Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: The BBO Cycling Club

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... caeman's Avatar
    Xavier got to go on his first long ride yesterday. He and I rode around the outside circuit of streets of Darrtown. In all, he rode at least a mile on that little bike of his. Momma was worried because the journey involved being out on a somewhat busy-at-times road to get over to the quiet streets. He did just fine.
    Chad Wilson

1984 Honda Shadow VT700c

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    Houston has a HUGE park about three miles from downtown. Part of that park includes a picnic area with a 1.3-mile curvy road that's actually closed to traffic much of the week. Cyclists pretty much take it over, and every Wednesday in the summer they hold crits. It's a good training road, and a good way to increase your distance, and it's halfway between the office and home. Went riding after work yesterday when the temp was about 104*. Despite the shade on the route, my cycling partner could only last 6 miles. I gave it up after 10, because I needed the energy to hit the store and cook dinner. guys on pricier bikes than mine were blowing my doors off. Wish I could afford a lighter, faster bike, but I KNOW it's not the bike. I need to condition myself more, but this heat! UGH. I'm starting to feel the world is conspiring against my goals, but I'm still gonna crank out what I can.
    Heat kills me. I can only go about 2/3 of normal pace when it's too hot outside. If you add humidity, then I might as well have stayed home and slept. I have a trail about 1/2 mile away that is a former rail line converted to a multi-use path. Bikes, run, walk, skating, it can get busy on a nice weekend. But, it is a nice trail, fairly flat, and it is about 40 miles of paved, non-motorized trail.

Flirting With The Redline JohnBryer's Avatar
    What's humidity? I don't miss living in NC at all! I can go out for a ride here, and easily catch 10,000 feet of climbing.
    '05 BMW R1200 GS
    '04 BMW R1150 RT

I've been riding early mornings. It's not too bad until I head home and into the blazing sun. I made it 12 miles today but I was feeling it when I got home. I'm hoping this heat wave breaks soon.

2009 BMW F650GS TwinFirefly Sold
    2005 Honda VTX 1300R - Sold
    2002 Honda ACE - Sold

Mer, on the weekends I ride in the mornings. I can get in about 20 miles by 10 a.m. and it's already getting toasty. Allegedly we might get a break in the triple digits mid to late next week, and we might get some rain too! Is it sad that I think temps in the mid 90s would be heavenly?
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Yea I was just telling a coworker yesterday that it was going to feel like a cool front if the temps ever dropped below 100. Sad but true.

2009 BMW F650GS TwinFirefly Sold
    2005 Honda VTX 1300R - Sold
    2002 Honda ACE - Sold

Here is the Garmin file of my ride today. 40 miles. 4,750 feet of elevation gain.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108012398
    '05 BMW R1200 GS
    '04 BMW R1150 RT

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    30 flat miles today. Need to build up that cycling butt callous again.

The only flat rides here in Utah are at gym in spin classes.
    '05 BMW R1200 GS
    '04 BMW R1150 RT

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... caeman's Avatar
    Last night, Xavier demonstrated the effectiveness of his safety gear.

Grandma gave him one of extra bikes at her house is the next size up. The bigger wheels made him more stable, but he went turn and the wheel went a bit further than he planned. He helicoptered off the bike and onto the ground.

He laid for there for two seconds as I rushed over. He then got up, picked up his bike, and went riding off again.

He now understands better why we make him wear the helmet, joint pads and denim pants.
    Chad Wilson

1984 Honda Shadow VT700c