Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I convince my parents I can handle a sportbike?

BBO Communications Liaison 5000 Posts! RockyMtnRoadRash's Avatar
    I got nothin' dude, sorry. I suppose your best bet is probably to do stuff that will demonstrate to the parental units that you're smart, safe, and trustworthy. Good grades, not getting into trouble, take the MSF course, figure out all the gear you're gonna have (ATGATT). Maybe you can convince one or both parents to take the course with you.

As it stands if you're on their insurance/payroll they can pretty much say no and you have to suck it up. The ninja 250's a fantastic bike, both as a trainer and cheap transportation.

I didn't get a bike until I was 24 and paying for myself. My mother was also Not Pleased.
    -RMRR
    "This guarantee does not cover sharkbite, bear attack, or children under 5." - Pelican case lifetime guarantee

It's vitally important to know the correct name for all parts of a vehicle so that you can curse them accurately when they break.

Давай детка, будь моей обезьянкой

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! SKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
    Sorry, but it's tough love time....

You're 16 and you're new to driving. You need to spend a couple of years on the road in a car developing your driving skills before you go trying to jump on a bike. There are a whole lot of skills you need to learn and situations you need to recognize just to stay safe on the road. Getting on a motorcycle makes learning to drive safely a whole lot more complex. I admire your enthusiasm, but I think your mom is right....for now. Drive a car for a couple of years without any problems (or accidents or speeding tickets) and prove to her that you're responsible and can be trusted. That will help change her mind.....
    Yep. In the meantime get a dirtbike, that will go a long way towards getting your riding fix, you'll learn low speed skills on the way and possibly be a better rider for it.

The big thing is to not force the issue, that can cause a serious rift in the family, and she's not going to change her mind. Plus the fact is she's right, they're dangerous.

The fact I ride is not to be mentioned, I'm not to ride my bike to family functions, it's been requested that I cover the bike when she comes over. I had intentions of letting her go to the grave without knowing I had a crash until my friends leaked it. Life's just easier that way.

I'm 36.
    Stay safe, keep the shiny side up and never pass up a chance to go after that horizon.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Sell dad on the idea that he can ride it, too. Then have him sell your mom on the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    What is your previous history as a driver? Oops, there's that little problem of no history of your own, just that of every other 16-year-old driver, and it isn't good. Motorcycling is a head game - you have to use your brain to stay ahead of even the smallest motor vehicle, if you want to be safe. You might want to prove yourself in other ways, first.
    There is a flip side to all this. In two years this young man will be able to join the Army and if he qualifies for Flight School, a year later he could be a Pilot in Command of a UH-60 or AH-64 helicopter flying the same into battle...with little or no "history". We had guys who before their 20th birthday were Flight Leaders with over 1,000 combat flying hours responsible for leading 10 helicopters and over 100 men on air assaults. That's 3 years older than this young man...and a position of responsibility greater than most folks achieve in their lifetime.

I was one of the 'older' pilots at 20... I also remember being treated like I was 'just a kid' because of my age in the civilian world after those experiences...

In my grandfather's time a 16 year old was expected to shoulder a man's job. My dad with the help of 'Fearless' Fain (future Chief Pilot of Braniff and a Concorde Captain) rebuilt a Curtiss Robin at 15 and was flying it by 16.

Some 16 yr olds deserve to be treated like kids...some 16 yr olds deserve to be treated like responsible young men and women.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Sell dad on the idea that he can ride it, too. Then have him sell your mom on the idea.

See? LDS knows how to work it. Divide and conquer.

Maybe you can work your way up to a sport bike and go with a street-worthy dual sport first. I agree with the others about driving experience. I don't think my kids will ever be a good enough driver to be out there on a motorcycle. Nevertheless, I took the BRC with my hubby and daughter and she turned out to be a natural.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Repeater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usafa2015 View Post
    I'm 16 and I recently became aware of the advantages of owning a motorcycle, mainly a sportbike (cheap to buy, cheap to maitain, cheap to insure, cheap on gas).
    Before you worry about your mother's opinion of this, reality should still present itself in the form of an anonymous internet arsehole - me. It just seems like you have a few things to straighten out about sportbikes here...

1) Sportbikes are not cheap to buy. Naked standards are usually much less expensive to purchase outright (whether that be a Nighthawk, an old GS, or even an SV) than comparably-aged sportbikes. A good dual-sport is even cheaper than that.

2) Sportbikes are not cheap to maintain. Ask a shop how much it costs to adjust the valves on a GSX-R, and how much they'd charge you for the same service on a simpler, easier to maintain standard (like a Seca II or a ZR-7S) or a sportbike with tighter packaging, double the valves, and always needing to remove the cams to replace a shim)...

3) Who told you that these things were cheap to insure? Once you get above the 500cc class, sportbikes are stupid expensive to insure, especially if you're under the age of 30 and single. For a 16 year old, it would be murder. Through the insurance company I use now, it would have been $3200/year to insure any of the 600cc sportbikes when I was 25 years old. A 16-year-old can be $7000+/year to insure these, and no, I'm not exaggerating that. A teenager on a sportbike usually means a very short, very exciting life for the sportbike, and often times the teenager. It's risk assessment, and insurance companies are quite good at it, and there's a reason why the insurance costs so much for certain demographics.

Now with all of that said, the Ninja 250 sits squarely outside of sportbike territory - I personally refer to it as a faired sport-standard. The ergos are upright, but it still retains the fairings that sportbikes usually have. I have no problem with 16-year-olds riding, and personally I'd like to see more of it. But you need to choose your battles wisely, especially when it comes to convincing your parents. First off, drop even the Ninja 250 concept right now - not because it's a bad starter bike (it is the best around, IMO) but because it looks fast. No matter how much convincing you're going to do, it's going to be hard to get your mom to go along with that one. As a 16-year-old, it's probably not too far out there to assume that however fast the bike looks like it could go, your parents will figure you'll be going that fast at some point.

Seriously - start with something that looks as unintimidating as a motorcycle can look. You don't have to get a total trash-can, just stay away from the bright colors, the fairings, and the pretensions of performance. Go look for older UJMs in good shape - Suzuki GS450s, Honda CB400T hawks, that kind of bike. They'll be much cheaper to buy than a Ninja 250, 1/4 the cost to maintain (it's silly how simple some of these old UJMs are), and probably on the lines of 1/8 to insure. You'll still learn the basics of riding the next couple of years, and your folks will feel better about you moving up to another bike of your choice if you're still at home then, too.

And what is it with everyone's moms? I didn't start riding until I was 25, but my mom thought it was cool! I have no doubt that if I'd had an interest in it when I was 16, I could have made it happen...
    Dude, I loved your band's cover of "Straight Edge Revenge". I would've sang along but I was at the back buying beers. - Scott Vogel

100% bikeless - a terrible way to be.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! ds5160's Avatar
    My dad was the one who wasn't fond of me learning to ride. My mom loved the idea, wants to know when I'll take her for a ride. My dad tried once on his brother's dirt bike, fell off, got bruised, and never touched a bike again.

Contributor 1000 Posts! HappyPuppy's Avatar
    Really a lot of good ideas for parents too as if you have not you will be confronted with the issue. It is good thread and why the forum is helpful. I understand the Helicopter analogy, my Dad flew B-25's before he could drive and I was drafted before I could drink an beer, much less vote. So much depends on the young persons maturity level. A Parent see a squid and assumes it is a young and crazy young person. I like the bicycle idea, BMX is fun too. Perhaps just ask to take MSF, they provide the bike too. get some car seat time show you can drive safely and well. Then work on Dad to try it again, with you , later. I can agree with your Mom for now. I worked in insurance for 10 years and the odds are against you not crashing. Young Auto rates are high too, for a reason. My daughter at 18 had totaled 2 new cars. She was a good student and safe, both accidents were not her fault. One she was rear ended by a truck that was going way too fast too stop at the light, the second was street racers into a turn using both lanes and a head on. She was not injured in both , but the cars were junk after. A son clipped a roadside mailbox and did 5k of damage ( it was in cement) I have no idea how he did it. Just this new driver habit of driving too far to the right. Just get that seat time, stay accident and ticket free and show them responsibility.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! A_Pmech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Homewrecker!

That's just... Devious!
    Every zero you add to the tolerance adds a zero to the price.

Time to spare? Travel by air!

Red '96 GS500, slightly modified.
    Black '03 SV650, heavily modified.

Flirting With The Redline We've stopped counting... caeman's Avatar
    A family that rides together, stays together.
    Chad Wilson

1984 Honda Shadow VT700c