Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I convince my parents I can handle a sportbike?

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... caeman's Avatar
    Alternately, you could wait until you are 18, move out of the house and then do whatever you want without need of your mom's permissions.
    Chad Wilson

1984 Honda Shadow VT700c

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Paduan's Avatar
    Listen to your mother.

She has a resume of life experiences that you have not yet begun to gather.

She is smarter than you. This is a fact.

Her reasons for not wanting you to ride are more valid that your reasons for wanting to.

If something happens to you, her heart will be broken.

Nothing is worth that.

Wait until you are a full-grown adult, out there on your own.

I've been where you are. And I've been where she is.

Wait......
    The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time congress meets.

2005 Goldwing GL1800 - Arctic Camo

Quote Originally Posted by Paduan View Post
    Listen to your mother.

She has a resume of life experiences that you have not yet begun to gather.

She is smarter than you. This is a fact.

Her reasons for not wanting you to ride are more valid that your reasons for wanting to.

If something happens to you, her heart will be broken.

Nothing is worth that.

Wait until you are a full-grown adult, out there on your own.

I've been where you are. And I've been where she is.

Wait......
    yeah that...

~Signed, a Mom lol
    Kath ~ '08 GSX650F
    MITGC #33

"The destination is simply an excuse for the ride." ~XC Rider, ADV

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    Best way to convince your mom... grow up to be an adult. Then realistically assess, after spending several years driving, whether you can handle a sportbike. Riding a bike around on the road is very easy, stupid easy, from a physical standpoint. Having the Spidey-sense to quickly assess and react in traffic comes from experience being in traffic and reacting to it. Best to do so surrounded by a steel cage.
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

Hittin' The Twisties
    Well, I don't agree with a lot of what is recommended on these threads, but this time I have to agree. Get used to a car first and then move on to a bike later on. All the 16 yr olds who have gone on before you, have created such a mess you would be nearly uninsurable!

Try to get a dirt bike if you really want to ride. Hopefully there is someplace near you to ride a dirt bike. A good 250 would be fun and people always seem to get injured on dirt bikes. This will allow you to assess how you handle being injured on a bike.

Later on when your older, you can get that new FZ1 and ride a 60 foot wheelie for mom to make her proud!!
    2009 Suzuki B-King My first bike ever!!!

Yah know... when I was a kid... at 13 in Texas you could ride a scooter that would do 45 mph. About 1/4 of the kids in Jr High had them...more a reflection of wealth than anything else. I had a paper route and was closing in on an Allstate scooter when we moved to Oklahoma and those backwards people didn't allow 13 yr olds to have them...

About the time this popped up here... a pilot I know who flies Air Ambulance (MAMA) up in Asheville, VA stopped by to visit at my hangar. He mostly rides a Road King so we usually start out talking flying and end up talking motorcycles. This time we talked motorcycle accidents we've flown. He flies the Blue Ridge Pkwy and as far West as the Dragon.

What he is seeing over and over are middle aged men and women on cruisers involved in single vehicle crashes... exactly what I'm seeing here but many times my numbers. You know....'mature' riders. He said that flying a young person or rider of a sportbike is rare for him. He said "maybe they all die on impact or maybe they wear enough gear that they aren't hurt bad enough for a helicopter... or maybe they are just not having accidents...I don't know, but I almost never fly sportbike riders... but old people (he's 35 so figure that means 40 up) on cruisers are just crashing all over the place..."

So maybe the safety of "maturity" is just an illusion that we sell ourselves...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Afflo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    Yah know... when I was a kid... at 13 in Texas you could ride a scooter that would do 45 mph. About 1/4 of the kids in Jr High had them...more a reflection of wealth than anything else. I had a paper route and was closing in on an Allstate scooter when we moved to Oklahoma and those backwards people didn't allow 13 yr olds to have them...

About the time this popped up here... a pilot I know who flies Air Ambulance (MAMA) up in Asheville, VA stopped by to visit at my hangar. He mostly rides a Road King so we usually start out talking flying and end up talking motorcycles. This time we talked motorcycle accidents we've flown. He flies the Blue Ridge Pkwy and as far West as the Dragon.

What he is seeing over and over are middle aged men and women on cruisers involved in single vehicle crashes... exactly what I'm seeing here but many times my numbers. You know....'mature' riders. He said that flying a young person or rider of a sportbike is rare for him. He said "maybe they all die on impact or maybe they wear enough gear that they aren't hurt bad enough for a helicopter... or maybe they are just not having accidents...I don't know, but I almost never fly sportbike riders... but old people (he's 35 so figure that means 40 up) on cruisers are just crashing all over the place..."

So maybe the safety of "maturity" is just an illusion that we sell ourselves...
    Perhaps that is folks who have never ridden, but bite off too much to start because a "real man" doesn't get a little bike. Or, don't realize that their reflexes aren't the same as when they rode in their 20's. Or maybe that sportbike riders tend to wear more gear?

Really just conjecture on my part. Do we have any actuaries on here?
    2011 Triumph America, made perfect with another Corbin Seat.
    (sold) '08 Ninja 650R with super-comfy Corbin seat
    (sold) '06 Ninja 250R, possibly best learning-bike ever.

"For me it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    - Carl Sagan - "The Demon-Haunted World" - fantastic read!

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some of the most challenging students in the Basic rider classes are "Experienced" riders, with 10, 20, sometimes 30 years of "experience". Basic skills were never learned... the only way they've survived is a combination of luck, and proper application of defensive driving skills to minimize the amount of "luck" needed at any given moment.

These are the people who learn for the first time that the front brake is not going to throw them over the handlebar if they use it; that the bike turns quicker if you consciously tell it to with a press, rather than just "suggesting" it by leaning your body; and (sometimes) that alcohol doesn't really enhance your riding abilities, you're just too drunk to notice how bad you really are...
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Yep. In the meantime get a dirtbike, that will go a long way towards getting your riding fix, you'll learn low speed skills on the way and possibly be a better rider for it.

The big thing is to not force the issue, that can cause a serious rift in the family, and she's not going to change her mind. Plus the fact is she's right, they're dangerous.

The fact I ride is not to be mentioned, I'm not to ride my bike to family functions, it's been requested that I cover the bike when she comes over. I had intentions of letting her go to the grave without knowing I had a crash until my friends leaked it. Life's just easier that way.

I'm 36.
    +1x10^6.

My wife is dead-set against my riding. It's not that I'll be too dangerous, or don't have defensive driving skills, that I'm a noob on a motorcycle. It's all the other nuts out there with the potential to seriously injure or kill me she's worried about. [So we won't discuss the 3,000-4,000 miles I put on my bicycle each year.] My father feels the same way, and there's a general agreement not to tell my mom of my interest.

And I'm 54. Also married 26 years, 2 kids, and other than this difference of opinion on motorcycles, my wife is a wonderful person (seriously) I'd do anything for. So I'm not about to wreck everything over a bike. Although I still have hope. You have plenty of time.

Your mom is reacting emotionally to your interest. Reasoning with her is simply not going to work at this point. Orpheus and everyone else is correct that you have options, and as tough as it may seem (and I was 16 once and have a 19 and 16 yo so I have some idea what you are going through) you need to be patient. No one is outlawing motorcycles any time soon. As others have pointed out, you also need to develop driving skills and ability to read traffic and road conditions and develop the maturity to recognize when you are getting in over your head and to back off when that happens. Much easier to develop these skills in a car. You can learn to drive a stick shift (the foot/hand coordination on a bike is different but you'll know what a clutch is) and learn basic maintenance which will stand you in good stead regardless.

It is also possible that it's the idea of a sport bike that is frightening to your mom. There are many street, dual sport, and cruiser style bikes and even scooters that have plenty of performance for a beginner and are not as intimidating to non-riders. Might be an option. Ditto the dirt bike suggestion.

My son has also expressed an interest in getting a motorcycle. I'm not against his riding, and my advice to him is he needs to wait until he can afford to purchase, insure, and operate it himself. Maybe when he's done with college - he doesn't need one now, and needs a bit more experience behind the wheel. And to take the MSF class and always wear gear when he rides (I'll make sure he has good gear - I want him to stay in one piece, too).
    (ALMOST) TOTAL MIDDLE AGE NOOB (ATMAN)

"At the time, it seemed the logical thing to do."

Flirting With The Redline keithb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflo View Post
    Perhaps that is folks who have never ridden, but bite off too much to start because a "real man" doesn't get a little bike.
    Sorta OT, but I hate that sentiment - I've had so many people who have no experience other than a ride around the block on the back of someone's bike tell me "What? Just a 250?"
    '74 Harley Sportster