger and a battery tender, and what's the most inexpensive, yet not a POS out there? I'd like something that you can hook a connector on the battery and just plug it in. Thanks, all, and here's to an early spring!!

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C (SOLD!)
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

"Though we may be learned by the help of another's knowledge, we can never be wise but by our own experience." --Montaigne

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

The biggest thing you are looking for which a battery tender has is that it has a "float" mode that basically means when the battery is fully charged, it stops charging and just monitors the voltage. If it drops below a certain thresh hold it kicks is again. So basically, you can leave the battery on the charger indefinitely without hurting it.

Some trickle charges just continue to trickle charge the battery and will eventually just burn it up because they never stop charging.

Just look for a "battery tender jr". You can usually find them for $25-$30 and sometimes even cheaper on sale.

Amazon.com has them for $23.38 right now - http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...0197139&sr=8-1
    Derbi Cycles has them for $19.99 - http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/e...x.cgi?pid=2601
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my Spot Messenger

Current Bikes --> a bunch between the misses and I! '99 KLR650, '08 EX650, '03 EX250, '01 EX250, '01 XT225, '06 Blur 150
    My Pictures

49 states & 4 provinces completed between 2006 & 2008 - US & Canada

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    The original Battery Tender has a Tender Jr. which is just for already healthy batteries, has a battery quick connect is is fairly inexpensive.

Can't really say beyond that, I have Schumacher smart chargers that have float modes once topped up. No quick connects, etc.
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

BTW, we just bought 2 more battery tender JR's at CycleGear's Black Friday sale. They had them for under $20/ea. I think we are up to 6 or 7 jr tender's now and every single one of our bikes has a plug so they all can stay plugged in all the time. It definitely saves batteries from going dead.
    BlueLghtning - Follow me on my Spot Messenger

Current Bikes --> a bunch between the misses and I! '99 KLR650, '08 EX650, '03 EX250, '01 EX250, '01 XT225, '06 Blur 150
    My Pictures

49 states & 4 provinces completed between 2006 & 2008 - US & Canada

A Battery Tender Jr came with my Marauder I bought this year. I have a Schumacher float charger on my Majesty scooter I bought at Walmart last year for less than $20. Both seem to do their job, and are fairly similar.

Both came with a plug-in connector and alligator clamp connectors. The easiest thing to do, is just connect the plug-in connector to the battery and have the connector hang out so it is accessible. Then plug it in to the charger.

The Schumacher charger was able to recharge my scooter battery earlier this year. I had stopped to talk with a neighbor (way too long), and left my key in the ON position so the light was on. When I went to start the engine, it barely turned over. I had to push it around the corner back to the garage, and hooked it up to charger.
    1998 Suzuki Marauder
    2006 Yamaha Majesty
    2002 Ramirez FL2

RiderCoach 6000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've owned and used the Schumacher 1.5 amp "On Board" chargers for years. The first one was wired in parallel with the block heater, so plugging in the car kept it warm AND charged. $30 at the local farm supply store, might be $35 now.

However, this year, I bought one of these, because I am familiar with the desulfating tech it includes on other battery applications. It's currently working on my AMX's battery.

Edited to add:

I still endorse the Schumacher for anyone who can't afford the Pulsetech, but I'm a fan of the new charger. It's also one of the most-requested "can I borrow" tools I own.
    Jeff

"There is much that can be said for quickly and efficiently traveling between two points, but, since it has nothing to do with motorcycling, we will ignore that topic."

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Try, assess, adjust, repeat. That's how kids learn through playing. Adults can learn that way, too, once we get over the the idea that doing something incorrectly makes us look stupid. Failure isn't an option in learning... it's a requirement." - me, a while ago.

'10 ZG-1400 (大きな速いバイク)
    '13 XT250

I also swear by the Battery Tender jr. I have had the leads attached to the battery and run to a convenient place, ( on my Vulcan it was behind a side panel, on the FZ it come up right in front of the handlebars) It makes it very easy to plug it in every time I return to the garage and over the winter. On the FZ I use it it to power my GPS when I ride. ( I bought an SAE plug to cigar lighter to plug the GPS into).

A week or so ago I posted a link to Motorocycle Superstore who had the BTjr. on sale for $19.99
    Less
    "Spring will be here soon........"
    2009 FZ6
    2004 Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
    2002 Savage (sold)

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have one from Sears that has a float mode, under $20. I also have one very similar that came with the BMW, also with float mode, but that it has a BMW brand on it, probably cost over $50.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    BMW riders let their bikes sit so much that they come with a factory trickle charger?
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
    BMW riders let their bikes sit so much that they come with a factory trickle charger?
    Well, y'know how it is, can't decide between riding the GS, the K bike, or the R1100 S.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."