Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passing on unmarked roads?

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! jay956's Avatar

Passing on unmarked roads?

I'm curious about the laws for passing on roads that aren't painted. No yellows to cross over so its not illegal right? Cant find anything online.
    www.TrackTactics.org
    www.RpmMotorsportsRacing.com

2003 SV650N
    1998 Superhawk - 2.5 Years & 16,000 miles (sold
    2002 F4i track - 1 Year/ 4 Track Days (sold)
    1993 VFR750 - 8 Months & 13,000 miles (sold)
    2004 Ninja 250 - 1 Year & 10,000 miles (sold)

Yup. Legal as pie.
    2009 Yamaha FZ-1 The Hematoma*
    2008 H-D FXDC The Hematoma (sold)
    BBOer Favorite Motorcycle Magazines
    Quote Originally Posted by mz33 View Post
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    Legal, just like crossing older or extremely rural railroad crossings that don't have the automated guard arms. You're on your own!
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

I would offer that depending on where you are that EXTREME caution should be used. You'll find little one track county roads that don't have paint where it would be suicidal to attempt to pass. If you have good, unobstructed views then go for it.
    "Nobody follow us or I kill myself and then her!"
    That's my kind of plan!

http://motorcycleslifeandeverything.wordpress.com

http://Teaching Anonymous.wordpress.com

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! jay956's Avatar
    cool. there a lot of roads around here where itll be straight for a couple miles in farm country, then 5 mins down the road and it turns into twisties.

like this
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...45447&t=k&z=15
    www.TrackTactics.org
    www.RpmMotorsportsRacing.com

2003 SV650N
    1998 Superhawk - 2.5 Years & 16,000 miles (sold
    2002 F4i track - 1 Year/ 4 Track Days (sold)
    1993 VFR750 - 8 Months & 13,000 miles (sold)
    2004 Ninja 250 - 1 Year & 10,000 miles (sold)

I have contemplated this same question in the past. I just went ahead and passed them as long as I could see and went on my way.

RiderCoach 2000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Same as an intersection without stop signs. By law, you don't have to stop, or even slow.
    Might want to think things through pretty carefully though.

AMarkZ

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    So,I actually checked the California Vehicle Code on this one.

They make it pretty clear in here that it is the presence of the double line, not the absense of a broken line, that denotes a passing zone.
    21460. (a) When double parallel solid lines are in place, no person driving a vehicle shall drive to the left thereof, except as permitted in this section.
    (b) When the double parallel lines, one of which is broken, are in place, no person driving a vehicle shall drive to the left thereof, except as follows:

(1) That the driver on that side of the roadway in which the broken line is in place may cross over the double line or drive to the left thereof when overtaking or passing other vehicles.

(2) As provided in Section 21460.5.

(c) Either of the markings as specified in subdivision (a) or (b) does not prohibit a driver from crossing the marking when (1) turning to the left at any intersection or into or out of a driveway or private road, or (2) making a U-turn under the rules governing that turn, and either of the markings shall be disregarded when authorized signs have been erected designating offcenter traffic lanes as permitted under Section 21657.

(d) Raised pavement markers may be used to simulate painted lines described in this section when the markers are placed in accordance with standards established by the Department of Transportation.

Amended Ch. 462, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

21750. The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle or a bicycle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left at a safe distance without interfering with the safe operation of the overtaken vehicle or bicycle, subject to the limitations and exceptions hereinafter stated.
    Amended Sec. 7, Ch. 674, Stats. 1996. Effective January 1, 1997.

21751. On a two-lane highway, no vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit such overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the safe operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.

Amended Ch. 50, Stats. 1973. Effective January 1, 1974.

21752. No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:
    (a) When approaching or upon the crest of a grade or a curve in the highway where the driver's view is obstructed within such distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction.

(b) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within 100 feet of any bridge, viaduct, or tunnel.

(c) When approaching within 100 feet of or when traversing any railroad grade crossing.

(d)When approaching within 100 feet of or when traversing any intersection.
    That section places several caveats on all passes. Which makes me wonder - since passing zones aren't so much designated as they are the lack of a prohibition on passing, if the ever so clever CalTrans crews painted a broken line right up to the edge of a tunnel, would passing in that zone be a ticketable offense? (I'm thinking yes.)

Anyway, that's the law for about 1 out of every 8 Americans. The rest of you are on your own.

(I'd imagine most states have similar stipulations about when it is legal)
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No lane markings? Pass at your own discretion.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex

06 Thruxton 900 "Crumpet" \ 09 KLX250S "Gumby" \ 91 VFR750 \ 08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper"
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    Some of the roads up in these Cdn Rocky mountains have been partially covered with new material, but NO lines. I accept the fact that if there is LOTS of clearance ahead then I wll pass, but previously & on a bend to a twisty still with no lines, BUT use to have them. That is when I look upon this as a NO PASSING section. The road form pretty well tells you what to do.
    Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you!!!!!!